U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
This entire thread was about a private school being worth the costs. From the posts I was seeing it looked like folks were implying that Charlotte schools were not up to snuff, I did not mean to lable them. I haven't been here long enough to know either way. My entire point was my education was as good as any private school and it was 100% state tax payer funded. I was not getting high an mighty about TN schools. I lived there 3 years while I was in high school. I have no ties to the state what so ever other than that. Folks are so defensive on this board
I was simply responding to your comment "Its a shame public schools in Charlotte aren't up to snuff". Nowhere in anything I said did I imply that about Charlotte schools - we have many fine ones here. Not being defensive, just striving for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
298 posts, read 477,709 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
IMHO NO education is worth that kind of money (unless it's a college education). I'd rather hire a private tutor to work one on one with my kid all day....that would truly be a "personalized" education LOL.
I looked in to the Fletcher School for my LD daughter and there is no way I could justify the cost.
Private school costs in Charlotte are outrageous!
I am looking into Dore (have looked at Fletcher) and the cost of these schools are double what I paid at her prior private school for children w/dyslexia. (It was in another state). I must say though that if your child has severe LD/language processing disorder you are almost forced to pay the tuition, as they will not get what they need in most public school situations (so much for FAPE). Halfway thru 1st grade my child could not count to ten or recite the alphabet. She made such enormous progress in her year and a half at the private school, as she started at a pre-k level and finished in the upper 2nd grade, beginning of 3rd (she is 8). In that situation, anything is worth the cost, in my opinion, because these kids have a very limited window of opportunity to have their problems remediated, -kind of a pay now or pay later situation, in my opinion. At least with these schools I feel the money is justified, as they often have only 5-12 kids per class, in addition to heavily trained staff, so they are expensive to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,398 times
Reputation: 11
Wink Pds recommended

You say that going to a private school is just an excuse to drive fancy cars and brag all day? Are you serious? Have you even met someone who goes to PDS? I go there and I also get financial aid from there. No, I didnt have the money to get in, so I worked to get into the program. People who graduate from a private school do have a better chance in getting into a good college. Some people may not want to accept it, but it is the truth. You're not wasting your money when you pay for a good education. Don't get me wrong, the IB program is very good, but it is just so competitive that it is very hard to go to the school you want to. To the people who say you went to a public school and you are just fine, if you were ever given the chance to get a better education, would you take it? I think you would. It's worth the money, and we now have a brand new headmaster, Dr. Creighton, who is AMAZING! We do need to work very hard, just like anyone else, we just have more oppurtunities.

To everyone who is wondering, yes, I have gone to school in a public school. I went to Mclintock and East Meck, and to tell the truth, I feel much safer at PDS when I know that no one is going to try and sell me drugs and that at the end of the year I will still have everyone in my grade and none of them going to jail. That's the reputation of East, and yes it is getting better. But since I went there I know that it isn't just a rumor that it is an unsafe school.

private schooling is highly recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 PM
 
870 posts, read 3,210,199 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniestew3 View Post
You say that going to a private school is just an excuse to drive fancy cars and brag all day? Are you serious? Have you even met someone who goes to PDS? I go there and I also get financial aid from there. No, I didnt have the money to get in, so I worked to get into the program. People who graduate from a private school do have a better chance in getting into a good college. Some people may not want to accept it, but it is the truth. You're not wasting your money when you pay for a good education. Don't get me wrong, the IB program is very good, but it is just so competitive that it is very hard to go to the school you want to. To the people who say you went to a public school and you are just fine, if you were ever given the chance to get a better education, would you take it? I think you would. It's worth the money, and we now have a brand new headmaster, Dr. Creighton, who is AMAZING! We do need to work very hard, just like anyone else, we just have more oppurtunities.

To everyone who is wondering, yes, I have gone to school in a public school. I went to Mclintock and East Meck, and to tell the truth, I feel much safer at PDS when I know that no one is going to try and sell me drugs and that at the end of the year I will still have everyone in my grade and none of them going to jail. That's the reputation of East, and yes it is getting better. But since I went there I know that it isn't just a rumor that it is an unsafe school.

private schooling is highly recommended.

Very well said! I have 2 kids at PDS and would not change where they go. My high schooler was going to change over to a public high school in the 9th grade but he was further along in most of his classes that his counterparts. The principal told us he would be bored in their classes. My other son is playing sports and traveling to places no public school has the option of going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 04:32 AM
 
30 posts, read 89,468 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniestew3 View Post
You say that going to a private school is just an excuse to drive fancy cars and brag all day? Are you serious? Have you even met someone who goes to PDS? I go there and I also get financial aid from there. No, I didnt have the money to get in, so I worked to get into the program. People who graduate from a private school do have a better chance in getting into a good college. Some people may not want to accept it, but it is the truth. You're not wasting your money when you pay for a good education. Don't get me wrong, the IB program is very good, but it is just so competitive that it is very hard to go to the school you want to. To the people who say you went to a public school and you are just fine, if you were ever given the chance to get a better education, would you take it? I think you would. It's worth the money, and we now have a brand new headmaster, Dr. Creighton, who is AMAZING! We do need to work very hard, just like anyone else, we just have more oppurtunities.

To everyone who is wondering, yes, I have gone to school in a public school. I went to Mclintock and East Meck, and to tell the truth, I feel much safer at PDS when I know that no one is going to try and sell me drugs and that at the end of the year I will still have everyone in my grade and none of them going to jail. That's the reputation of East, and yes it is getting better. But since I went there I know that it isn't just a rumor that it is an unsafe school.

private schooling is highly recommended.
Annie, I have been interested in PDS but the tuition costs especially for three kids is quite a frightening thought. Would you be able to tell me a little more about their financial aid program and what do you mean when you say you worked to get into the program? You can PM me if you like. Thanks! I'd appreciate any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniestew3 View Post
You say that going to a private school is just an excuse to drive fancy cars and brag all day? Are you serious? Have you even met someone who goes to PDS? I go there and I also get financial aid from there. No, I didnt have the money to get in, so I worked to get into the program. People who graduate from a private school do have a better chance in getting into a good college. Some people may not want to accept it, but it is the truth. You're not wasting your money when you pay for a good education. Don't get me wrong, the IB program is very good, but it is just so competitive that it is very hard to go to the school you want to. To the people who say you went to a public school and you are just fine, if you were ever given the chance to get a better education, would you take it? I think you would. It's worth the money, and we now have a brand new headmaster, Dr. Creighton, who is AMAZING! We do need to work very hard, just like anyone else, we just have more oppurtunities.

To everyone who is wondering, yes, I have gone to school in a public school. I went to Mclintock and East Meck, and to tell the truth, I feel much safer at PDS when I know that no one is going to try and sell me drugs and that at the end of the year I will still have everyone in my grade and none of them going to jail. That's the reputation of East, and yes it is getting better. But since I went there I know that it isn't just a rumor that it is an unsafe school.

private schooling is highly recommended.
Well said Annie! Congrats on your bright future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,036,033 times
Reputation: 2270
I graduated from Charlotte Christian almost 20 years ago and cannot say enough good things about the current state of the school. Currently we have our two daughters enrolled there and just could not be more pleased (5k & 1st grade). It is not for bragging rights, I assure you. We make certain lifestyle choices to make this happen, it is that important to us.

I wish it was 1/3 the cost of PDS!
More like a few K less a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Reputation: 39846
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I graduated from Charlotte Christian almost 20 years ago and cannot say enough good things about the current state of the school. Currently we have our two daughters enrolled there and just could not be more pleased (5k & 1st grade). It is not for bragging rights, I assure you. We make certain lifestyle choices to make this happen, it is that important to us.

I wish it was 1/3 the cost of PDS!
More like a few K less a year.
I salute you, and I 110% agree with you. Charlotte Christian is an awesome school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
 
755 posts, read 2,242,235 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
It is not for bragging rights, I assure you. We make certain lifestyle choices to make this happen, it is that important to us.
I had my children at Latin until we moved earlier this year. I remember people on my street making disparaging remarks about private school or how they just "couldn't afford it" when we had the oldest cars on the street and were literally the only people who didn't have a boat.

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing to send their children to an independent school, and "bragging rights" is usually not even on people's radar. As a matter of fact, I used to DREAD the "where do your kids go to school" question. I certainly never bragged about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
 
1,166 posts, read 3,544,087 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I had my children at Latin until we moved earlier this year. I remember people on my street making disparaging remarks about private school or how they just "couldn't afford it" when we had the oldest cars on the street and were literally the only people who didn't have a boat.

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing to send their children to an independent school, and "bragging rights" is usually not even on people's radar. As a matter of fact, I used to DREAD the "where do your kids go to school" question. I certainly never bragged about it.
Very well-said, Weedydidi.

We live in the East Meck district and sent our kids to a private school. Mind you this was before the IB programs were in place. If I were to do it today, I would at least give the East Meck IB program a good try. I have friends whose kids are in this program and who are very pleased with it. I have another friend whose daughter was in the IB program in one of the best private schools in Charlotte. Having heard good things about the it, they switched to the Myers Park IB program and feel that it has been every bit as challenging and enriching as her old program at the private school.

Keep in mind, that you can take your kids to Tuscany, London, Paris, Japan and Manchu Picchu and back for the money that you spend on a private school. With trips such as these would be an education in themselves. Coupled with a strong learning environment at home - parents who read and discuss - you could educate your kids in the IB program without speninding the $$$$$ for a private school.

Having said all of this, I have to say that the most important element in a school is it's culture. If you want your kids to be well-educated, send them to a school where the culture centers around learning. If you want them to be great athletes send them to a school whose culture glorifies athletics. No matter what culture you choose, be sure that the student body is well-controlled and that your kids will not have to struggle to learn while the teacher tries to control kids who have not been taught correct behavior at home.

Finally,a very important factor is the kids who your kids hang out with,
the role models they are exposed to. Kids feed each other with their intellects and ambitions.

It's a hard choice. We have been very happy with the one we made, but sometimes wonder if today we couldn't get these same advantages in the public schools with the IB programs. I'd say look into these programs carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top