Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times

Advertisements

Having seen many people on this site blog about relocating and how much would they expect--my mouth is shut. Today, I cursed under my breath about not getting a bonus, X-mas party and a limited cola increase. We are never thankful for what we make. Just browsed the the nursing salary blog and I am amazed at what Charlotte pays. I have a simple desk job and my salary is on the high side. From this day forward, I will keep my darn mouth shut and do my job without complaint. I do not want to hit the pavement looking for a job at a lower pay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Having seen many people on this site blog about relocating and how much would they expect--my mouth is shut. Today, I cursed under my breath about not getting a bonus, X-mas party and a limited cola increase. We are never thankful for what we make. Just browsed the the nursing salary blog and I am amazed at what Charlotte pays. I have a simple desk job and my salary is on the high side. From this day forward, I will keep my darn mouth shut and do my job without complaint. I do not want to hit the pavement looking for a job at a lower pay.

Gratitude is the right attitude

(Good for you!)

Old 10-31-2008, 04:05 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,443 times
40% pay cut to move from Miami market to Charlotte market. Same job, same Company. BUT----glad to have a job!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:21 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,485 times
Yup. We are hearing few if any bonuses, maybe no or minimal raise next year. Maybe we keep our paid parking for awhile longer. But I work for a firm with NO long or short term debt taking a cost cutting approach across the board, so the prospect of layoffs will be as remote as possible. I too look at what $$ are offered in the marketplace and am grateful for what I earn. We're not rich but we'll keep a roof over our heads and heat and groceries!

Perhaps this stretch of "bad times" could be good for America, if it means we all decide to work together as they did during WWII and other hard times?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,120 times
I totally agree. With layoffs in my field, I am very lucky to have a job and a paycheck. As the sole breadwinner, I don't know what I would do if I was out of work!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:

Real nurses aren't in it for the money, so dont feel bad for us. Granted, I'd love to make more than I do, and yes, I certainly feel I'm worth more, but I also didnt get in to the profession expecting to get rich. The one thing we have over most everyone else is job security! Cant really put a value on that...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
Not only thankful for having a job, but also a home, car, food on the table and healthy family. Until times get rough, people do take forgranted what they really have. That being said, my eyes have really opened up within the past year. My move actually was for the best.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:57 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
I have to agree! I'm still making less than I made at my 20+ year job with a blue chip company, but I am much happier in my current line of work and we get by okay with the household salary we make now (two of us working instead of just me).

While being laid off back in 01' was just devastating at the time (especially with 9/11 and the resulting economic issues), we've since relocated twice for work and those moves brought us to wonderful places to live (nice areas, new houses, things to explore and see, etc).

So, all in all, the experience was about as good as a setback could be. Now, i just want to keep what we have without any more "retrenchment".

Last edited by Stripes17; 10-31-2008 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: omission

Old 10-31-2008, 04:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Real nurses aren't in it for the money, so dont feel bad for us. Granted, I'd love to make more than I do, and yes, I certainly feel I'm worth more, but I also didnt get in to the profession expecting to get rich. The one thing we have over most everyone else is job security! Cant really put a value on that...
You ae cetainly right with nurses having job security. I haven't had job security in 13 years. I seen the high's and low's of the real estate industry. Right now it's on the depressing side.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:

If you're saying that you're overpaid relative to the value you create then you may be hitting the pavement sooner than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte