U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,019 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Reputation: 9046

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
We don't lack culture here at all. Even among our small towns.



Southeastern culture is probably the most defined, prominent, and established (and ridiculed) cultures in the USA. Probably right there with the Northeastern culture. That's probably why we drive each other nuts for the most parts Get a Typical New Yorker With a Typical Southerner. Accents and all. See how that Conversation goes.


You must be talking about cultural in the sense of having a lot of that Fancy Stuff from Ingland and Germuny and them NATO people
I can't rep you again.


Yeah, apparently someone forgot to tell the people west of Charlotte that this is a no culture zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
 
308 posts, read 531,249 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
I've decided that I think Charlotte is boring because I'm ignorant of much of what goes on here and I blame that ignorance on having two young kids which prevent me from engaging in a way I would if I didn't have them (I'm glad I have them, though. They're cute).

For me, it's a case of me being accustomed to living in big cities and this being a small city. It's not a bad thing to be a small city, it just takes some management of expectations.
But, I'm happy we're here for our kids. This is a better place to raise kids than where we came from, and cheaper to boot. Plus, I love spring here.
It seems as if your are in the dark. First, you think it is boring here yet you admit that you are ignorant of what is going on. You further say that your two children that hold you down. Your go on to say that Charlotte is a "small" city.

Sorry love, but you make absolutely no sense. How can you make a judgement if you have absolutely no experience. Furthermore, charlotte is not a super big city, but it is the 17th largest. It certainly isn't "small". Granted, it isn't Rome, but how many American cities are? I think you might want to proofread your posting next time. If I were you boss, I would have to repremand you for writing a 'not so well thought out' article. LOL!! I am not defending the city or criticising it. I am just saying that your comment is confusing.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
 
308 posts, read 531,249 times
Reputation: 278
Show me a complainer that has actually gotten out and tried all the clubs, restaurants, museums, performing arts venues, sports venues, concerts, and special events uptown, and I will show you a credible person. Until then they are just people that like to complain. Again, Charlotte isn't London, but not many places in the U.S. are. But boring, it it really isn't (for me anyway, but I am an outgoing person).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,157,742 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
Show me a complainer that has actually gotten out and tried all the clubs, restaurants, museums, performing arts venues, sports venues, concerts, and special events uptown, and I will show you a credible person. Until then they are just people that like to complain. Again, Charlotte isn't London, but not many places in the U.S. are. But boring, it it really isn't (for me anyway, but I am an outgoing person).
This is why I don't think people actually mean that it's boring, but rather that they just don't find what they are looking for here. The things you listed might not be what everyone is looking for. I couldn't care less about clubs, restaurants and non-college sports. The performing arts and concert events I've been to here were ok. About what you'd expect from a mid-size city that is just beginning to appreciate the arts. Just as someone else posted that anyone who is bored here should move uptown, because the suburbs are just boring (ignorant), this, imo, is along the same lines.

Everyone has their niche and not everyone is interested in the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 PM
 
473 posts, read 865,771 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I can't rep you again.


Yeah, apparently someone forgot to tell the people west of Charlotte that this is a no culture zone.
Or that things like the H. Burlon Craig Pottery Festival, the Valle Country Fair, the Wooly Worm Festival, the Lexington BBQ Festival, MerleFest, Gaston County fish camps, NC bbq, or bluegrass and folk jams don't count as "culture." These things are all within a distance radius that would be considered as contained within a larger metro. area like L.A. or SF. I guess it's only cultural if it's of another ethnicity as opposed to regional American, and only worth intellectual muster if it has already been fully explored by ivory tower elites. My suggestion is to take one's wits and meet folks who carry generations of traditions, stories and handiwork and do some empirical or first-source intellectual exploration of one's own. That's as much fun as gathering in a SoMa coffee house and contemplating a poetry jam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,019 posts, read 27,311,496 times
Reputation: 9046
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Or that things like the H. Burlon Craig Pottery Festival, the Valle Country Fair, the Wooly Worm Festival, the Lexington BBQ Festival, MerleFest, Gaston County fish camps, NC bbq, or bluegrass and folk jams don't count as "culture." These things are all within a distance radius that would be considered as contained within a larger metro. area like L.A. or SF. I guess it's only cultural if it's of another ethnicity as opposed to regional American, and only worth intellectual muster if it has already been fully explored by ivory tower elites. My suggestion is to take one's wits and meet folks who carry generations of traditions, stories and handiwork and do some empirical or first-source intellectual exploration of one's own. That's as much fun as gathering in a SoMa coffee house and contemplating a poetry jam.
I agree. Gastonia, Kings Mountain, & Shelby all have at least one gallery. Gastonia is currently changing over a building to be rented as artists studios. You don't even have to think of regional culture. There are local theaters for plays. Shelby has the Don Gibson Theater. . .

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-04-2011 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,041 posts, read 13,137,084 times
Reputation: 2324
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
This is why I don't think people actually mean that it's boring, but rather that they just don't find what they are looking for here. The things you listed might not be what everyone is looking for. I couldn't care less about clubs, restaurants and non-college sports. The performing arts and concert events I've been to here were ok. About what you'd expect from a mid-size city that is just beginning to appreciate the arts. Just as someone else posted that anyone who is bored here should move uptown, because the suburbs are just boring (ignorant), this, imo, is along the same lines.

Everyone has their niche and not everyone is interested in the same things.
Excellent post, coastal. Same here. I also don't care about doing out-doorsy stuff, the concept of having to drive hours to do some things is beyond my tolerance level and even though there are a lot of festivals, they are identical year after year. So, if you've gone to one, you've gone to them all. There's no point in going again.

Charlotte is a great hub...to go elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
 
136 posts, read 338,564 times
Reputation: 76
I just moved here from NY/NJ area. I don't find it boring. My comfort zone is shopping or cruising the malls..And I'm a dude. Nothing boring about that. Like someone else said, only boring people get bored.

If you know that you like something, before you move somewhere, check it out. DON'T JUST MOVE THERE! But I guess it is what it is. I just don't find anything boring here. I love to live.

JE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,682,822 times
Reputation: 3695
I live outside of 485, came from NJ and LOVE where I live (union county)! The reason is because FOR ME I take part in activities w/my family that keep me busy (ie fishing/hiking/sports/etc)

Yantosh and Urban assume everyone will be bored/unhappy living outside of 485 if they come from the northeast or a more populated area.

That blanket statement is 100% untrue.

Not everyone who lived up there went to the city 3 times a week. Many people just did their day to day routine, kabittzed and had block parties w/the neighbors (just like here), and raised their kids in a nice suburban setting!

To paint that picture is false guys (just some friendly advice coming from someone who actually came from that area!)

Sorry to break the news to some, but its a personal CHOICE whether to be bored or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,058,541 times
Reputation: 2271
If you are bored in Charlotte, try Rachel, NV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top