U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Presby vs. CMC
Presby 9 33.33%
CMC 15 55.56%
All take either! 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM

417 posts, read 645,962 times

Advertisements

We had this discussion the other night with my elderly parents and sister: If you had a choice and had to go to the hospital for an emergency, which one would you go to---CMC or Presby?

My sister picked CMC solely because it is a trauma center and teaching hospital and is figuring that whatever is going on, someone there should be able to handle it AND they should have the equipment to do so.

My parents swear by Presby. They love the service there and feel well cared for.

So, which would you pick and why? Of course, the hope is to not have ot end up in either!

Taben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:00 PM

45,168 posts, read 57,238,212 times
I picked Presby because overall I think it's a great place and have been well cared for there when I've given birth and had non-life threatening emergencies.

HOWEVER, if I were having a heart attack or had been in some major accident and had traumatic injuries I'd be screaming to be taken to CMC

Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM

13,200 posts, read 13,265,479 times
I have experience with the CMC system at CMC in Charlotte & Shelby. I'll be honest. I'd much rather deal with the folks in Shelby, but for what I went to Charlotte for, I don't think that I would have gotten better care at the teaching hospitals in Philly.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:48 PM

997 posts, read 3,211,383 times
When we first moved here I looked at both, I was mainly interested in the children's hospital portions of both, since I have a daughter with special needs and lots of medical issues. We went for her first ER visit to CMC-Levine, and since then we have stuck with them. They were just finishing up the new Children's hospital at the time, and with one (glaring) exception, have been well cared for there. The exception I believe was related to the two particular doctors (same department) who were in charge of her case at the time, the ER did the right thing, ordered the right tests, only to have her admitted and have the admitting doc cancel the ER orders. That said, these two particular doctors seem to be aging out of regular practice, they brought 2 new docs to their practice and I've been told the two in question aren't around much.
I've heard wonderful things about the Presby Children's hospital as well, I know a family with a similarly complicated child who always bring him there. But for us, since starting at one, it seems silly to move over to the other (btw, the docs we had trouble with practice at both hospitals, so we likely would have had the same issue had we been to the other hospital).

Old 05-08-2011, 02:18 PM

155 posts, read 310,938 times
You don't have to worry about trauma. Unless you specifically tell medic that you want to go to Presby, AND they are willing AND have the proper services, you are automatically routed to CMC main (Level 1 trauma center). That is the county and MEDIC default for trauma. I've been at both and wouldn't have any problem going back to either. Teaching hospitals can be great, but be prepared to wait as it will take longer for the workup. :-)

Old 05-08-2011, 02:42 PM

11,772 posts, read 18,431,388 times
Cmc

Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 PM

1,102 posts, read 932,374 times
I chose CMC as I had two babies there and have used the emergency room for myself and my DD then 3 weeks. I had good experiences every time.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 AM

77 posts, read 111,429 times
I picked Presby. I had an emergency (not life-threatening, but a dislocated & broken shoulder) and waited forever at CMC-Univ. even though the waiting room was empty. I can't complain about the care I received once I was seen, but I just felt like they were never in a hurry to get things rolling...and I was in some serious pain! I have been to Presby.'s main hospital, orthopedic hosp. and Huntersville hosp. for tests or surgery and that is definitely my preference. I tell everyone I know to make sure I go to Presby. Huntersville if ever I have an emergency because the care there is excellent.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,715,842 times
I've always been partial to CMC. Last time I went to ER , I was at University. I was having pains radiating in my torso , and thought for sure I was having a cardiac arrest. I told the staff this , and was whizzed straightaway to examination , where I was informed , following a heightened panic , that it was trapped gas. The few ambule trips I've taken have ended at CMC as well. One thing I'll never do is go to hospital outside of the metro.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 AM

13,200 posts, read 13,265,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
I've always been partial to CMC. Last time I went to ER , I was at University. I was having pains radiating in my torso , and thought for sure I was having a cardiac arrest. I told the staff this , and was whizzed straightaway to examination , where I was informed , following a heightened panic , that it was trapped gas. The few ambule trips I've taken have ended at CMC as well. One thing I'll never do is go to hospital outside of the metro.
Be aware, if you should ever be out this way going to Lake Lure or something, Shelby is a level III trauma center. I'm not positive who has the level II (I'm thinking Spartanburg.).

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-09-2011 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte