Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times

Advertisements

where we came from the local library had a huge used book sale 4 times a year with a great selection. The prices were amazing and they also had a ton of children/teen books. Teachers would shop there too. People even waited in line before it opened on day one.

I also used it to donate books back for the sale, so the library made out (but most of us did that).

So is there anything like that around Charlotte - libraries or other places?

I called our local library they told me they don't do used book sales. This was a Union County library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
s'far as I know the libraries 'round here keep used books. you know... to lend out. people who want new books go to the book store, people who want to borrow a used book go to the library. don't know that selling all the used books would go over real well in Mecklenburg, considering the budget troubles and all.

plenty of used book stores around though. do a google search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
where we came from the local library had a huge used book sale 4 times a year with a great selection. The prices were amazing and they also had a ton of children/teen books. Teachers would shop there too. People even waited in line before it opened on day one.

I also used it to donate books back for the sale, so the library made out (but most of us did that).

So is there anything like that around Charlotte - libraries or other places?

I called our local library they told me they don't do used book sales. This was a Union County library.
The Kings Mountain Library does used book sales, but that's probably further than you want to go. If Kings Mountain does it, somebody closer to you must do it. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 AM

300 posts, read 763,533 times
Smile borders book store

I have been buying new books at borders. I sign up for a reward member they send me coupons for 30 -50 % percent off. I was just at the boders at stonecrest this weekend they had some some hardcover books for sale for only $ 1.00. I bought 2 cooks books for only dollar a piece retailing regular price 40 dollars.

At the northlake location, they had a sale for buy one /get one free plus it was already marked down too. bought another 2 hardcover book for only $6 dollars. One book I got I saw price at $ 22 at Target. I only paid $3 dollars.
You will have to look thru the bargin section.

yes make sure u sign up online for a rewards members . you need your reward card to get additional discounts. or esle I went to garage sales to get used books.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
At a lot of Charlotte branches, they keep a section all the time for used book sales. It's been a while since we've been, but the main library downtown has (or had) several shelves right when you walk in. I think each branch also has a large used book sale once or twice a year, but it's up to each branch to schedule that.

Friends of the Library (http://cmlibraryfriends.org/book_sales - broken link) has a large used book sale a couple of times a year. You just missed the spring event, but they'll do it again in October.

If you're in Union County, you can try the Matthews or Mint Hill branches, or call each branch to find out how they handle it.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
s'far as I know the libraries 'round here keep used books. you know... to lend out. people who want new books go to the book store, people who want to borrow a used book go to the library. don't know that selling all the used books would go over real well in Mecklenburg, considering the budget troubles and all.

plenty of used book stores around though. do a google search
We use the library a lot as a family. I liked supporting it further by buying what other people donated to get money for funding...not very many books were books from the library (only ones that were being discarded because of broken bindings or age or whatever)they were books people had at home they were willing to donate to facilitate the sale and help somewhat fund the library.

It actually was a pretty good fundraiser according to the people that volunteered to run it.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The libraries regularly get rid of books that haven't been loaned out in a very long time, or that are in bad condition. They also get lots of donations, and can't use every book they receive to lend. They do sell those books.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
At a lot of Charlotte branches, they keep a section all the time for used book sales. It's been a while since we've been, but the main library downtown has (or had) several shelves right when you walk in. I think each branch also has a large used book sale once or twice a year, but it's up to each branch to schedule that.

Friends of the Library (http://cmlibraryfriends.org/book_sales - broken link) has a large used book sale a couple of times a year. You just missed the spring event, but they'll do it again in October.

If you're in Union County, you can try the Matthews or Mint Hill branches, or call each branch to find out how they handle it.
Thanks this looks similar to what we had but 4 times a year!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Meck libraries do used book sales and accept donations as well, at least ours does. It will probably depend on the size of the library just how many books are available. My daughter does PR work and gets promo copies on a regular basis, so we've donated quite a few to our local library in Mint Hill They were very happy to receive them.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
In the past, we have purchased good used books at the Salvation Army store on Central Avenue down close to Central Piedmont Community College. The book section is a small room off to the side of the main floor of their retail shop. The Goodwill store on Sardis Road North, off Independence Blvd at Crown Point has a selection of used books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte