Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why do you think it will?

My opinion . . . same as yours, lol.
We get it. You'd rather the jobs had gone to South Carolina. I don't know what kind of business owner you are, but I'm sure there are several small business owners out in Balyntyne who are very happy about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM

84 posts, read 194,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is not about me. I am not unemployed. I have my own business(es).

My point is . . . regardless of the taxes someone may pay who moves here, and the domino effect their discretionary income will do for retail, etc. . . the facts are: we have thousands of folks LIVING HERE NOW (and who cares how long they have lived here!) who NEED A JOB. Many of those people are using up other state resources, from Medicaid to unemployment compensation - plus are losing their standard of living as each month goes by (pressing some into foreclosure, state and local assistance, and bankruptcy).

Better to get the people HERE NOW back to work so they can pay their rent, their mortgages, their taxes - and give up foodstamps, Medicaid, subsidized housing, etc.
Well what do you propose, in that case? You seem opposed to using incentives for such a company.

Would you rather use incentives for a factory that will probably leave in 5 years to China? Tax dollars to employ people (government jobs) for pet projects?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
We get it. You'd rather the jobs had gone to South Carolina. I don't know what kind of business owner you are, but I'm sure there are several small business owners out in Balyntyne who are very happy about this.
Geeeez, Blue. Why get so personal????

All the whoopla about JOB CREATION FOR CHARLOTTE RESIDENTS is what I am poo-pooing. The Governor's office is trying to make this into a JOB CREATION celebration and my point is . . . jobs for whom???? Bev has made all these promises (and more than a few concessions!!!) about getting folks back to work . . . and I am simply stating . . . the folks who are expecting her to deliver on that promise LIVE HERE - and are still waiting.

I know I haven't posted here much in the last year, but for the previous four or so years, I have been a strong proponent of small business development (especially) in this region - can't believe you have forgotten that.

I am just not holding my breath that this is gonna provide jobs for Charlotte residents. I am not saying it isn't a worthwhile venture, nor am I saying it is not a worthwhile endeavor for the university.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickazzz2000 View Post
Well what do you propose, in that case? You seem opposed to using incentives for such a company.

Would you rather use incentives for a factory that will probably leave in 5 years to China? Tax dollars to employ people (government jobs) for pet projects?
Talk about assumptions!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
The money the state is giving this company is 60% of their estimated income tax collection from the new jobs. So the state is still up the other 40% making this deal a net positive. If they company does not live up to its promise, the state built clawback provisions into the grant allowing them to get the money back.

Not to mention the company will be building here and investing $4 million which will support construction related jobs in the short term.

*The bigger news is that this is just one more energy company who has decided to call Charlotte home which adds another important piece to the goal of becoming the energy hub of America.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
The money the state is giving this company is 60% of their estimated income tax collection from the new jobs. So the state is still up the other 40% making this deal a net positive. If they company does not live up to its promise, the state built clawback provisions into the grant allowing them to get the money back.

Not to mention the company will be building here and investing $4 million which will support construction related jobs in the short term.

*The bigger news is that this is just one more energy company who has decided to call Charlotte home which adds another important piece to the goal of becoming the energy hub of America.
Good points. I think it will be a good venture for the area: i just don't believe 135 folks living in Charlotte will get jobs there.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
I agree with that. Better than zero new jobs though right?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
Actually they don't care about Charlotte at all. It should be clear enough they were willing to go where ever there was the biggest handout. These things never panout BTW. I cited two examples above that were complete fails, but there are plenty others. Where was Beverly Purdue last week when IBM was laying off people all over NC including here in Charlotte? And last March and last Nov. etc etc. I bring her up because she was taking credit for an earlier state incentives given to them to bring jobs to NC.

There isn't one person yet who has responded, with some proof, that these taxpayer funded handouts do anything beyond lining the CEO and executive staff's pockets with money. (the ones who come up with these schemes)

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM

277 posts, read 661,205 times
It would be interesting if one of the news organizations reporting these energy related job announcements would take the time and do some follow up investigations, and report on how many jobs were actually created.

My personal opinion is that the actual results are less than promised. If you dig a bit deeper into some of the announcements made by Toshiba, Westinghouse, Siemens, Shaw, ect over the last 4 years, you will see inconsistencies in the numbers.

I contacted reporters at the Observer and Business Journal, requesting clarifications and follow-ups, but never received any responses.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
I was just at the announcement at UNC Charlotte. Although its only 135 jobs, they are high paying and the governor hinted and bigger and better things to come with this partnership.

Kudos to our city, county, and state officials for this addition to Charlotte (they are moving from SC):

Mitsubishi Nuclear to add 135 jobs in Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/31/2339896/mitsubishi-nuclear-to-add-135.html - broken link)
Great thread. I am gonna post the link to the thread I started with Charlotte and its emerging Energy Hub. Things are really picking up steam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte