U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times

Advertisements

I'm not ruling it out. If you're looking for something family friendly I also recommend the Whitewater center. I went last year, it was very calm and one of the best displays I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM

2,870 posts, read 1,657,655 times
Uptown events have mostly fallen apart over the past few years. They used to be family friendly, but they're just plain unfriendly. It's a shame really, because I have some great memories from 4th of July and New Year's watching fireworks next to the skyscrapers with the family.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM

69 posts, read 163,508 times
WE stopped going to 4th of July, First Night, Restaurants, Plays, etc. UPTOWN a couple of years ago when it became apparent to us that subhuman debris has been allowed to take over the city. I know a lot of people that avoid UPTOWN, and other areas of the city/county. 10-15 years ago this city was beautiful, safe, and fun. Not any more. Garbage has taken over, and can't be addressed or done away with, due to the color of the containers.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:12 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,717,267 times
Methinks it would be foolish to even have an uptown July 4th deal, much less attend. Certain types of people have ruined it for everyone else. Please not, I am not specifying race, creed, color or anything, it does not matter, but uncivilized acts by large groups have occurred and I am certain will continue to occur.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM

2,352 posts, read 4,026,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrusselsSprouts View Post
WE stopped going to 4th of July, First Night, Restaurants, Plays, etc. UPTOWN a couple of years ago when it became apparent to us that subhuman debris has been allowed to take over the city. I know a lot of people that avoid UPTOWN, and other areas of the city/county. 10-15 years ago this city was beautiful, safe, and fun. Not any more. Garbage has taken over, and can't be addressed or done away with, due to the color of the containers.
Um, what? I'm uptown a good bit - restaurants, festivals, concerts, etc. - and do not see any area that's been "taken over" by garbage. Maybe the folks you know that avoid uptown should try it out; despite the horrid events of this weekend, downtown is usually fine, and thriving.

It's when misconceptions like yours abound that decent people will stop going - for no good reason, but based on unfounded fears! - and the thugs WILL take over. Yay, let's make downtown Charlotte dead again, and all the white folks will hide in their ticky-tacky houses in the suburbs, quaking in fear.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM

3,749 posts, read 3,267,604 times
From my expedience, Most Nightly Events are thriving with thugs throughout the Transit Center.

On 4th of July thugs thrive Near MLK Blvd. in 3rd Ward, Transit Center, 3rd Street 2nd Ward, & Trade Street 1st Ward.

First Night, is perfectly fine. We had the largest First Night Crowd I believe ever for 2011 and from what I remember, it was very peaceful. Everyone was happy and everyone got along. Very very nice in 2011. I don't suggest anyone avoid First Night! First Night is awesome!

Quote:
First Night Charlotte, presented by WBTV, takes place on New Year’s Eve from 3pm-midnight with First Night Kids from 3-7pm at kid-friendly venues and an evening programming that runs from 8-11:30pm at various venues with the countdown to midnight from 11-12:30am at the main stage located at Levine Avenue of the Arts street. With over 75,000 attendees, First Night Charlotte has grown into one of the biggest and best known events in the Southeast to visit for New Year’s Eve.
“We are very pleased that First Night Charlotte was selected to be highlighted by the Southeast Tourism Society and Top Events USA,” said Robert Krumbine, Chief Creative Officer of Charlotte Center City Partners. “It gives our event additional exposure to encourage visitors to make Charlotte a destination as they plan their New Year’s Eve celebration in Center City Charlotte”

Just like last year, the safe, affordable, family-friendly and entertaining option for New Year’s Eve will unquestionably be a family favorite. For more information, visit www.firstnightcharlotte.com.

First Night Charlotte Chosen as Top Event - Charlotte Center City Partners
Charlotte is a major city and people need to be alert and learn areas to avoid and get some street smarts. There is no need to avoid Taste of Charlotte, First Night, Red White & Boom, Speed Street, etc. Have someone with you, Park at 485 Lynx Station (Police there) and get off at the transit center (police there) and just stick to near where law enforcement are and stick to a group of well mannered People and families. (I'm not an Uppity Town person neither. I live out in the sticks in Lincoln/Cleveland Counties and if I ever lived in Charlotte, it'd be in Myers Park only. But I love Visiting Charlotte very often)

Fireworks at the White Water Center sounds amazing! Fireworks at Carowinds used to be "traditional" for my family to attend, but I been sticking to Uptown for the last years.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,436,080 times
Nope. We generally light off our own.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,034 times
Oh my, this is unfortunate. I am not into watching or fending off thugs or human garbage on the 4th, looks like I will scratch this idea and venture off somewhere else that is safe.
Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,643,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Um, what? I'm uptown a good bit - restaurants, festivals, concerts, etc. - and do not see any area that's been "taken over" by garbage. Maybe the folks you know that avoid uptown should try it out; despite the horrid events of this weekend, downtown is usually fine, and thriving.

It's when misconceptions like yours abound that decent people will stop going - for no good reason, but based on unfounded fears! - and the thugs WILL take over. Yay, let's make downtown Charlotte dead again, and all the white folks will hide in their ticky-tacky houses in the suburbs, quaking in fear.
Agreed, it is inaccurate to say it has been taken over by "garbage". I have heard that Uptown is one of the safest areas of the city. The last incident like what happened on Saturday was in five years ago. I spend a lot of time Uptown (at night) and it is clean, fun and mostly safe. There are many decent, law abiding citizens out and about and businesses are thriving. First hand knowledge is always better than hearsay.

As for fireworks the WBT Skyshow used to be my favorite. It has moved from Uptown to the Knights Stadium in Fort Mill so I'll mention that option as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,034 times
The majority of the responses here says things differently. It appears that gang bangers, thugs, and alike are attracted to major events downtown. Are they really into NASCAR Racing or Celebrating our Independence Day? Can't figure this out, but I will stay very away from Charlotte
on the 4th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or