U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:03 PM

240 posts, read 674,134 times
It can be tough to meet people early on after your move, but this is a pretty friendly city with a bunch of young people around. I'm sure it'll get easier for you once you start your job! I've met all of my friends down here through my work, and the same holds true for my wife.

SunnyKayak mentioned that some of the people on this forum are going to try to meet up in a few weeks. It will probably be a mix of people who are new to the area as well as people who have been here for a while, but who knows, you might make some new friends out of it If you'd like some more info, here's the link:

Charlotte City-Data meet up?

Hope you can make it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,876 times
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I really appreciate the advice... it's nice to know that there are others out there who feel/have felt the hardships (and excitement) of moving. I am living just south of the city in the Ballantyne area. I haven't really explored beyond that besides downtown (but I mostly stayed on S. Tryon street). Any ideas about good places around here?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM

62 posts, read 145,848 times
Krista,

I completely understand where you're coming from- I moved down here 2 1/2 weeks ago, and am living in an apt. complex w/my husband (we're in our early 30's), and the complex is a very in-between sort of place- it seems like everyone has their own "thing" already going on... I am desperately trying to find something to do either tonight or tomorrow, as I haven't had more than a very superficial "hey, how are ya?" type of conversation since I've been down here (with any one other than my husband, of course)

Any suggestions from anyone for stuff to do this weekend?

Good luck to you!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:49 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,197,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista525 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I really appreciate the advice... it's nice to know that there are others out there who feel/have felt the hardships (and excitement) of moving. I am living just south of the city in the Ballantyne area. I haven't really explored beyond that besides downtown (but I mostly stayed on S. Tryon street). Any ideas about good places around here?
I live not to far from Ballantyne right now. There are some things to do around there at the Ballantyne Village. They have 'Mix at 6" every Wednesday in May and other events. Sign up for their email and you will get notices. I love showing new people around town as I know what it's like trying to find friends and things to do and I have found a lot of things to do. You are not very far away from the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill either, a beautiful 2300 acre nature preserve.

Last edited by groove1; 08-03-2007 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 AM

240 posts, read 674,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mea2010 View Post
Krista,

I completely understand where you're coming from- I moved down here 2 1/2 weeks ago, and am living in an apt. complex w/my husband (we're in our early 30's), and the complex is a very in-between sort of place- it seems like everyone has their own "thing" already going on... I am desperately trying to find something to do either tonight or tomorrow, as I haven't had more than a very superficial "hey, how are ya?" type of conversation since I've been down here (with any one other than my husband, of course)

Any suggestions from anyone for stuff to do this weekend?

Good luck to you!
There's a free fan appreciation event going on tomorrow at Bank of America Stadium for the Panthers. You can get into the stadium for free and see the team practice... and possibly meet some players too. I think the festivities start around 9:00AM and end around 1PM. Should be a lot of people out there. It might not be a place to meet new friends, but it's something different to do for part of a morning/afternoon

I think that the Hickory Tavern and Fox and Hounds bar/restaurants in Ballantyne get pretty crowded with younger people for sporting events since they both have a lot of tv's, so those might be good places to go on a day when a sporting event is taking place.

If you're into outdoor activities, I think that this group meets up pretty often, and I've heard some good things about them:

Carolinas Outdoor Adventures - the largest and most active outdoor sport and social organization in Charlotte and greater Carolinas

And as I mentioned in a previous entry in this thread, a bunch of us from this forum are planning on meeting up in a couple of weeks. You can find the link in my previous post, so feel free to come out and join us!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,197,917 times
After the fan fest, there is the Bike race uptown. That is something to witness.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:48 PM

14 posts, read 65,962 times
hi there im kat i find myself in the same situation as well i actually moved from new york though and live here with my husband and yeah its preety hard considering that so many people are older or if your not in school its hard to make friends anyways im 22 and if you ever want to chat or hang or somethinng that will be cool. maybe we can figure out a way to make friends together.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:52 PM

277 posts, read 16,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista525 View Post
How is it possible, right? I've just moved from Michigan (due to the sliding economy) to the booming Charlotte. I am in a happy relationship of 4 years, just starting a new job, and living in a great part of town in an awesome apartment. Still, after growing up on the same street in the same house for my entire life, I find myself very lonely. My boyfriend is finishing up his job and won't move here until January. My job starts in about two weeks, but I'm looking to meet people outside the workplace that I have something in common with. I'm a 20something and enjoy going out, but I don't drink much. My apartment complex is nice, but it is a very transient place and most people here don't seem interested in finding friends... very unlike my living situation at my university and at home. What is the best way to meet people? I'm not a big church go-er, and I find it so hard to meet people online who don't want "a relationship." Many of the clubs and organizations I've looked into tend to cater to the mid-30s or 40s. Any ideas? Thanks and million.
Welcome to my world. I lived in Charlotte for 4 years, but felt more like 20. I am sure once the bf moves down, you will be happy. Charlotte is a lonely place, but the bright spot was the Starbucks on East Ave in Dilworth. They had (do not know if they still do) a lot of great local acts, playing live, and having a coffee and listening was always fun.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,779 times
Default Noda -- can be fun, but is very cliquey - especially if you are a musician

If you're just looking for a night out on the town and to see some art galleries, hear a band or two.. it's not too bad...Noda is a one-block area that builds itself up to be the greatest arts community in all of Mecklenburg... They just try to bring in people to support their cliques. If you trully want to take part in the music "scene" there, you will be tormented and isolated (especially if you are from another state). Beware of certain bad characters that can lurk in the fringes. "Noda" is just an area of a couple of blocks and alot of the areas outside of this are pretty rough still.

I've found that alot of people in Charlotte will appear friendly on the surface, but look deeper and they just want your money. Believe it or not, if you're from another state they might call you "yankee" behind your back. I kid you not! They'll smile to your face and gossip behind your back. The Noda area is iffy... lots of crime ridden areas surround it... like an oasis in the middle of a desert. It WAS trendy for a time (maybe has some life still left in it) but this caused the real estate values to become over-inflated.. If people try to sell their homes in this area, they may not be able sell at a price high enough to cover the cost of the mortgage. Expect a deflation in housing prices in that area soon enough.

The idea of taking classes is great. Maybe sign up at the local Y or other gym.. that's another way to meet people.. Not ALL people resent out-of-towners, I was just amazed though how cruel some can be.. there are some nice museums in the area too.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:51 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 11,845,284 times
Charlotte Newcomer's Club has its own website. Go to your local library to read the magazines. You will probably see other people just like yourself there. The library is also a good place to find out what is going on in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte