Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experiences with the surgeons at Pediatric Surgical Associates in Charlotte? It is a frightening reality that if your child needs general surgery in Charlotte, you have ONE practice consisting of (5) surgeons working between CMC and Presbyterian Hospitals. It turned into a nightmare for our family. It is a terrifying reality that the surgeons performed questionable surgeries (yes plural) on our child. Wondered if anyone else had similar experiences. Any infomation would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofoneson View Post
Has anyone had any experiences with the surgeons at Pediatric Surgical Associates in Charlotte? It is a frightening reality that if your child needs general surgery in Charlotte, you have ONE practice consisting of (5) surgeons working between CMC and Presbyterian Hospitals. It turned into a nightmare for our family. It is a terrifying reality that the surgeons performed questionable surgeries (yes plural) on our child. Wondered if anyone else had similar experiences. Any infomation would be appreciated.
I have never heard a disparaging word against these physicians. If you truly believe anything inappropriate was done go ahead and contact a lawyer.

However, also consider having another set of pediatric surgeons review your childs records. It could be that they would be able to tell you that those surgeries were in fact necessary, thereby putting your mind at ease.

I am sorry your child has had some health problems and hope you are all doing better now.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have never heard a disparaging word against these physicians. If you truly believe anything inappropriate was done go ahead and contact a lawyer.

However, also consider having another set of pediatric surgeons review your childs records. It could be that they would be able to tell you that those surgeries were in fact necessary, thereby putting your mind at ease.

I am sorry your child has had some health problems and hope you are all doing better now.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, no lawyer will bring my child's health back to where he was prior to his 3 (almost 4) surgeries. This is not a monitairy issue for our family as much as it is the need for parents to understand that in the Charlotte area, if faced with emergency general surgery, you have a total of 5 surgeons to entrust with your childs life. The fact that these 5 surgeons all represent the SAME practice is mind-boggling. If you want a second opinion outside of this ONE practice you must travel outside of Charlotte. (Duke, Winston etc.) So many people who heard of our child's situation automatically suggested we change hospitals, not realizing that we would be dealing with the same surgeons at both. Our child's story has spread and we have since heard many others very similar to ours. It is by God's grace that we are together as a family and returning to a somewhat normal life. Our child will always be at risk of complications as a result of the surgeries. The third surgery was a result of the second surgery. The second surgery was a result of the first surgery. After the first surgery, the surgeon stated upon closing the 7 inch incision, "I have no real explanation as to what we thought we saw on the CT scan and what we did not find during surgery." After the third surgery and our refusal of a fourth surgery, one surgeon stated, "If you have lost faith in our practice, perhaps you should take you child somewhere else." To which I responded that unfortunately they were all we had to choose from. He then responded that my child seemed well enough to travel. I now understand the term "insult to injury."

Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
After having issues with the same practice (and lifelong complications that we'll never know if they were due to errors made or would have happened anyhow....) I have brought my daughter to surgeons in Winston Salem and also found that there are two pediatric surgeons in Concord at CMC Northeast. One did a simple port a cath placement on my daughter, and I had no problems with him, he was helpful and personable.
If you'd like any info on my daughter's situation PM me so it won't need to go on the boards. I'd be curious if the surgeons you dealt directly with are the same two who we had issues with.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 AM

25 posts, read 68,458 times
I am sorry to hear that several folks here have had children with serious medical issues and complications from their surgeries. While I do not know the details behind your stories, I will say that medicine is not an exact science and often complications just happen without anything being anyone's direct "fault" or negligence.

That said, our son has had 3 surgical procedures with this group and I can't say enough good things about them in general (especially Dr. Cosper). Our son has had a few lingering issues, but is doing fantastic overall given his situation. He is alive today much to the effort of these surgeons and the other outstanding folks at CMC (especially the amazing NICU team there).

I would encourage you to look elsewhere if you have not had a good experience with them (or any other doctor for that matter) and I would assume that Baptist in Winston or Columbia SC would have pediatric surgeons. I don't know much about the group in Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte