Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Oh yeah, that makes me feel good. Thugs and vigilantes gunfighting inside a crowded light rail vehicle.

So because someone chooses to arm themselves and carry concealed, they are a vigilante? Ridiculous....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM

181 posts, read 353,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
It is sad. I almost didn't press the "post reply" button as to not offend anyone. But in reality, how does sticking our heads in the sand for sake of being politically correct ever solve these issues? That actually makes things worse. We have to face reality if we ever want real change in our communities. I personally am sick of having to avoid neighborhoods and certain crowds in fear of crime and chaos. Nobody should have to live amongst filth that cause these types of problems. We honestly need REAL policy changes in our judicial system so we can take back our communities ("our" meaning law abiding, honorable citizens) and tell the sensitive PC crowd to go..."enjoy" themselves. Okay...I'm done.
Spot on. Glad you did hit the post reply button.

Speed Street is not the problem, thugs running wild is the problem. Why can they have 200,000 people at a race track with large amounts of alcohol and not have these problems? A certain element is allowed to wreak havoc on innocent people because there is no threat of jail/prison time. Check the arrest records of the two "victims" and see what angels they are. I wish these guys guns would start going off in the their pants and shoot their junk off. Or maybe these guns can go off in their faces when loading. I'm tired of feeling or wondering if I should feel threatened every time I see a dread lock, half on pants, obnoxious, loud, N-word droppin, make a scene everywhere attitudes displayed by many young black males. sick and tired of it.

Last edited by NC72; 05-30-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Build it and "they will come" - movie excerpt.

Stop having these events in areas accessible to thugs.

When is it going to be enough?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There definitely needs to be some changes to the curfew law. 17 minors were arrested after the shooting Saturday night, and I'm guessing there were more then just 17 minors out in uptown Saturday night at 1am.

The current curfew law that I found only applies to those under the age of 16. Considering the local malls have curfew hours for those 17 and under, the city curfew should also be changed to include all minors. There also needs to be stricter penalties for those caught out after curfew, and even stricter penalties for any repeat offenders. Right now its only a fine of up to $100, they need to start raising it by $100 for each offense. I saw nothing in the codes about repeat offenders, so I'm guessing that they're treated the same as those first time offenders. I also didn't see anything about the minor's parents. Ultimately it is the parent's responsibility to take care of the minor, not the city. If the parent's aren't making sure that their children aren't out past the city curfew, then they should also be fined. Once their children's actions start affecting their pocketbook and their lives, I would think (I would hope!) that the parents would start watching their own children a little better.
I'd be willing to bet that whatever parental figures the curfew violators actually have are not going to factor into any enforcement of the curfew laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
That my friends is what the Concealed Carry permit is for. One move to put my or my loved ones lives in danger, and that would have been it. Period. And good riddance!
As others have said, a gun fight on a train car isn't what a CCW is about. It's just not a good situation.

But I'd rather be armed than unarmed in that situation. And I don't think that makes a person a vigilante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Build it and "they will come" - movie excerpt.

Stop having these events in areas accessible to thugs.

When is it going to be enough?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Are you suggesting that the public tailor it's activities based on the habits of some thugs?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
You guys think it's bad now, just wait until they extend the light rail and stops get added along N. Tryon towards Sugar Creek Rd. That's the 11th most dangerous area in the nation, but if the city were to make the train go past that area, we'd hear all kinds of howling about racism and the city would cave. And that right there is a major part of the problem. Everyone knows that there are good people and bad people of every race, but we are never allowed to criticize or address the the bad elements within the Black community without the fear of being labelled a racist. If we can't even mention the problem, then it will never get solved.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You guys think it's bad now, just wait until they extend the light rail and stops get added along N. Tryon towards Sugar Creek Rd. That's the 11th most dangerous area in the nation, but if the city were to make the train go past that area, we'd hear all kinds of howling about racism and the city would cave. And that right there is a major part of the problem. Everyone knows that there are good people and bad people of every race, but we are never allowed to criticize or address the the bad elements within the Black community without the fear of being labelled a racist. If we can't even mention the problem, then it will never get solved.

Too many people, unfortunately including politicians, would rather pretend there is no disproportionate crime problem in ethnic communities. It is easier to completely bypass the reality by calling people names than it is to analyze the situation and work to correct it. We really need representatives in government that are not afraid of the criticism that comes with being brutally honest and actually address these issues.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There definitely needs to be some changes to the curfew law. 17 minors were arrested after the shooting Saturday night, and I'm guessing there were more then just 17 minors out in uptown Saturday night at 1am.
I'm not sure if I agree with curfew laws. Only because that is something that truly punishes a lot of responsible kids. Growing up in DC, we went out to clubs to see bands play just about every weekend and we weren't out causing problems. Same applies here - just because someone is "under 18" does not automatically mean they are causing trouble if they are out later in the evening.

Punishing people who are not doing anything wrong in an effort to curtail the inappropriate behavior of a minority isn't the answer. Punishing those who deserve to be punished is the answer.

Quote:
You guys think it's bad now, just wait until they extend the light rail and stops get added along N. Tryon towards Sugar Creek Rd.
We had a similar problem in Baltimore where the light rail became a means by which inner city thugs gained access to wealthier areas of the city, and crime in those areas often went up as a result. It got to the point where communities tried to prevent light rail stops from being added in their own neighborhood as a result.

Quote:
Everyone knows that there are good people and bad people of every race, but we are never allowed to criticize or address the the bad elements within the Black community without the fear of being labelled a racist. If we can't even mention the problem, then it will never get solved.
Agreed. But, there has to be some logic in making these statements. Saying something like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I'm tired of feeling or wondering if I should feel threatened every time I see a dread lock, half on pants, obnoxious, loud, N-word droppin, make a scene everywhere attitudes displayed by many young black males.
...does come off as racist. Mainly because the discussion gets away from behaviors and, instead, labels everyone as a thug because of superficial variables that don't necessarily mean anything.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So because someone chooses to arm themselves and carry concealed, they are a vigilante? Ridiculous....
No, I recommend you re-read what what I stated. I said gunfighting in a train, not being armed in a train. There is a big difference.

If it were up to me, I would scrap all gun laws except this. If you carry a gun, you have to wear it in a holster so everyone can see it. & If someone draws on you, you can shoot them dead with no fear of prosecution. & If you shoot someone without a gun or in the back, it's murder and you get a date with Mr. Sparky.

I suspect this would shut-up a lot of boastful claims of ones carrying hidden guns as well as the cowardly thugs.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
No, I recommend you read what was stated again. I said gunfighting. There is a difference.
I know what you wrote, what I am trying to figure out is who is being the vigilante?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Not sarcastic at all just presenting the facts.
Can't wait to see what normally happens this
4th of July Downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'd be willing to bet that whatever parental figures the curfew violators actually have are not going to factor into any enforcement of the curfew laws.

As others have said, a gun fight on a train car isn't what a CCW is about. It's just not a good situation.

But I'd rather be armed than unarmed in that situation. And I don't think that makes a person a vigilante.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Are you suggesting that the public tailor it's activities based on the habits of some thugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte