Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Are the places you are applying to actually telling you you have no experience? It seems to me that you do have some experience.

My husband is an accountant and I do know they have hired a few people this year.

I think the problem is too that for every job available there are a lot of people who are applying. In DH's firm they also prefer referrals to posting a position and getting cold applications. I guess that is true in all jobs, it becomes who you know.

Sorry you are having trouble finding something.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, I had 2 internships. One with a public hospital where I audited expense reports, flowcharted processes, and helped design new processes. I also had an internship with a tax accounting firm, which was basically a temporary tax preparer job. Both internships paid me, and thought I did a good job.

My school does have on campus recruiting, but for complicated reasons, I did not take advantage of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_Nikki View Post
Have you applied recently at any of the Big 4, I believe they may be hiring.
They usually hire in the fall a year before you actually start.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Are the places you are applying to actually telling you you have no experience? It seems to me that you do have some experience.

My husband is an accountant and I do know they have hired a few people this year.

I think the problem is too that for every job available there are a lot of people who are applying. In DH's firm they also prefer referrals to posting a position and getting cold applications. I guess that is true in all jobs, it becomes who you know.

Sorry you are having trouble finding something.

Dawn
Most never get back to me so I have no clue.

My guess is the economic situation. I might be unemployed but I have a non-accounting job and family to fall back on until I get a good job, so I am better than a lot of other people. Still it sucks to apply to a dozen places a day every day and never hear back from them. Hopefully things will improve for everyone.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

32 posts, read 102,802 times
Quote:
They usually hire in the fall a year before you actually start.
I believe thats for college hires not experienced. Well, at least thats how our location works. I can't speak for Charlotte. I would do a search for experienced hires and see if there is anything. Also are you in any associations, attending meetings etc may help with leads.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 PM

This is accurate. My husband was hired in November to start in February.

OP: Have you hired a headhunter at all?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_Nikki View Post
I believe thats for college hires not experienced. Well, at least thats how our location works. I can't speak for Charlotte. I would do a search for experienced hires and see if there is anything. Also are you in any associations, attending meetings etc may help with leads.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
This is accurate. My husband was hired in November to start in February.

OP: Have you hired a headhunter at all?

Dawn
Do I need to pay them, and can't it hurt your chances of getting a job?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM

No, you don't pay them, the company does. Or that is the way it works in most cases. My husband got one when we were looking to move here (well, actually we were trying to move to Raleigh from Los Angeles), but the company he works for had an office in Raleigh and they said he was better suited for the Charlotte office, which is how we wound up here.

ANyway, we didn't pay the headhunter, the firm did after he got the job.

Why would it hurt your chances? I don't know that much about headhunters. My husband got a job right out of grad school, but after 8 years of working in LA, he wanted to move and the easiest way to find jobs and get connected was a headhunter.

Now, that was also 6 years ago so I can't tell you what it is like now.

Dawn

Quote:
Do I need to pay them, and can't it hurt your chances of getting a job?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM

398 posts, read 983,753 times
Lots of unknown intangibles for anyone here to accurately tell you what your chances are at landing a job.

If you graduated from a good university with a good GPA and have the right (good) attitude, I think a lot of companies will hire you. Yes, I work for a major bank in Charlotte and we hire graduates straight out of school from some of the universities in this area.

If being patient and confident at going at it alone isn't one of your virtues, contact a head hunter and they'll help market you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte