U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-07-2011, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,878 times
Default Lake Norman commute

Hello all.
I will be moving to the charlotte area soon. I will be working at the airport and really would like to be near the water. Lake Wylie seems pretty small and quiet. I was considering Lake Norman, it seems to have more of what I am looking for. ( more active atmosphere with activities shopping and local bars within walking distance ) Please confirm or deny my assumptions for me. Also wondering about commute times. I work shift work so rush hour may or may not apply. Any input or advice on neighborhoods and areas is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-07-2011, 02:51 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,789,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillerfan View Post
Hello all.
I will be moving to the charlotte area soon. I will be working at the airport and really would like to be near the water. Lake Wylie seems pretty small and quiet. I was considering Lake Norman, it seems to have more of what I am looking for. ( more active atmosphere with activities shopping and local bars within walking distance ) Please confirm or deny my assumptions for me. Also wondering about commute times. I work shift work so rush hour may or may not apply. Any input or advice on neighborhoods and areas is appreciated
Are you looking at renting or buying? With or without kids?

Unread 05-08-2011, 12:42 PM

308 posts, read 280,895 times
It is a pretty easy drive from Lake Norman to the airport using I-485. I takes about 20-25 minutes.

Unread 05-08-2011, 01:35 PM

8,230 posts, read 9,138,301 times
I don't spend too much time in the L Norman area but its very very nice IMO....lots of upscale areas, you're close to the water which is a huge bonus. The only downfall is that if you did work in Charlotte the commute could be a nightmare (but that might not be an issue for you...)

good luck!

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:04 AM

320 posts, read 210,478 times
Lake Norman commute times depend on what part of the lake. I live by the bottom of the lake and the commute to the Airport is under 30 minutes. That is Exit 23, as you go further north you probably are looking at over an hour once you get over the Meck line. I know if you are looking at the Dallas side of Lake Norman that is an easy commute. Do you know where you are looking?

Unread 05-09-2011, 03:03 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,923,142 times
I can do the airport from off Brawley School road, Mooresville in 25-30 mins , but not at commute time, which would be around 50 mins maybe.
I haven't used the 485 for the trip, just I77 then I85.

Traffic on the 77 is worst around Huntersville (J19 -25ish)

Brawley School Rd is being widened to 4 lanes from the I77, where they're building a new intersection, west to just past the Lake Norman volunteer fire station.

So Mooresville will have 4 exits off the I77 ie J32 (Langtree) J33 (Williamson Rd) J35 (Brawley School) and J36 (HWY 150).

Zip code 28117 (lake side of Mooresville) has a huge variety of homes/price points, from very "regular" SDs like Morrison Plantation, cheaper water access communities like Winslow Bay,Wyndham shores and Harbor Cove, more expensive water access communities like some off Isle of Pines and down in the Point, and then waterfront homes.

Personally I like Mallard Head area (biaised as I live there!) as it's not too far down Brawley and really close to everything. Also nice having Golf course and the Lake around you.

Would also recommend you take a look at "The Farms" off McKendree Rd.

Also like some of the SDs off Langtree towards the lake and Templeton, which is off Alcove Rd.

Would help if we knew more of your requirements.

Unread 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM

200 posts, read 219,899 times
Just out of curiosity why is it when someone says Lake Norman, people automatically suggest Huntersville or Mooresville? Or it's always the east side of the lake. How about the west side? What's up with Lowesville? Wouldn't that be better for someone working at the airport?

Unread 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM

42,262 posts, read 49,104,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Just out of curiosity why is it when someone says Lake Norman, people automatically suggest Huntersville or Mooresville? Or it's always the east side of the lake. How about the west side? What's up with Lowesville? Wouldn't that be better for someone working at the airport?

Well, for one thing, the Lowesville area is not on Lake Norman.

It's really kind of between Lake Norman and Mountain Island Lake, but not really close enough to either for those who want waterfront or lake living.

What I've seen recommended frequently is the "quiet side" of Lake Norman on the west, Denver. And it is nice up that way for sure.

The hwy 16 corridor is one of the best commutes from outlying areas around the west side of the lake back into uptown. Though some people may feel they are living too far out of the city and its ammenities, which many appreciate about being in Huntersville - it's close to so much to do.

Comments on this thread detail what I'm talking about: Thoughts on living in Denver

For someone working at the airport the Mountain Island Lake area would be a great commute, certainly better than from Lake Norman. You just jump on I485 to I85 (going against traffic!) to hit the airport

Unread 05-12-2011, 08:39 PM

1,997 posts, read 1,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post

I mostly comment about the Mooresville area because that's where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte