U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,356 times

Advertisements

I figured this would be the best place to post this to get some local feedback. My question is, what are some tips and advice concerning having a roommate in Charlotte? The situation is that I am the homeowner (soon to be divorced) would like to know some of the basics as far as--

How much to charge?
Contract or not?
How to/ If I should do credit checks?
How to get people out if needed?
Any sort of insurance (above and beyond the normal ins. I already have)?

I have already looked through Craigslist and seen some prices. The one thing I think would be easier is to have an all-inclusive price to avoid any hassles about who used more water, electric, etc..

Also, the house is about 1200 square ft. total and they would be renting 1 bedroom and have their own bath room and shared living room, kitchen, washer/dryer.

Thanks for any advice and I look foward to reading the comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:45 AM

385 posts, read 744,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodbag View Post
I
How much to charge?
Contract or not?
How to/ If I should do credit checks?
How to get people out if needed?
Any sort of insurance (above and beyond the normal ins. I already have)?
1. driven by the market you are in. CL is a good place to start
2. Of course, because of #4. Verbal leases are valid in NC so you might as well get it in writing.
3. Yes. And background check esp. since they will be LIVING with you!!!
4. They have to be evicted just like any other tenant.
5. great question for yr insurance provider. Most likely an umbrella policy will take care of this though.

Roommates can be a great way to offset expenses, and they can also be teh worst nightmare you could ever imagine, even if you think you :know" the person so do yr homework!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or