U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 PM

91 posts, read 162,756 times
Default Spending Labor Day weekend at Lake Norman!

Hi All,

After searching and searching, found a pretty good deal on air from Phoenix, hotel and car rental and we are Lake Norman bound this weekend!! Whole family is making the trip. Going to check out the real estate, etc. Hope we don't get rained out too bad from Earnesto.

Going to take lots of pictures--We'll check in when we return. If anyone is building a home and want us to check it, just let us know, we'd be happy to drive by for you!

OH, and for those who have asked for progress reports on our house sale here in Arizona...no luck yet, but we are getting some lookers.

Adam and Terri
Phoenix area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 AM

117 posts, read 269,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAndTerri View Post
Hi All,

After searching and searching, found a pretty good deal on air from Phoenix, hotel and car rental and we are Lake Norman bound this weekend!! Whole family is making the trip. Going to check out the real estate, etc. Hope we don't get rained out too bad from Earnesto.

Going to take lots of pictures--We'll check in when we return. If anyone is building a home and want us to check it, just let us know, we'd be happy to drive by for you!

OH, and for those who have asked for progress reports on our house sale here in Arizona...no luck yet, but we are getting some lookers.

Adam and Terri
Phoenix area

Good luck I hope you have a great time! I also hope the weather is good for you.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 AM

889 posts, read 2,032,481 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Adam and Terri
Phoenix area
Good luck and let us know how it all goes for the weekend.I have company comming in for the weekend so it better clear up

Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM

43,322 posts, read 51,875,219 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Adam and Terri
Phoenix area
The noon news said tomorrow (Friday) will be rainy all day, but by Saturday the weather should be all clear here in Charlotte, and pretty for the rest of the weekend. Enjoy your visit!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 27,203 times
Yep great boating weather!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM

71 posts, read 136,531 times
Hi,
My family and I are going to check out the area the first week of October. It would be great if you could advise what your experience was like - developments/schools etc from your visit. Thanks ! Gayle

Old 09-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgayle View Post
Hi,
My family and I are going to check out the area the first week of October. It would be great if you could advise what your experience was like - developments/schools etc from your visit. Thanks ! Gayle
Hi Gayle---I'd like to give a full opinion on the entire area, but to be honest, we are concentrating on specific spots. We are looking on the west side of the lake and then the north area which is more Troutman. We are kind of odd I suppose because we are not looking for a home in a traditional neighborhood or sub-division. We are looking for a house with some land, so we pretty much need to look in a more rural area or developments that offer 1+ acre lots.

We have done extensive research on schools...some are better than others, but all we have looked at are a big improvement over what we currently have in our state.

The area is beautiful! Regardless if you go in the Lake area, Concord area, further North, it all looks wonder to us. It really depends on what you are looking for and what is most important to you and your family.

I can not stress enough to let your fingers do the walking and research everything....spend time and some money on ink and paper to print what you need to make the most of your time while you are there. Time will go by very fast. You can find most anything you want online. For instance, when we see a property that we are interested in we can go to the county GIS maps and actaully get the lot dimensions, etc. It's all there, it's public information and it costs nothing but your time. You can also get NC school report cards and do a comparison. Again, just do a search. I have all of this informtion downloaded and saved in a folder for easy reference. That way it will make the choices easier when it comes time to make final decisions on where to buy. When you are ready, get hooked up with a good realtor. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I will say, it didn't matter where we were, what we were doing, everyone is so friendly....everyone waved when you drove by looking at homes or the area, etc. We felt right at home already. My kids are almost 13 and 11 and they didn't want to come back. That was a real defining moment.

Our first visit as a family was over Labor Day weekend. Since that time our house has sold, so we are going back the second week of Oct to actually find a house. The first time was an "orientation" of sorts. This time we have more of a game plan and are on a mission for home.

I hope this was helpful. If you need further information just let me know.

Thanks--and good luck to you!
Terri

Old 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 31,770 times
Great to hear that everyone was nice while you were there. have heard mixed reviews. My husband and are lookng into moving to NC from Washington State. From what we can tell Lake Norman is at the top of our list. We love to be by the water and My husband loves to fsh for Bass. We have 3 daughters 9, 12 and 14. Do you have boys or girls? am incouraged to hear they are happy about the move. Mine do not want to at all. What else can you all tell me about The Lake Norman area?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 27,203 times
Well rumor has it that some divers have seen bass as large as grown men!!

Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovy123 View Post
Great to hear that everyone was nice while you were there. have heard mixed reviews. My husband and are lookng into moving to NC from Washington State. From what we can tell Lake Norman is at the top of our list. We love to be by the water and My husband loves to fsh for Bass. We have 3 daughters 9, 12 and 14. Do you have boys or girls? am incouraged to hear they are happy about the move. Mine do not want to at all. What else can you all tell me about The Lake Norman area?
We have a son that will be 11 this week and our daughter will be 13 next month. Have your kids been there? Mine were not all that excited about it until they went to visit then they didn't want to return with the exception of them missing our dogs. They really like it. They are excited since we told them that we'd most likely buy a little family boat for the lake. Since we don't have that many bodies of water in the desert, they thought that was extra cool. With you being in Washington State, it may look somewhat similar, but with us, it's a world of difference.

We would like nothing more than a lakefront place, but it's a little too rich for our blood, however, we plan to be close (i.e. accross the street or a lake access neighborhood) The area is beautiful and has some of the best schools around. I was very impressed with that and it's a major factor for our decision. From what I have found, kids at first resist change, but they really do better then adults and they are very resilient, however, each family and person is different.

Take care and write if you'd like to know more.
Terri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte