U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
As far as both being novelty weddings, no, it's not different, but I wouldn't call that a redneck wedding. Do you?
Well, that video is of 2 employees of the City of Philadelphia being married by their boss, the mayor, in public in their work clothes (He is Ben Franlin in the Olde City tourist area & she is Betsy Ross.

The lady who was called a redneck didn't get married in her nurses scrubs.

I think that article was silly & that the writer got into name calling to turn a private event into a paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:25 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, that video is of 2 employees of the City of Philadelphia being married by their boss, the mayor, in public in their work clothes (He is Ben Franlin in the Olde City tourist area & she is Betsy Ross.

The lady who was called a redneck didn't get married in her nurses scrubs
I don't think I'm understanding the point you're trying to make with the video. What does the wearing of work clothes have to do with it?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:27 PM

21,858 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't think I'm understanding the point you're trying to make with the video. What does the wearing of work clothes have to do with it?
Well, some people consider the definition of redneck to be tacky. That's not correct, but many people think it is. That is what the writer thought it was & he deemed that couple to be tacky. (Read the description of her clothing carefully.)

That was a private event that a writer spun & used name calling for effect to get a paycheck.

I don't think that either is "redneck" but according to the sometimes-used definition, both could be considered that.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,787 times
I read about the wedding in today's paper. I thought it was sweet. I thought the groom was dressed a little casual, in cargo shorts and running shoes (with socks) and a polo shirt, but the article mentioned there were lots of guys without shirts so I guess everything is relative. I also got a big kick out of the music, Waylon Jennings - Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys. Perfect! Friends ran over to Walmart and bought a veil for the bride. They called it the Royal Race Wedding. Much better than "Redneck" wedding. Honestly, if you were looking for a Redneck Wedding you could do much much better than this one.

And I will tell you, the British of all people should shut the freak up about "weddings". Hard to believe, but that was NOT a TV movie you saw a few weeks ago. That was an actual wedding, 2 young people were married. Who actually does stupid stuff like that these days? Oh, the British do.....

Old 05-28-2011, 05:44 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Hillbilly weddings are more interesting. At a hillbilly wedding the father of the bride & or groom can be present with a shotgun. At the one I attended I double as father of the bride & groom and carried a shotgun for the entire service as did the priest.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:21 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,214 times
The shotgun wedding was once motivation to a reluctant groom to go through with the wedding ceremony. The gun made sure that if a boy impregnated a girl he was gonna get married and support his new family. It was often the bride's father who had the gun but sometimes the groom's dad would also participate. At one time, bastard babies were socially unacceptable.

As an aside, it wasn't It wasn't limited to the hillbillies as it was a legal way to settle this issue until the beginning of the 20th century. Now we have such things as "my baby mama".

Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, some people consider the definition of redneck to be tacky. That's not correct, but many people think it is. That is what the writer thought it was & he deemed that couple to be tacky. (Read the description of her clothing carefully.)

That was a private event that a writer spun & used name calling for effect to get a paycheck.

I don't think that either is "redneck" but according to the sometimes-used definition, both could be considered that.
Oh, I understand now. I don't think either wedding was tacky.

Barking - I didn't know that about hillbilly weddings! My parents are (self-proclaimed and proud, so don't yell at me about calling names!) hillbillies, but they just got married at a picnic shelter at a campground they liked. It was a potluck reception with sheetcake and their honeymoon was a fishing trip to Canada. They returned to live in tent on their 22 acres in southern Ohio. They are characters, that's for sure!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
"Different" weddings take place in NYC too...
Ky. bride in toilet paper dress to tie knot in Times Square

Most Redneck Wedding in the World Held in Charlotte (foriegn press)

As for the bride, she is NOT by any means what one might consider to be a "R word". Knowing her (and my wife does) she is probably at home crying right now because of that article. She just wanted a simple wedding; nothing fancy. It's sad, but people tend to forget that a truck driver and a nurse can EASILY earn over $100,000 per year as a couple. Isn't the Mecklenburg county median wage for a household less than $70,000 per year? Anyways, neither of them live in Charlotte (in the case of the groom; he doesn't even live in NC). After an article like that, I wouldn't blame them one bit if they decided to take their money to another state.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 05-29-2011 at 04:35 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^well, urban, I am all about the underdog and feeling bad for people who are unduly harmed, but, in this case, you gotta admit, some of it was their own fault. C'mon, if you have a wedding like that during race week when there is press from around the world around, sniffing for a story whilst waiting for the actual race to start...you gotta think that there is going to be something about it.

I think that the plan IS to move out of state, to somewhere in the middle of both of their homes.

And, although the "redneck" definition is sometimes blurred with the "hillbilly" definition and even that is somewhat vague. However, it is fairly common that those that attend the race are (usually) dubbed "redneck". I hope that your friends realize that and laugh at their 15 minutes of fame...across the pond!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,065,286 times
Make sure you are listening to the theme song from Raising Arizona while reading that article. Jeff Foxworthy would be mighty proud of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or