U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,550,628 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a home in the Lansdowne, McClintock and East Mecklenburg school district, which I think are okay but not great schools??? If we go with private schools, I have been looking into Charlotte Christian (which seems to get mixed reviews) and Providence Day School, which is almost three times as expensive!!! Does anyone know anything about this private school and is it really worth the money??? Thanks, MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

62 posts, read 271,136 times
A friend of mine use to work there. At this point he says it might be impossible to even get in with enrollement already picked. Also, in his opinion he saw things there that he said would not be worth the money. Even stating that he wouldn't want his kids going there. You will probably hear both sides. Maybe alot of parents like the school but don't know what "really" goes on behind closed doors. It does have a great rep with colleges and good athletics if those are a factor. Good luck. Isn't it close to $19,000 for HS?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,295,455 times
IMHO NO education is worth that kind of money (unless it's a college education). I'd rather hire a private tutor to work one on one with my kid all day....that would truly be a "personalized" education LOL.
I looked in to the Fletcher School for my LD daughter and there is no way I could justify the cost.
Private school costs in Charlotte are outrageous!

Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,429,664 times
If I breed (haha), I will send my kids to a private school like PDS. My older friends' children who went there are all in very good colleges and were better prepared than their public school counterparts.

I am shocked that someone would think that "no education is worth the cost" of PDS. If one can afford it, you cannot put a price tag on education. I'll send my kids to Choate if I can afford it!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,667,060 times
Default private

I agree private school all the way. It made such a difference for me and my friends in college and I was from Pa where the public schools are top notch!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM

69 posts, read 249,826 times
To speak on the issue of your neighborhood schools: I have two friends with kids at Landsdown and they are both very, very happy. McClintock has had problems in the past but they just got a wonderful new principal--Pam Espinosa--who has proven experience in turning around schools that have struggled. East Meck just got a HUGE grant from an alumni and has wonderful plans to make their school a great community. I would definitely look into all those schools.

If you are not happy with those options, Charlotte Secondary Charter School opens this fall on Monroe Rd, not far from you. It will start with just 6th grade and grow to 6-12th grade over the next few years. It offers a wonderful program and it is free.

Theresa

Old 08-06-2007, 06:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,173,856 times
Providence Day is only a few thousand a year more than Charlotte Christian, not 3 times the price.

I don't know what ages your children are, but there are some very fine Elem. private Christian schools that are not nearly the cost. Providence Christian, Carmel Christian, Weddington Christian are all pretty good schools, but only go up to 5-8th grade at the most. I know there are more, but those are the ones I can think of off hand.

I have friends whose kids go to Providence Day and really love it.

Dawn

Old 08-06-2007, 09:58 AM

70 posts, read 122,525 times
We moved to Union County from a McClintock/East Meck three years ago and have been very pleased with the Weddington schools. We had issues with the principal of McClintock at the time (the then-superintendent's wife). I have friends whose kids go to East Meck and others whose kids go to Providence Day School and Charlotte Christian. The people I know with kids at East Meck are in its IB program, and are getting an excellent education. The money they would otherwise be pouring into PDS or CCS can be set aside for their kids' college funds.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsamarama View Post
We moved to Union County from a McClintock/East Meck three years ago and have been very pleased with the Weddington schools. We had issues with the principal of McClintock at the time (the then-superintendent's wife). I have friends whose kids go to East Meck and others whose kids go to Providence Day School and Charlotte Christian. The people I know with kids at East Meck are in its IB program, and are getting an excellent education. The money they would otherwise be pouring into PDS or CCS can be set aside for their kids' college funds.
I certainly agree that the people I know whose kids are in the IB program at East Meck are VERY happy.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM

367 posts, read 929,805 times
You can get a fine education in public schools and universities. I can't believe how people think going to an expensive private school is going to better prepare you for life. Please, I got a fine education in public schools. Private school is just for bragging rights just like driving and expensive car that makes you a target for car jackings. If you got a motivated child they will do fine in public school and college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or