U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,784,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
I'm not mad at you, but you really just have no idea......
There is no need to strip law abiding citizens of their protection. The thought of that is frightening.
This is how it was done in the USA/colonies for hundreds of years and it solved the problem as indicated. It forces people who carry guns to also take responsibility for them. Whether you are mad at me is irrelevant. This isn't stripping people of protection, it makes them safer. History is the proof of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

So the solution to children behaving badly is to give them free regular concerts?
No, the solution for those that break the law is jail. However, the vast majority of these kids are not breaking the law (with the exception of the curfew, but quite a few are over 18).
Quote:
How about the public insist on standard of personal responsibility & accountability regardless of race.

The old phrase is that idleness is the devil's workshop, but boredom certainly is no excuse for crime.
Let's be clear on one thing. Not every young person hanging out uptown are committing crimes. However, many visitors to uptown will still feel uncomfortable with the large groups of "thuggish" looking youngsters walking around (whether they are actually committing a crime or not). My solution will give these "thuggish looking youngsters" (the ones not committing crimes) another option rather than uptown. FWIW, most of them don't look like thugs to me, but "others" might not agree with me on this one.

The former Eastland Mall or Freedom Mall property could have late night basketball tournaments, fashion shows, freestyle (rap) competitions, hair/make-up, artists row, dance clubs etc etc. Add to this a strong police presence as well as the presence of some local churches and this could be a CIAA/family reunion type event all Summer long for the inner city youth. Parents and grand parents would be encouraged to participate as well. Such an event would make the uptown scene too boring for these kids (thus they won't go uptown). Problem solved... The other solutions; rid uptown of all major events...... Or make it illegal for "thuggish looking youths" to walk around uptown (which would be an invitation for Al Sharpton to return to Charlotte)

I wish I had the money because I would fund this idea myself just to keep the "two worlds" within my city from bringing this city down. YES, I blame both (the "thugs" that act a fool and the Charlotteans screaming "it's not my kids therefore it is not my problem; learn some personal responsibility"). No matter what side of the fence you are on, screaming personal responsibility is not a solution for those that don't have that moral characteristic (if they had it, you would not be screaming it). The solution is providing another option that makes uptown less desirable to the "undesirables" within the city. Plain and simple.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 05-31-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
Just to keep things in perspective, Speed Street has nothing on the weekend's activities in Myrtle Beach.

The Sun News: Myrtle Beach Police Inundated with Crime

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No, the solution for those that break the law is jail. --- The solution is providing another option that makes uptown less desirable to the "undesirables" within the city. Plain and simple.
Great post UC, I agree with you on several points as long as you are not saying it is GovCo's responsibility to setup these entertainment venues for youth.
Furthermore, it should not be up to Speed Street (or whoever is running any Uptown event) to fund a completely different event at another location to attract idle youth.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,983,864 times
Quote:
Just to keep things in perspective, Speed Street has nothing on the weekend's activities in Myrtle Beach.

Miami as well... One killed, seven injured during police-involved shootings on South Beach - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/30/2241990/police-gunmen-open-fire-on-south.html - broken link)

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,366,415 times
Yeah, this type of crime is definitely not exclusive to Charlotte. I'm posting from my Droid, so if someone can post the link to the melee in Boston the other day - it sounds eerily similar to what happened here, with gang bangers causing problems.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,983,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Yeah, this type of crime is definitely not exclusive to Charlotte. I'm posting from my Droid, so if someone can post the link to the melee in Boston the other day - it sounds eerily similar to what happened here, with gang bangers causing problems.
Here it is: Fights break out at Carson Beach - The Boston Globe

And Nashville: http://www.whnt.com/news/sns-ap-tn--poolclosed,0,4355212.story (broken link)

And New York: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/...in-long-beach/

Last edited by Carolina Blue; 05-31-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,578,490 times
Quote:

You do realize what this past weekend was in Myrtle Beach, other than Memorial Day weekend right?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,578,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Ahh, why didn't you say so in the first place? The vigilante would be the party who felt it was necessary to execute the one he felt was being threatening rather than leave it to the civil authorities. In this case shooting idiots in a train as shown in the video that I posted. This is the definition of the word and doesn't have anything to do with whether laws allow for it or not.

And here in lies the problem. I consider concealed gun laws to be gunfighting for cowards whether they be thugs or vigilantes. It puts other people in danger. I wasn't clear about gun laws above so I will rephrase it here. This is how to eliminate gun danger from civil folk.
  • Eliminate all gun laws, including permitting, except for the one that requires any gun to be in clear view when carried such as in a gun holster.
  • Anyone over the age of 17 can carry.
  • If you carry a gun, you are free to shoot someone else with a gun as long as it is a fair fight. Winner is the survivor and won't be prosecuted or sued. Assume that when you strap it on, you become a target.
  • If the fight isn't fair, i.e. you hid the gun, shot someone in the back, did a drive by, etc. Then it's murder, you get executed.
  • If you shoot someone without a gun, even in the process of having a gun fight as above, then it's murder and you get executed. No exceptions unless a good case can be made for an accidental discharge.
  • Above applies to anyone over 17. Don't want to gun fight, then don't carry a gun. Police are not exempt.
This is what 2nd Amendment intended. Everyone is happy. It's also gun control by Darwinism. Do this and I predict that most crime and guns will disappear from society in a few years (it will take a while for the gene pool to cull itself). We wouldn't need jails and huge police forces.

Thanks for the reply.....I do not necessarily agree with you but this is another topic for perhaps another day.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,567,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Not exclusive to Charlotte, but seems exclusive to a demographic.
"Urban Beach Week", formerly Black Beach Week in Miami; and the event in Myrtle Beach was known as Black Biker Week. If I were to go on vacation, I would like to know if these events were going on before I went there.

Last edited by rdub1968; 05-31-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte