U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM

5 posts, read 21,974 times

Advertisements

I'm considering of moving my family to Mooresville,NC. I have two kids (4 and 2) so we must be in a good school district. Can someone which is the best area that we should focus on? Because my job will be in Mooresville but if Charolette is a better choice, then I don't mind the driving distance just as long it's not a stressful drive. We love a diverse environment if that's possible. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated it.

Also, how's the weather duriing winter season? Is the weather similiar to Atlanta, GA? How far is it to the ocean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,691,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstorm View Post
I'm considering of moving my family to Mooresville,NC. I have two kids (4 and 2) so we must be in a good school district. Can someone which is the best area that we should focus on? Because my job will be in Mooresville but if Charolette is a better choice, then I don't mind the driving distance just as long it's not a stressful drive. We love a diverse environment if that's possible. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated it.

Also, how's the weather duriing winter season? Is the weather similiar to Atlanta, GA? How far is it to the ocean?
If your job is in Mooresville then you should focus your sights on Mooresville. Better taxes & better schools & lots of shopping for pretty much anything you'll need or want. Where will your job be in Mooresville? If it's at Lowes HQ, then look on the east side of town. It's a bit more laid back with some lovely subdivisions & it's in the Mooresville Graded School District. The west side of Mooresville is the lake side, houses tend to be a bit pricey there. There's also the Brawley School Rd construction to deal with, which is a nightmare at the moment. Forget Charlotte. The commute is very stressful & can take an hour or more depending on distance.

This past winter was unusually cold with alot more snow. The winters are normally pretty mild, maybe one or 2 snowfalls. We can get ice more than snow. It's not unusual for it to be 20 degrees out in the early morning & warm up to be in the 60's by the afternoon. Summers are just HOT. We can get severe thunderstorms & lightening.

The ocean is about 4 hrs away, give or take.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks BxRosie. Do you know what's the nicest subdivison with swimming pool and even better if there's a tennis court. Considering NC is pretty warm most of the season, I would expect there are great parks and plenty of tennis courts available.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 PM

Also, yes, we would want to be in the east side if Mooresville Graded School District is the best.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,884,915 times
price range?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Does anyone have any statistics on Mooresville school district compared to the rest of NC. I've looked at school diggers and of all the school district, Mooresville is not even listed in the top 179.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM

jaynarie, somewhere between $175k - $325k

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,859,383 times
The 1:1 laptop initiative is reason enough to choose Mooresville IMO. You may be able to find some test score info on the NC DPI web site. Try the link below and if you don't find what you are looking for, remember google is your friend.

NC School Report Cards

Old 05-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
The 1:1 laptop initiative is reason enough to choose Mooresville IMO. You may be able to find some test score info on the NC DPI web site. Try the link below and if you don't find what you are looking for, remember google is your friend.

NC School Report Cards
My son graduated from MHS last year. At the last Parent Advisory Board meeting I attended (5/10), MGSD was ranked 8th out of 115 school districts in the state at that time. It was expected to be ranked in the top 3 after the state testing results came in. Don't know for sure, never got the updated info.

The laptop initiative has proved to be an excellent learning tool. The MGSD is Apple's National Model for it. We have educators from all over the country and a few foreign countries that have come here to see first hand & to learn how it works.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstorm View Post
Thanks BxRosie. Do you know what's the nicest subdivison with swimming pool and even better if there's a tennis court. Considering NC is pretty warm most of the season, I would expect there are great parks and plenty of tennis courts available.
Cherry Grove has a tennis court & pool. Harris Village & Linwood Farms have a pool. Ashlyn Creek is still building & will have a pool. All of those subdivisions fall into your price range at the $250k and up mark. Curtis Pond has a pool, Harris Crossing does not have any ameneties. They fall into the lower end of your price range. There's a bunch more older, established subdivisions within the MGSD...lots to look at. I live in one of the subdivisions I mentioned & know people who live in the other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or