U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
 
841 posts, read 2,137,031 times
Reputation: 385

Advertisements

I moved down from NYC almost 3 years ago...(wow!..can't believe it's been almost 3 years!! ) I LOVE living out here...there is so much to do and see. My kids have a much better way of life, schools are better and the air is much cleaner. I love that Carowinds is just a 25 minute drive for me vs. 2.5 hours back home..love that there's always some kind of event going on out here..love the mountains!

Sometimes I get bored out here..but not because there's nothing to do..but because I have no friends to hang with..since all my friends and family are in NYC...Everything else is better out here..otherwise, I would not be living here.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
 
1,554 posts, read 2,922,221 times
Reputation: 805
Samana - what kinds of things are you doing to meet people? What's your sitch? Can you join a book club? There are lots of those in Charlotte and they're a great way to meet people. My neighborhood has several Bunco groups. We "play" for about ten minutes and then drink, eat and socialize for the rest of the night. Besides work, the best friends I've made were at my neighborhood pool. Are any of those things options for you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I moved down from NYC almost 3 years ago...(wow!..can't believe it's been almost 3 years!! ) I LOVE living out here...there is so much to do and see. My kids have a much better way of life, schools are better and the air is much cleaner. I love that Carowinds is just a 25 minute drive for me vs. 2.5 hours back home..love that there's always some kind of event going on out here..love the mountains!

Sometimes I get bored out here..but not because there's nothing to do..but because I have no friends to hang with..since all my friends and family are in NYC...Everything else is better out here..otherwise, I would not be living here.
I agree, right down the line. However, I came from the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia (William Penn's "green country town")

I joined the Southern Arts Society. There's a photography club that meets once a month. Interested?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
 
110 posts, read 277,551 times
Reputation: 45
The alternative, to get that lifestyle rich with Arts, culture, and worldly people - is going to cost you. LA, SF, NYC, Boston, pick your poison.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
 
2,820 posts, read 4,914,954 times
Reputation: 2535
IMHO, what you just stated is worth so much more to me. Cultural cities tend to stimulate the mind more and personally you just can't get the same type of experience in smaller cities that lack what larger cities have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
 
110 posts, read 277,551 times
Reputation: 45
The caveat is, you must be a top 5% earner to live comfortably in those awesome places. For the rest of us, Charlotte is just fine
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
 
841 posts, read 2,137,031 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Samana - what kinds of things are you doing to meet people? What's your sitch? Can you join a book club? There are lots of those in Charlotte and they're a great way to meet people. My neighborhood has several Bunco groups. We "play" for about ten minutes and then drink, eat and socialize for the rest of the night. Besides work, the best friends I've made were at my neighborhood pool. Are any of those things options for you?
My neighborhood does not have any amenities so it's very hard to even meet people in the neighborhood. The only people I know are my immediate neighbors (right next door) and some parents of kids that my kids know. I am also a very shy person so I am not as outgoing as my husband is...he makes friends everywhere! Another disadvantage for me is that since I live in Clover, everything is a drive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, right down the line. However, I came from the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia (William Penn's "green country town")

I joined the Southern Arts Society. There's a photography club that meets once a month. Interested?
Actually, it's funny that you mention that because I love photography and I've been wanting to get into it..and I found a place not too far from my job - The Light Factory - that I've been meaning to check out. But can you PM me information on the photography club you attend? Sounds like fun.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
 
467 posts, read 859,600 times
Reputation: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbelman View Post
The caveat is, you must be a top 5% earner to live comfortably in those awesome places. For the rest of us, Charlotte is just fine

More like top 1%. I know lawyers in the SF Bay Area at top firms and none of them can afford to own homes. A cheaply-built, 2000 sq. ft. prefab. starter home that's a 45-minute commute from work in a crowded, mowed-over subdivision with no character under high-voltage power lines runs you $800k. I see the homes top partners own, and it's about on par with what'll cost you $300k in Charlotte. And that takes 10 years of earning $500k+ to afford. Housing is an afterthought - it's just a basic place to sleep to give you exposure to arts/culture/nightlife/hipsters/etc. But that's not for me. I can't imagine raising kids in that environment.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,749 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
IMHO, what you just stated is worth so much more to me. Cultural cities tend to stimulate the mind more and personally you just can't get the same type of experience in smaller cities that lack what larger cities have.



We don't lack culture here at all. Even among our small towns.



Southeastern culture is probably the most defined, prominent, and established (and ridiculed) cultures in the USA. Probably right there with the Northeastern culture. That's probably why we drive each other nuts for the most parts Get a Typical New Yorker With a Typical Southerner. Accents and all. See how that Conversation goes.


You must be talking about cultural in the sense of having a lot of that Fancy Stuff from Ingland and Germuny and them NATO people
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Reputation: 8943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
My neighborhood does not have any amenities so it's very hard to even meet people in the neighborhood. The only people I know are my immediate neighbors (right next door) and some parents of kids that my kids know. I am also a very shy person so I am not as outgoing as my husband is...he makes friends everywhere! Another disadvantage for me is that since I live in Clover, everything is a drive.




Actually, it's funny that you mention that because I love photography and I've been wanting to get into it..and I found a place not too far from my job - The Light Factory - that I've been meaning to check out. But can you PM me information on the photography club you attend? Sounds like fun.
Absolutely, but I'll post a bit of information here, for all to see.

I joined last month & went to the April meeting. There was a speaker who discussed some software. The speaker is connected to the Light Factory & has a day job at Wachovia.

The "leader" of the photography club is a professional photographer who hails from New England. Although photography was not my major, I had photography at college (Philadelphia College of Art, now part of The University of the Arts) I was looking for a way to meet more people & this fit the bill for me.

The leader gives a monthly assignment & the results are shown & critiqued at the monthly meeting. Many had no formal training.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top