U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times
Reputation: 3035

Advertisements

So... there have been many festivals uptown *without* gang activity, violence and mayhem. I don't have a grasp on what happened this time. One article said groups of young African-Americans were blocking the streets; that's certainly NOT typical of an uptown festival.

Taste of Charlotte; Speed Street; Blues, Brews & BBQ - all festivals I've attended, even being there late sometimes, and I've never seen anything like that. People are complaining that CMPD wasn't prepared -- how could they be? This is out of character for our city... and I'll wager the force will be more prepared in the future.

Has anyone heard exactly what happened? Who was involved? Why it happened?

Is it likely to happen again? I'm trying to wrap my mind around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
So... there have been many festivals uptown *without* gang activity, violence and mayhem. I don't have a grasp on what happened this time. One article said groups of young African-Americans were blocking the streets; that's certainly NOT typical of an uptown festival.

Taste of Charlotte; Speed Street; Blues, Brews & BBQ - all festivals I've attended, even being there late sometimes, and I've never seen anything like that. People are complaining that CMPD wasn't prepared -- how could they be? This is out of character for our city... and I'll wager the force will be more prepared in the future.

Has anyone heard exactly what happened? Who was involved? Why it happened?

Is it likely to happen again? I'm trying to wrap my mind around it.
The thugs over took the streets of downtown as the minutes ticked away. I know this to be a fact because I have a good friend who works downtown in the Blumenthal rigging for shows and was commenting on FB as the situation went South. I watched it in a virtual sense. CMPD had ample time to bring in more man power. All it takes is one radio call. This isn't out of character for our city,(it just happened uptown and not in a surrounding "neighborhood") people of this city are in denial and have their heads in the sand because they don't want to or have the guts to call a spade a spade.

What people do not want to get their arms around is that while this has not been the typical in the past, unfortunately times have changed and society has coddled these thugs and they have no fear. So yes it is likely to happen again, it WILL happen again. Charlotte is not the "world class city" that people want to believe.

Details of what happened are listed on media outlet website in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 AM
 
1,253 posts, read 4,160,031 times
Reputation: 622
You are right, this is somewhat unusual for Charlotte. The rumor is that there were two gangs who had lots of people in from out of town for some sort of confrontation. It all went down on Saturday night and I doubt they were even aware of speed street (not really your average NASCAR fans).

Bad timing I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM
 
3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The thugs over took the streets of downtown as the minutes ticked away. I know this to be a fact because I have a good friend who works downtown in the Blumenthal rigging for shows and was commenting on FB as the situation went South. I watched it in a virtual sense. CMPD had ample time to bring in more man power. All it takes is one radio call. This isn't out of character for our city,(it just happened uptown and not in a surrounding "neighborhood") people of this city are in denial and have their heads in the sand because they don't want to or have the guts to call a spade a spade.

What people do not want to get their arms around is that while this has not been the typical in the past, unfortunately times have changed and society has coddled these thugs and they have no fear. So yes it is likely to happen again, it WILL happen again. Charlotte is not the "world class city" that people want to believe.

Details of what happened are listed on media outlet website in Charlotte.
This happens all over the WORLD and in world class cities; even in cities where a white thugs cause mayhem. BTW, I enjoy Charlotte but it's not world class by any means yet (comparing to the London, NY and Tokyos). There are parts of Montreal that make the toughest parts of Charlotte look tame (no "spades" there). You're overreacting to very manageable incident that was handled reactively versus proactively.

There are some bad folk in the world....just like the idiot who bombed the Olympics in 1996.

However, I take issue to many generalizations stated on here regarding a certain demographic. During the CIAA in March, you have over 150,000 black people in uptown Charlotte, usually without much incident....some with baggy shorts (which I despise), hoodys, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,984,243 times
Reputation: 1666
The CIAA is a good event to mention. The reason you don’t have this problem during CIAA is because there are a lot of older people at the events. I was in Uptown on Saturday so I will give an eyewitness account of what I saw. I will start by saying the shooting that happened between the two 22 year old men IMO could have very well been totally unrelated to the mayhem that was going on Uptown. It was an unfortunate incident but I didn’t see too many 22 year olds causing trouble. The problem was there were throngs upon throngs of rowdy, unsupervised and very disrespectful “children” roaming through Uptown. It honestly looked like someone rounded up every middle school student in CMS and dumped them off at The Square. They were all over. They were at speed street, all over The Square and all down Trade. Contrary to what some of have said, I didn’t observe many of these kids at all patronizing any of the vendors, free ones or not. It was sort of akin to being at a mall when kids just go to see and be seen. This is not typical for events Uptown, but the fact is it has happened before. Rather than just complain and throw out a bunch of useless clichés, I’ll offer what I think the plan should have been. First Charlotte should have a better curfew law. Charlotte only requires “Kids 16 and under to be home by 11PM”. That needs to be more restrictive and more detailed. Secondly I place some of the blame on the 600 Festival staff. They actually had the entrance to the festival blocked off. So there was an opportunity to control who was coming in, but they didn’t. There’s no way they should have let kids enter who were not supervised. You would still have the problem with kids being outside the festival, but at least they could have controlled who was inside the immediate festival area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
This happens all over the WORLD and in world class cities; even in cities where a white thugs cause mayhem. BTW, I enjoy Charlotte but it's not world class by any means yet (comparing to the London, NY and Tokyos). There are parts of Montreal that make the toughest parts of Charlotte look tame (no "spades" there). You're overreacting to very manageable incident that was handled reactively versus proactively.

There are some bad folk in the world....just like the idiot who bombed the Olympics in 1996.

However, I take issue to many generalizations stated on here regarding a certain demographic. During the CIAA in March, you have over 150,000 black people in uptown Charlotte, usually without much incident....some with baggy shorts (which I despise), hoodys, etc.
Don't twist my words. I didn't use the word "spade" for any insinuations. I don't play word games.

Generalizations? The demographic that was involved Saturday was black males. That is fact not a generalization. I don't care what is happening in other cities in this country or any other, until the people of THIS community stop covering up and sugar coating life for these thugs this type of thing will in fact continue. I am not overreacting and it obviously wasn't manageable, because it wasn't! The sad part is that those who are good people can't enjoy activities because of the thugs and their cronies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:45 PM
 
3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times
Reputation: 1797
I saw a report on the news last night about the gang-banger who was killed. His mom and family were there defending him, true to form, saying what a good kid and father he was (again, true to form, he has a 4-year-old son), and that he wasn't involved in a gang. Right after they said that, they had their ceremony, complete with gang members wearing their colors, and making a memorial for him with their colors and draping it with bandannas. I really wish the urban community would stop embracing such a horrible lifestyle! It's really ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The CIAA is a good event to mention. The reason you don’t have this problem during CIAA is because there are a lot of older people at the events. I was in Uptown on Saturday so I will give an eyewitness account of what I saw. I will start by saying the shooting that happened between the two 22 year old men IMO could have very well been totally unrelated to the mayhem that was going on Uptown. It was an unfortunate incident but I didn’t see too many 22 year olds causing trouble. The problem was there were throngs upon throngs of rowdy, unsupervised and very disrespectful “children” roaming through Uptown. It honestly looked like someone rounded up every middle school student in CMS and dumped them off at The Square. They were all over. They were at speed street, all over The Square and all down Trade. Contrary to what some of have said, I didn’t observe many of these kids at all patronizing any of the vendors, free ones or not. It was sort of akin to being at a mall when kids just go to see and be seen. This is not typical for events Uptown, but the fact is it has happened before. Rather than just complain and throw out a bunch of useless clichés, I’ll offer what I think the plan should have been. First Charlotte should have a better curfew law. Charlotte only requires “Kids 16 and under to be home by 11PM”. That needs to be more restrictive and more detailed. Secondly I place some of the blame on the 600 Festival staff. They actually had the entrance to the festival blocked off. So there was an opportunity to control who was coming in, but they didn’t. There’s no way they should have let kids enter who were not supervised. You would still have the problem with kids being outside the festival, but at least they could have controlled who was inside the immediate festival area.
Entrance to the festival? Speed Street is downtown with access to the activities via many directions. There is NO solitary entrance.

With that said, you can't control who can come through the gates( if something like that exists in any event)......that is racial profiling and a law suit waiting to happen. It comes down to character and morals which is lacking in today's society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
181 posts, read 301,174 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I saw a report on the news last night about the gang-banger who was killed. His mom and family were there defending him, true to form, saying what a good kid and father he was (again, true to form, he has a 4-year-old son), and that he wasn't involved in a gang. Right after they said that, they had their ceremony, complete with gang members wearing their colors, and making a memorial for him with their colors and draping it with bandannas. I really wish the urban community would stop embracing such a horrible lifestyle! It's really ridiculous!
I saw that too. What an angel.

Antwan Terrell Smith Arrest Inquiry Web - Arrest Browse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,984,243 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Entrance to the festival? Speed Street is downtown with access to the activities via many directions. There is NO solitary entrance.

With that said, you can't control who can come through the gates( if something like that exists in any event)......that is racial profiling and a law suit waiting to happen. It comes down to character and morals which is lacking in today's society.
You're wrong. There were controlled entrances all over. They made sure you didn't take beer or alcohol in or out. That's always the case. You said you weren't there right? This is what I meant by throwing out useless cliché’s. You really aren’t saying anything but the obvious. That most of the trouble makers were black. But now that we’ve established their race, which no one is denying, what is your solution other than a tongue lashing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top