U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

72 posts, read 153,721 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot of research on different cities because my home state is starting to make me itch. I hate itching.

In any case...

...I've read a lot of opinions on city-data about Charlotte, and many residents consider it to be boring. The question I have is ... 'Compared to where?' I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to what are you comparing Charlotte to, or what exactly do you think it's lacking?

I come in peace.

I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of why some people feel Charlotte is lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 04:47 PM

123 posts, read 189,123 times
I don't think it's boring. I love living in Charlotte. You just gotta find out what's going on each week. Depends on what you're interested in. There are free concerts if you can't go to Time Warner to see Usher, etc. Harlem Globetrotters were in town a few weeks ago. With the high cost of gas recently, alot of people are going to have to look for entertainment close to home. You could go to the beach or the mountains nearby. I think there's alot to do here. I used to live in Portland, OR, and they always had something going on, but it rained 9 months of the year and I had to find indoor things to do. If you have kids, join Discovery Place and when the kids are bored, taked them there and they will have a good time. One of my favorite memories growing up was going to the pool and to the amusement park. Check the newspaper, There are things going on all the time.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,252,341 times
Thanks for asking a question that I've had on my mind for a long time.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,151,782 times
I'm not sure people genuinely think it's boring, or that it's lacking anything, they just want something different, much like you. If you're itching to leave your home state, obviously you desire something different.

Charlotte is what it is. I don't love it here, but I don't desire it to change, I'd just rather live somewhere else. It's all in what is important to you and what your lifestyle demands. I think it's a great city for families with young kids and it's in a great location. There are plenty of things to do for almost anyone.

Anyway, comparisons to other cities are kind of silly. Why leave a place if you just desire the same thing in your new city?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 PM

299 posts, read 510,887 times
I've decided that I think Charlotte is boring because I'm ignorant of much of what goes on here and I blame that ignorance on having two young kids which prevent me from engaging in a way I would if I didn't have them (I'm glad I have them, though. They're cute).

For me, it's a case of me being accustomed to living in big cities and this being a small city. It's not a bad thing to be a small city, it just takes some management of expectations.
But, I'm happy we're here for our kids. This is a better place to raise kids than where we came from, and cheaper to boot. Plus, I love spring here.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 PM

294 posts, read 489,430 times
I do think it depends on where you are coming from. My husband works out of Charlotte and the kids and I spend our summers there, actually Mooresville. This will be our 10th summer. I know I am not getting the full picture because we are there probably there at the worst time of year. I have just not been able to make the move. I can say, in my opinion, that Charlotte has improved a lot over the past 10 years but I know many natives from NC would prefer it was left the other way. You asked where we are comparing it to. In my case it is Orange County CA. So here goes. I have a hard time with the kids not playing outside in NC. Where I live you have to dodge kids playing outside year round. It seems too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter and then they just get in the habit of being inside. I find it very hard being outside in the summer and we spend a lot of time on the lake. Also I think everything is so far apart here. It seems I'm always driving long distances. Even if my kids attended high school here it would be 10 miles away. Also I think most things, except real estate (which is a big chunk) and gas, are higher priced. I am also not crazy about living close to a nuclear plant. Your post actually asked what was boring in Charlotte. My post would be different if I were involved more in the schools and community but I only have the perspective of what I prefer from where I am coming from. Yes, we have a lot more to do in CA but I don't necessarily take advantage of them, but it is nice to know we have many options. I am a typical soccer mom toting my kids around and hopefully spending a lot of time outside. The not being able to be outside in Charlotte really bothers me. Probably my number one complaint.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,596 times
People are not bored with Charlotte, but rather, bored with the bland mind numbing dull planned subdivisions that ring the outerloop (I-485) where they only thing they see are culdesacs of cookie cutter homes and chain store retail & restaurants. They move to these places so they can have a house that is 3x the size of what they need, and then find they are nothing like the real communities they immigrated from. Most of them are ghastly depressing during business/school days as they completely empty out since the only purpose of these places is a place to sleep, surf the internet and watch TV.

This is what people are bored with in Charlotte. My recommendation is that you avoid it and move into Charlotte, away from where the herds are headed.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,052,969 times
Like I tell my children, only boring people get bored.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,930,687 times
Personally speaking with me, It's about having "OPTIONS". The city definitely needs more options. If I want to go to an all night coffee house/or go to a weekly comedy show/or go to a "Real" jazz spot(btw, the venue here doesnt even compare to other jazz venues in other cities).....you just can't do that here in Charlotte.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,983,276 times
C is boring, yes you can go to a nice restaurant, but that is about it, it really has no draw. Asheville has more to offer than C. I know the city very well, but it is mainly a day city and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or