U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM

10,802 posts, read 14,766,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Ahhhh, you're mistaken. There are several volunteer fire departments in the city of Charlotte proper. I can think of Mallard Creek VFD, Newell VFD, Long Creek VFD and Robinson VFD right off the top of my head. Sadly, MANY people are not aware of these fine organizations, and the hard work their men and women put in without pay or recognition. A google search should give you contact information for any of these stations, for anyone who might be interested.
Do you know if any of those might have junior firefighters, or related events?

I tried Google and will try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,214 times
Quote:
Ahhhh, you're mistaken. There are several volunteer fire departments in the city of Charlotte proper. I can think of Mallard Creek VFD, Newell VFD, Long Creek VFD and Robinson VFD right off the top of my head. Sadly, MANY people are not aware of these fine organizations, and the hard work their men and women put in without pay or recognition. A google search should give you contact information for any of these stations, for anyone who might be interested.
These all existed before these areas were annexed into the City of Charlotte city limits. Once annexed these citizens are entitled to municipal fire service from the city because they are now paying taxes for it. The city will sometimes subsidize these volunteer depts. for a short time, but they end up closing down. The city won't take liability for non-municipal fire protection. I've seen a number of them close. The first one I checked on your list has this statement on their website:
"After serving the citizens of Northeast Mecklenburg County for over 60 years, Newell Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue will no longer provide fire, rescue or EMS services starting at 0000 Hours on July 1, 2011. The fire department will continue to operate as usual until that time."

Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
These all existed before these areas were annexed into the City of Charlotte city limits. Once annexed these citizens are entitled to municipal fire service from the city because they are now paying taxes for it. The city will sometimes subsidize these volunteer depts. for a short time, but they end up closing down. The city won't take liability for non-municipal fire protection. I've seen a number of them close. The first one I checked on your list has this statement on their website:
"After serving the citizens of Northeast Mecklenburg County for over 60 years, Newell Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue will no longer provide fire, rescue or EMS services starting at 0000 Hours on July 1, 2011. The fire department will continue to operate as usual until that time."
You said there were no VFDs in Charlotte. I showed you there was. The proper thing to do would have been to say "you know, you're right", not try to continue to discredit me. Yes, Newell VFD is closing- I knew that when I posted it. That wasnt the point.

Oh, and I've lived here for 5 yrs, and Mallard Creek VFD has been here the whole time, and continues to remain in operation. They're actually located less than a mile from CFD station 36.

OP, I would attempt to contact Mallard Creek VFD- I believe their chief's name is Rusty Wallace (no relation to the NASCAR driver of the same name). If they dont have a program, I 'm sure they could recommend one. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 AM

10,802 posts, read 14,766,208 times
Quote:
You said there were no VFDs in Charlotte. I showed you there was. The proper thing to do would have been to say "you know, you're right", not try to continue to discredit me. Yes, Newell VFD is closing- I knew that when I posted it. That wasnt the point.

Oh, and I've lived here for 5 yrs, and Mallard Creek VFD has been here the whole time, and continues to remain in operation. They're actually located less than a mile from CFD station 36.

OP, I would attempt to contact Mallard Creek VFD- I believe their chief's name is Rusty Wallace (no relation to the NASCAR driver of the same name). If they dont have a program, I 'm sure they could recommend one. Good luck!
I called the Mallard Creek VFD, and they are being closed in a couple months. They have a junior program but with only 16 adult members, they only accept kids who reside in their fire district.

The recommended the Concord Explorers which are related to the Boy Scouts but they have a fire service group, within that.

Also, he mentioned Mint Hill as a place to call.

This student has been involved in this type thing since age 10 in Austria.
So, to attend some Jr. firefighter event would be nice.

Do not let the age 10 fool you. They can drink at age 16 and the night clubs close at 4am. This student will have to adjust to the fact that U.S. students, do not party half the night (I think).
This student does not drink and is a top student.
But when I researched the drinking age per country, I was shocked to see the United States is tied for LAST at age 21. All other countries are under 21 and as low as 16. I AGREE with the age 21 limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte