U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:58 AM

515 posts, read 905,999 times

Advertisements

I just relocated here from the south shore in the spring, and we are not staying. We rent in Ballantyne, south of the city and work in the city. Here is my take on the area.

Traffic and congestion is horrible. My commute is 1 hr to 1:15 hr. It was much easier to get into Boston than it is to get into Charlotte. Water quality is terrible (like drinking from the kiddy pool), air quality is terrible (always seems to be a warning). Cost of living other than housing is about the same, food seems a little higher, utilities a little lower. Housing an hour away from the city is about $120/ft^2, if you want a commute on the order of 1/2 hr it's more like $200/ft^2 and you'll get an older cottage style home.

Having said all that, it is pretty and green, and would be nice if you don't have to work in the city and could be far enough south or north to avoid the traffice. My advice would be to look at SC or other areas of NC if possible. If you decide to come, I'd suggest living just over the boarder in SC, cheaper homes and lower taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 49,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgilbride View Post
It will be one year next month since we moved from NH. We are originally from Lowell, Ma. We live in Matthews. Small town feel 17 minutes from uptown Charlotte. We have 11,15 and 16 year old. All Honor students. They went to private school in Mass and Matthews elementary in Matthews is terrific. Dedicated staff. Even gave advice on where to go to live in town. Go to cms.k12.nc.us for info on schools. This is Mecklenburg county. You may also want ot look at Waxsaw, Weddington in Union County. You must dig but you can find info you need. Colleges in this area are all excellent and the prices are so much different than Massachusetts. One hint for you, most neighborhoods are tucked away from commercial business but you don't have to drive far to find everything you want markets and Walmarts they are literally around the corner but you would never know it. Matthews is a family friendly town. Everyone belongs to the Siskey YMCA. Not like the Y's at home. It is a social gathering place and has a mini water park in the back. There are plenty of private school options. Also most neighborhoods have communtiy space with pools located right in your neighborhood. Hope this helped.

Christine
Christine, Where in NH did yo umove from? I live outside Manchester and we may be heading down your way for a job opportunity.
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or