U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,456 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 yrs old son with autism and epilepsy who is non-verbal and very severe developmental delays in almost all of the areas.
We live in Pittsburgh,PA suburb.
He is qualified for Medical Assistance(Medicaid?) regardless of parents income given his disability.
Since school district does not have enough services in regular classroom, the SD sent him to a private school which specializes in autism services. He goes to school for 6 hrs(Pre-School) and gets wonderful services in terms of OT and Speech.
My husband has been offered a job in Charlotte and thinking to take it up however our biggest concern is whether our son will get services he needs and receives now in PA?
We are open to move to any county(Union, Macklenburg) around Charlotte.
My questions are
(1) How does medical assistance(MA) work? Does he get MA regardless of parental income and private health insurance through parents?.This comes very handy with wrap-around services and co-pays.
(2) Which school district is the best known for Autism services in metro Charlotte?
If someone could throw some lights, We would really really appreciate.

Thank You
dabhs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:14 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
I have no input towards your questions but just wanted to say welcome, yinz guys.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM

441 posts, read 1,068,180 times
Several years ago we had a neighbor with a son with Autism. She was not happy with the services CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) offered their son. I do not recall the specifics, but she eventually homeschooled him until they moved, ironically, to PA (where her husband was from)!. That being said, this was about 8-10 years ago and the boy was about 5 or 6...just starting school. Things may have changed. However, do know that CMS is going through dranstic budget issues and cutbacks. You may want to call the school system here (special education I think is the department name you would want) and get some information.

Finally, there is a very small charter school north of Charlotte in a town called Davidson. It has a GREAT program for autistic kids, inclusive in the greater school. The school is Davidson COmmunity School. It is entry by lottery only and VERY hard to get into. But, if you move down her be sure (in January of each year) to consider putting your name in the lottery. I have heard that Lincoln Charter also has a good special ed. department, but not sure if that extends to autistic children (my friend's son who is there have very severe ADHD and ODD).

Good luck with your choice!

Taben

Old 06-04-2011, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,970 times
dabhs,

Medicaid works very differently here in NC than it does in PA, as do the services that schools are willing and able to provide to children with autism and other developmental disabilities. I strongly suggest that you contact one of our Parent Advocates in the Charlotte, Mecklenburg area for more details. You can find a list of our advocates and their regions on our website here [url=http://www.autismsociety-nc.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&It emid=711]Advocacy for Families[/url] Not sure the link will show up, so here is our Parent Advocates phone number in Charlotte 704-894-9678.

Jen Mahan
Autism Society of North Carolina

Last edited by mahanjk; 06-04-2011 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: adding phone number

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 AM

308 posts, read 529,877 times
I know three couples from out of state that have children that are autistic, both high and low levels. They are very pleased with the services that they receive in the Charlotte area. One of the parents is actually a teacher that revently moved here from Youngstown, Oho. One is from Miami and the other from New Jersey. I have heard that the worse problem with working with the social services people in Mecklenburg Co. is actually finding someone that wants to help and has a positive attitude. Good luck. You should not have issues concerning autism.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM

488 posts, read 657,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
Several years ago we had a neighbor with a son with Autism. She was not happy with the services CMS (Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools) offered their son. I do not recall the specifics, but she eventually homeschooled him until they moved, ironically, to PA (where her husband was from)!. That being said, this was about 8-10 years ago and the boy was about 5 or 6...just starting school. Things may have changed. However, do know that CMS is going through dranstic budget issues and cutbacks. You may want to call the school system here (special education I think is the department name you would want) and get some information.

Finally, there is a very small charter school north of Charlotte in a town called Davidson. It has a GREAT program for autistic kids, inclusive in the greater school. The school is Davidson COmmunity School. It is entry by lottery only and VERY hard to get into. But, if you move down her be sure (in January of each year) to consider putting your name in the lottery. I have heard that Lincoln Charter also has a good special ed. department, but not sure if that extends to autistic children (my friend's son who is there have very severe ADHD and ODD).

Good luck with your choice!

Taben
Children's Community School in Davidson is one of the best schools ANYWHERE - but getting into it is almost as difficult as winning Powerball.

Last time I asked they had over 5000 applicants for about 100 openings. We have tried every year since first grade for my son to get in and the lowest number we have ever gotten is 54. He is now going into 8th grade.

We only apply now because I am too stubborn not to.

I do think Davidson Day has a program for learning disabilities but I am unsure if the child in this thread would work in their program. CMS usually does an inclusion program for children with disabilities.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 AM

247 posts, read 761,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhs View Post
I have a 6 yrs old son with autism and epilepsy who is non-verbal and very severe developmental delays in almost all of the areas.
We live in Pittsburgh,PA suburb.
He is qualified for Medical Assistance(Medicaid?) regardless of parents income given his disability.
Since school district does not have enough services in regular classroom, the SD sent him to a private school which specializes in autism services. He goes to school for 6 hrs(Pre-School) and gets wonderful services in terms of OT and Speech.
My husband has been offered a job in Charlotte and thinking to take it up however our biggest concern is whether our son will get services he needs and receives now in PA?
We are open to move to any county(Union, Macklenburg) around Charlotte.
My questions are
(1) How does medical assistance(MA) work? Does he get MA regardless of parental income and private health insurance through parents?.This comes very handy with wrap-around services and co-pays.
(2) Which school district is the best known for Autism services in metro Charlotte?
If someone could throw some lights, We would really really appreciate.

Thank You
dabhs
I do not have the answers to your questions at this time but I will research and let you know what I find out. I am sure that you will be able to find a facility and a school that suits your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or