U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,227,970 times

Advertisements

Well, as everyone probably knows, I came this way from MA, CT, NY, and the NC Triad. For me, there is certainly way more things to do on a regular basis than I ever had before. I do, however, consider the whole state when comtemplating activities that I may enjoy. I enjoy driving, and I consider that an activity unto itself, so even just taking a drive somewhere is OK with me. I like live music, and Charlotte certainly has that covered, with multiple indoor and outdoor venues, as well as many free concerts all over the area. There are the free outdoor movies (I know, they're usually targeted for kids). There are all of the beautiful greenways to walk/run/bicycle. As y'all know, I like cars and all forms of motorsports, and we've go plenty of car shows, cruises, race tracks, and dragways, here and elsewhere, to keep me entertained. Not really big on professional or college sports, so I don't really care one way or the other. Although, when UNC-Charlotte gets the football team, I just might become a regular spectator. I'm also at a point in my life where I'm comtemplating taking up golf, so I imagine that must be an extremely enjoyable, almost year-round activity in this area.

Now, of course, being single, living in an apartment, and being unemployed, pretty much makes life extremely boring, but that's not Charlotte's fault. Sometimes, I'll just go to one of the Charlotte neighborhoods, park the car, and get out and walk around for an hour or two.

Yes, there are some improvements in a few areas that I'd like to see, but nothing really radical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,993,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Yantosh and Urban assume everyone will be bored/unhappy living outside of 485 if they come from the northeast or a more populated area.

That blanket statement is 100% untrue.
I think you misunderstood my post. This is what I stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
EXACTLY!!! I just don't get how some folks who LOVE "the big city" could leave "the big city" for a suburb of Charlotte; then complain about being bored. It makes no sense. As I type, there is a 50 plus story condo building uptown that has nearly 400 units available (at a fraction of the cost of "big cities"). Walking distance from restaurants, NBA, NFL, performing arts, museums, concerts, night life etc... Yet these "big city folks" choose to live out in the middle of nowhere (ie Union county) then complain that "Charlotte" is boring.
Notice what I underlined and placed in bold. FWIW, I am actually a Queens NY native who was raised in Charlotte. Anyways, my post was directed at "big city lovers" (not all Northerners). Trust me, I am aware that there are plenty of suburban loving northerners (I was NOT talking about you guys). I was talking about the grit/urban/mass transit-loving urbanites that flock to suburban locations in and around Charlotte then b#tch about it being boring. These folks should have moved near uptown or not have moved to Charlotte at all.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
If you have a legitimate (or formed opinion) that provides a sense of substance to the topic, then fine, but limiting a response to a "10-year old" screaming "are we there yet" from the backset of a car is unacceptable...aka, a forum troll. It doesn't require the sophistication or culture of someone from NYC's park avenue to form constructive criticism, even a simple farm-raised-tobacco-hick-from-down-east-NC can do so.

The nice thing about living in NC (or piedmont), is the proximity to other mid-size cities. Charlotte will never offer the urban amenities of DC's Cleveland Park (neither will Atlanta), but there are sufficient things to do and places to see.

To some extent, there are mental expectations and barriers that will never allow some tranplants to appreciate certain aspects of Charlotte (it ain't NYC or Houston). Even the water and doughnuts are better in blanky-t-blank place.

And to the OP, boring is a relative term and needs to be put in it's proper context. Example: For true urbanites, most sun-belt cities are (or can be) boring, as an African American and non-hipster, I find Asheville boring (pretty and interesting place, but would be rather bored if I had to live there), etc,....etc.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: orphan the referring post deleted

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM

811 posts, read 1,646,802 times
Other than not having a nice waterfront area or a public lake/river area that doesn't require owning a boat or a house on the water--I think Charlotte has the things most people want.

When we return to Pittsburgh that is the BIGGEST thing I miss. Being able to hang out downtown on the North Shore walking around the parks along the river. Having the sporting events all in the same general area-maybe having the ballpark DOWNTOWN isn't a bad idea??

It does seem like you have to drive a lot to get to the different places/spread out.

Most people escape to the burbs if they have CHILDREN because they want better schools. If the downtown public schools were higher rated I would seriously consider living in a highrise. I would have a lot more time and money not taking care of a lawn! You can take the Lynx but it doesn't connect to nice shopping centers. Great to get to the Bars on South Blvd but not much family oriented.

Plenty of museums, science centers, broadway shows, there is the Splash Planet, Carowinds and it has all the major sports just not all top level like NHL or MLB. Plenty of music venues and artists that come. Shopping centers to cover all walks of life, restaurants galore...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 AM

686 posts, read 1,414,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Like I tell my children, only boring people get bored.
That is EXACTLY what I was going to say!!!

Charlotte is a great city with lots to offer if you look for it. You make your own happiness and entertainment. Most often, those who are bored in Charlotte will be bored elsewhere. And what is the common denominator in all that???

I have a new respect for lilyonthelake for admitting that her boredom is due to ignorance on her part. {I think that is what she said.} That takes some insight to see that and admit it publicly. I would say that is true for a lot of people, but they won't admit it.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM

299 posts, read 509,764 times
Thank you, Jayhawks.
I don't know if it's true for everyone, but I have realized that there are things going on here that I had no idea about before. Having young kids, in my case anyway, forces you to live in a bubble and until they become an age where they're not completely dependent on you, it's hard to really engage in anything other than child-related activities.
Mine are getting to that age now so I'm looking forward to doing more things with them. My husband started taking my son to Bobcat games and he LOVES it. So, now that we can participate more maybe I'll be less of a grouch (unless someone with bad typos tries to rip on my grammar).

Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,948 times
I don't think Charlotte is boring compared to many other places, however there is one thing I think Charlotte is lacking compared to other cities - that is it does not have much street life. In many cities, you do not have to spend money to be entertained - you can simply take a walk down the street, people watch, pop into some stores,coffee shops, etc.
Downtown Charlotte is getting better, but we don't really have any other areas like this. Of course street life requires a higher density in the city - I think most people are drawn to Charlotte because of it's low density - you can live in the suburbs and be close to the city.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM

308 posts, read 529,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Excellent post, coastal. Same here. I also don't care about doing out-doorsy stuff, the concept of having to drive hours to do some things is beyond my tolerance level and even though there are a lot of festivals, they are identical year after year. So, if you've gone to one, you've gone to them all. There's no point in going again.

Charlotte is a great hub...to go elsewhere.
So we can assume that you have attended the following?

-Springfest
- Loch Norman Highland Games/festival
- Coca Cola 600 festival
-Worldfest
-Fastgrass Bluegrass Festival
-Liquid Steel Big 50 Bike Show
-Festival in the Park
-YIASOU Greek Festival
-Time Warner Cable BBQ and Blues
-Octoberfest Beer festival
-Renaissance Festival
-Latin American Festival
-LaBeaujolais Nouveau Wine Tasting Festival
-Harvest Day Festival
-Celtic Traditions Festival
-First Night
-Charlotte Gay Pride Week and festival
-Cityfest

There are others as well that I am sure you are aware of.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,738 times
I've been here 15 years and still can't seem to find the time to do all the things available to me in Charlotte! Coming from outside of Philly, we returned in March to see a hockey game and even though the game was great, no one seemed very happy. It was so cold you could barely go outside!

Love it here!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM

97 posts, read 320,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
I have been doing a lot of research on different cities because my home state is starting to make me itch. I hate itching.

In any case...

...I've read a lot of opinions on city-data about Charlotte, and many residents consider it to be boring. The question I have is ... 'Compared to where?' I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to what are you comparing Charlotte to, or what exactly do you think it's lacking?

I come in peace.

I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of why some people feel Charlotte is lacking.
Charlotte needs more parks!

I was really surprised when I first came to Charlotte that there are no decent parks around Lake Norman and Lake Wiley.. Almost all of the waterfronts have been occupied by (upscale) residences... that is a shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or