U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 PM
 
359 posts, read 503,366 times
Reputation: 280

Advertisements

Nobody cares what he looks like. Why is that even brought up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
.... Show some compassion or say nothing at all. He may not look like any of your family members, but he could EASILY be my brother or cousin. Again, show some respect.
Sorry sir, my brother and cousins don't go around town threatening people with guns, involve themselves in violent abhorrent behavior, beating up and raping women, etc etc. They also married their kid's mothers and don't expect society to raise them. Your advice is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen posted on this forum.

This party does not deserve my respect nor compassion and he isn't getting it. If you want to go throw flowers on his grave, be my guest, and I hope you are not robbed at gun point while you are there. BTW, there are Black people in my family by marriage, and they agree with me 100% so looks, i.e. your implication that I am racist, has nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM
 
359 posts, read 503,366 times
Reputation: 280
YOU tried to take it there

If it was a blonde white girl who had the history of this kid I would feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,985,394 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Hmm. haha, no Here is some video from the CIAA.

Watch the background activity. Spin away.


I don't get your point. You show a video of one guy getting arrested and some other clowns arguing on the street and that's supposed to be the equvilent of what happened in Uptown this past weeekend??? The only similarity is that both events were attended by large groups of black people.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-31-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:09 PM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Reputation: 549
Charlotte is mentioned in international headlines in regards to this incident.

Hundreds arrested and several killed after violence erupts across America on Memorial Day weekend | Mail Online

From that article

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
This is some more information on the victim that was killed. Namely his last arrest record. He was out on bond after charged with sexual battery, beating up a female, and other assorted actions with that crime. He has other priors too such resisting arrest, and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Not exactly the little angel his family made him out to be.

ANTWAN TERRELL SMITH

For good measure, here is the record of the party who was shot and survived. He has had some dealings with the police as well. This is a younger picture of him when he committed armed robbery while still a teenager.

DURANTE KAVON JAMES
Between them, 12 arrests in a few years, before they turn 24. No reason to think they would have been/will be anything but lifelong criminals and drains on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
 
1,474 posts, read 3,367,574 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjc View Post
...do their actions have to define who I am as a black person? Do their actions have to define my race as a whole?
Absolutely not. And any reasonable person would feel the same way. It's too bad that you have gathered that idea from posts in here. Let me break it down. Most of us in here, I would think, are pointing out that the black community has issues with crime. Let me be clear that I, and any other reasonable people, know that ALL ethnic groups have their share of criminal elements. There is no doubt about that. What I think is being communicated here is a fact: when you hear of large groups of youngsters getting into fights, causing problems for police, and shooting, sadly 99.999% of the time, they are black. When you hear on the news that a store clerk was shot to death during a robbery for $12, the perpetrator is black 99% of the time. When we hear of a home invasion where someone was assaulted and even killed, it is usually in a predominately black neighborhood. Pointing this out is not saying that all blacks commit these crimes! It is pointing out the fact that 95% of the time these violent crimes are committed, the criminal is black. Does this make me racist to say that? I'm not trying to hate on black people by pointing this out. My reason is to help people understand why many people seem jumpy around large groups of black people, especially the "hip hop" element of the black community. That's a different group alltogether. I work beside many black people that are some of the most respectable people I know. Hard working, honorable people who are no different than me.

Not all pit bulls are violent towards people. But in the news, whenever you hear of a child or elderly person being attacked and killed by a dog, is it a poodle? No, it's a pit bull, 99% of the time. Does that make ALL pit bulls terrible dogs that should be banned? No, but it is human nature to be more aware and cautious around pit bulls, especially the mean looking ones that growl. Does that make any sense? Maybe it seems shallow, but it is what it is.

As a white person, who do I see as the major voices in the black community? The NAACP, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Louis Farrakhan come to mind. When do we hear from these guys? When a Christmas card that has audio when you open it sounds to them like it is saying something racist. When a low-life criminal is roughed up by police and they demand someone's head for it because the criminal is black. When they demand special treatment for black people that can't score high enough on exams to become police and firemen. When they try to get laws passed to make it harder for our judicial system to prosecute and punish violent offenders, because of their skin color. Why can't the press give a full description of a rape suspect that is on the loose when he is black? Because of the "hard work" that these black leaders have done to make sure nobody says anything negative about black people, or there will be hell to pay. There is a constant reminder to us as white people as to what our ancestors did many decades ago that was cruel and unfair to their ancestors (which it was disgusting). It is our fault that so many children in the black community can not perform in inner-city schools. It is our fault that black people do not make as much as their white counterparts in the workforce. They have taken ALL sense of merit and responsibility out of the equation and told us to deal with it. It is easier for you, my friend, to go to college on government aid than it is for me, simply because of your skin color. Is that racist?

What would many of us like to see happen by pointing out the FACTS of the racial makeup here? I would like to see more black leaders coming out against this violence. I would like to see more role models in the black community that don't talk about what gang they are in or how many tricks they have in their Bentley or what drugs they are going to do tonight. I KNOW this isn't the majority of the black community, but if white leaders try to address these issues, they are automatically deemed a racist!

I love and respect ANY of my neighbors who are hard-working, honest, honorable people, regardless of what color their skin is. I am just a realist. I hope to hear more from the leaders in the black community addressing the issues of crime and responsibility.

I know this has veered WAY off course in this thread and this is a subject for a different forum, but I had to respond. I say these things to show a different perspective, at the risk of being labeled a racist and bigot. I realize there are many programs dedicated to educating the black inner-city youth about risky behaviors and crime, and hopefully MORE PARENTS IN THAT COMMUNITY will get involved and stop thinking that all the white folks are out to make their lives miserable. There are many of us that would like to see them become prosperous and sucessful in life! HOW ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE THE DECISIONS TO GET THERE?

Last edited by PeytonC; 05-31-2011 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,035,328 times
Reputation: 2270
Excellent show on J.Hancock tonight on WBT regarding this event.
Call screener/commenter now is a self described 'liberal' 44yo African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
 
Location: NC
72 posts, read 67,311 times
Reputation: 93
Big Aristotle - Unfortunately, I think you're wasting your energy here. It seems like whenever anyone tries to present a dissenting view to the "the blacks are wild and need to be caged" view that's ever so prevalent on the Charlotte board, the person is accused of trying to make people conform to some supposed PC rules and regulations. When the truth is, a topic like this should be able to be discussed civilly, without people being referred to as filth that should be put in cages.

I said it in a previous thread and I will say it again here, what you see on the evening news is not all there is to the black community. But if the bulk of one's exposure to black people is limited to what is shown in the media (or perhaps a black person that sits in the office next to you at work), then your understanding and experience with said community will obviously be very limited.

Do I agree with the kind of violence and nonsense that took place this weekend? Absolutely not. Do I think that all involved in criminal activity should have to face legal consequences for their actions. Yes, I do. But what really disgusts me is that whenever something like this happens, people seem to be incapable of limiting their "outrage" to the event at hand. For example, a previous poster talked about being fearful of blacks with locks and sagging pants and some other foolishness. I have locks, I wonder if that makes some of these posters want to cross the street when they see me. But I am a woman, so perhaps I get pass on the fear factor. I wish people would stop trying to extrapolate views about an entire race of people based on what some idiots do, just because you think they look the part.

I look at it this way, most of the time when you hear on the news about some man who has killed his wife and hid the body instead of starting divorce proceedings like any sane person would, it's normally some average, every day, clean cut, white guy. The same type of guy that most of you think is a wonderful, law abiding citizen and terrific neighbor. When you hear the horror of some kid shooting up his class because he was depressed or misunderstood or felt picked on, it is normally a white teen. When you hear about someone cooking up meth in their trailer, odds are it's a white person. When you hear about a mother killing her kids...well, you get where I'm going. You all claim you don't want to be PC, so there it is. What I said is the truth. And note I said "normally" in each of those cases, as I'm sure you can find other races who have committed the same crimes, but since so many posters here want to talk about how blacks commit the majority of certain types of crimes, I'm simply showing you that whites have their own craziness to deal with. But how foolish would I be to start talking about how white people are filth and need to be put in cages because some people who just happened to be white behaved like crazy jackasses? When things like this happen, I don't hear anyone saying, oh those poor white people, how sad they don't have better role models in their community. No. People look at it for what it is, individuals who made some horrible, messed up choices and subsequently caused serious harm to others. Whether it's in a place that you all consider to be the "hood" by a black teen in saggy jeans, or it's in a pristine suburb by a white kid that finally snapped, loss of life is loss if life. Criminal activity is criminal activity. And THAT is what we should all be concerned about, not the color of the person committing the crime, what hairstyle they wear, or how low their pants sag.

I will end with this thought. My brother is a 41 year old paramedic, living in Virginia. He has devoted his life to helping other people. Last fall, he came upon a one car accident in a rather deserted area. He was off duty, driving his personal vehicle and in his street clothes -- jeans (no, they weren't saggy and at 41 he certainly can't be mistaken for a teenage "thug"), a hooded sweatshirt, and timberland boots. And yes, he has locks. My brother stopped to try to assist with the accident. The person in the car was a white woman who looked to be in her 40s as well. She refused my brother's help. He explained to her that he was a paramedic, she still refused. Her driver's door was jammed and the car was laying over on the passenger door. Despite her situation, all she could see was a large black man outside her window. So my brother went back to his truck, drove a short distance away so he could keep an eye on this fool woman's car, and then called in the accident. He waited until officers arrived, and he still chose to help them get that woman out of the car even after the way she treated him. That's what MY brother, the big bad scary black man with locks and a hoody, did for someone who treated him like a criminal just by looking at him. So you all will have to excuse me if I find your sweeping generalizations and your references to other human beings as "filth" to be complete and utter bull.

I won't be coming back into this thread, as I refuse to participate in the back and forth nonsense. I'm just sharing this to hopefully make at least one of you think before you immediately judge someone based on how they look. And also to remind you that no community is without its faults, so please get your own house in order before you start talking about how the black community (or "a certain element" as some of you have put it) is embracing crime, or filth that needs to be caged. If you want to talk crime then talk crime, but don't sit there with your blinders on pretending that black folks are the only ones with issues that need to be addressed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Did you know that the week prior to black bike week in Myrtle Beach is white bike week? similar sized event (I guess the news media takes a break that weekend, but the Tuttles were there one year). As a patron of black bike week since the early 80s, 90s and early 2000s (older with family...sigh), it was a blast. No matter the demographic, (Harleys or Ninjas) I would never schedule a vacation during either of those two weeks. Basically, both white and black bike week report similar incidents, bikers having accidents (sometimes fatalities).

Since we're keeping it REAL, some of the issue stems from the shock value white people have when they are all of sudden plopped right in the middle of a black world; no matter the class of black people, it's just a very uncommon environment for the majority of white people and instantly fear takes over (I gotta get out of here reaction). Thus, some the response to the incident in uptown during speed street doesn't surprise me.

No, I am not in favor of "thugs" or gangs taking over the street, police have to be proactive and am sure they will be going forward. But, to finger a certain demographic or race and label "them" as the problem sounds Hitlerish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM
 
1,474 posts, read 3,367,574 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post

I look at it this way, most of the time when you hear on the news about some man who has killed his wife and hid the body instead of starting divorce proceedings like any sane person would, it's normally some average, every day, clean cut, white guy. The same type of guy that most of you think is a wonderful, law abiding citizen and terrific neighbor. When you hear the horror of some kid shooting up his class because he was depressed or misunderstood or felt picked on, it is normally a white teen. When you hear about someone cooking up meth in their trailer, odds are it's a white person. When you hear about a mother killing her kids...well, you get where I'm going. You all claim you don't want to be PC, so there it is. What I said is the truth. And note I said "normally" in each of those cases, as I'm sure you can find other races who have committed the same crimes, but since so many posters here want to talk about how blacks commit the majority of certain types of crimes, I'm simply showing you that whites have their own craziness to deal with.
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! How many times, though, do you hear these stories of those types of crimes? Seriously? Okay, now that you have a general idea of that, how many times do we hear of a shootout in the projects; an armed robbery/assault/murder; a home invasion; a rape?? I'm only pointing this out to show that the amount of crime is disproportionate among our races. And I'm only pointing that out so that somewhere - someday - maybe more people in the black community will look past the idea that I am racist - and actually absorb THE FACTS! THE FACTS! And then DECIDE that something should be done in their community. That they should support the positive figures in their community more. Don't write off everybody that points out painful facts about the black community as RACIST! Some of us would like to see real change and enjoy everybody in society. Some of us would like to see all races succeed in life in large numbers and not hold grudges against each other. When you automatically look for me to be racist, you will wait for something to back you up on that and miss the actual substance of what I am saying. I respect you, regardless of your race.

Quote:
But how foolish would I be to start talking about how white people are filth and need to be put in cages because some people who just happened to be white behaved like crazy jackasses?
That would be foolish wouldn't it?! It would be equally foolish to say that black people are filth and need to be in cages. So, show me where someone said that. I will be the first to condemn that statement.


I hate that happened to your brother. It is sad that there are still some in our society that can't see past skin color - on both sides. All I can hope is that time will fix these paradigms that exist.

Good post by the way! I'm glad you took the time to come in here and discuss this. We are ALL in this together, regardless of what some people would like to believe.

Last edited by PeytonC; 05-31-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top