U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I live in Broward County and I am not interested in locating to Charlotte because I enjoy south Flor
You are wearing rose colored glasses down there 3 10.34%
You must be extremely wealthy and materialistic 3 10.34%
You must be really sensitive to weather that is not anything less than tropical 2 6.90%
You like rude people, constant dead traffic,people that don't speak English, and crowds. 7 24.14%
Nothing, it's almost accpetable down here, especially if you bought before the bubble 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,756,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Rational . You made good points. It's just that I visited Charlotte several times for various reasons and I was never impressed...Personally, I wouldn't want to raise my kids in the public schools in either place, unless we see some serious curriculum reform. The only public school system I would raise children in the Southeast would probably be the Wake County district. I would almost rather raise kids here because they NEED to see reality, and they need to see that people are people, and I could raise my kids colorblind here. Can't do that in Charlotte. Don't see this "material values" either thing that isn't present in Charlotte, Atlanta, or any other city with a good public school district. Thats besides the point that I'm raising my children, not my city. Yeah, I wouldn't want to raise my kids around that Palm Beach County materialism, but hey, thats just my opinion. But what you DID reassure was that there IS something wrong with me for liking it better down here...

PS, we broke a record high today down here. This isn't normal. What part of Broward did you live?

You've made some points that don't seem to flow into an overall point. Charlotte isn't reality, you wouldn't raise children in the southeast (although you live in FL), and the "materials values" thing. So I'm going to ask for clarification before I make some assumptions on what your saying (and I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to communicate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,749,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
You've made some points that don't seem to flow into an overall point. Charlotte isn't reality, you wouldn't raise children in the southeast (although you live in FL), and the "materials values" thing. So I'm going to ask for clarification before I make some assumptions on what your saying (and I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to communicate).
Yeah, that post was kind of a rushed jumble.

What I am trying to say is that many families move down here to Florida (Without picking the right area), complain about how there are no "family values" and only "material values", and move to NC/GA/TN, and expect people to have "family values". I encounter the same type of "material" attitude in similar amounts in Charlotte, ATL, and every other major city in the country, but for some reason, the grass is greener on the other side to Floridians for reasons other than affordability.

About raising my kids in the schools in the Southeast (or anywhere), I would send my kids to private schools. I don't like the whole "no child left behind act" thing, and I feel students, particularly on the high school level, are not given an advantage in the way they were taught due to a curriculum that is based on standardized testing, and an outdated curriculum otherwise. The main reason I say Southeast in particular is because the schools tend to be more crowded than other regions and receive less per-pupil funding.

I'm not saying that Charlotte isn't "Reality", but that this country is changing demographically, and yes, South Florida is at the cutting edge of these changes. I have found in other parts of the country, they precieve this change as negative. And in certain ways, maybe it is. When you live here, and live in an area where so many different types of people have assimilated into American culture, you realize it's not so bad. Also, there are a lot more illegals in Charlotte. Broward immigrants tend to have their papers...

I think Charlotte is a fantastic city, with a good economy, clean downtown, and opportunities for everyone. These are MAJOR weak spots in South Florida. My main objection is just the attitude of some of the recent arrivals (and some of the perspective residents of Charlotte down here). I like Charlotte, but it seems an attitude is portrayed like I'm supposed to hate South Florida and dump my problems on Charlotte (or other growing southern cities)

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-05-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,627,778 times
Quote:
According to these forums, I am supposed to think that South Florida is hell, and if I don't think so, then I am either wearing rose colored glasses, or very very rich. I am supposed to assume that moving to a place with a lower cost of living is mutually exclusive to higher quality of life, nicer people, better schools, and cleaner air. However, based on my experiences on traveling throughout the country and into Charlotte, I actually like it when I get home in Broward County, Florida. Now, do NOT get me wrong, Charlotte is a VERY nice city with a cool downtown, aforementioned friendly people, and a booming economy. So,if I am doing well for myself in Florida, what's wrong with me for not wanting to do better somewhere else? I mean, a few years back, I HAD the choice of locating in virtually any major city, Charlotte was an option, and I picked Fort Lauderdale area. What's wrong?

I don't think anything is wrong with you, some people have no desire to relocate anywhere else when they are enjoying where they live. Why do you think you think you want to relocate?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I don't think anything is wrong with you, some people have no desire to relocate anywhere else when they are enjoying where they live. Why do you think you think you want to relocate?
If you would read the Florida forum, you might understand a little more. You see, there is an attitude down here in FL that we are supposed to be wearing rose colored glasses if we visit Charlotte (or eastern Tennessee or Atlanta) and not think it's a superior place to Broward County, even if we bought before it was expensive. It's just that I have seen a lot of the country, and like what I see when I get home. When I do research to try and uncover its suck-ness,it reassures me that I actually live in a very nice area by any standard. It's like people think I have something, well, wrong with me!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 AM

8 posts, read 4,461 times
Please understand that many of the posts saying FL is bad and NC, GA, TN are utopia, are real estate agents from those places. The market is starting to decline in the mid south and they aren't going down without a fight. The locals here aren't buying due to the price increases so they target the easiest sell, equity bandits from FL and the rust belt. They use the same fear and inferiority tactics as any sales person.

Seems they all happen to know that Charlotte or Atlanta or Johnson City (where ever that is), is the best place in the world to live.

Did I ever tell you about the best car ever? Yep, its half Yugo, half Edsel, half Pacer, and half Pinto. She's a real gem! Very sought after. All the folk from Florida are coming in and buying them up. Only an idiot would buy something else. Oh by the way I happen to have one for sale.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,155,502 times
You know what I find interesting?

If you go to other states on this board you will find that almost everywhere has a lot of folks saying how bad their area is and how they just can't wait to leave, etc....

I am not sure most people are every happy or satisfied.

I wouldn't worry about what others think myself. If you like it there, you like it there.

I am weird, I like living in Los Angeles. DH doesn't. So, we are here.

Dawn

Old 08-06-2007, 07:02 AM

673 posts, read 2,435,357 times
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't want to raise my kids in the public schools in either place, unless we see some serious curriculum reform.

I am a teacher, and I believed Broward County was on the cutting edge of a lot of things. Depsite that, test scores are low. They have improved over the years, but overall still low. I researched school systems before moving. Union County has been recognized for the schools (not all of them though). The difference in test scores for the schools my kids went to in FL compared to the ones they are at now screamed volumes. I have one child in elementary and one in middle school. Both say the curriculum is more challenging in NC than in FL.

But what you DID reassure was that there IS something wrong with me for liking it better down here...

I never said anything was wrong with you for liking it better down here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you like it better in FL, than so be it.

PS, we broke a record high today down here. This isn't normal. What part of Broward did you live?
Pembroke Pines

Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Pembroke Pines
Yeah, I understand Charlotte for you. I wouldn't want raise my kids in the Pines (too close to Miami, crummy schools, expensive) or spend a million dollars to move up to Cooper City or Davie. It all depends on where you settle the first time I guess...

Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 AM

Unbelievable! I post a similar question to this in the Tennessee forum,and mention that I realized I posted this in the NC and FL forum and just wanted to hear the opinions of there, and the mods delete it for "duplicate posts" and "trying to stir things up". Isn't stimulating discussion supposed to "stir things up"?I think you are on to something .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
You know what I find interesting?

If you go to other states on this board you will find that almost everywhere has a lot of folks saying how bad their area is and how they just can't wait to leave, etc....

I am not sure most people are every happy or satisfied.

I wouldn't worry about what others think myself. If you like it there, you like it there.

I am weird, I like living in Los Angeles. DH doesn't. So, we are here.

Dawn

Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM

157 posts, read 482,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy222 View Post
Thank goodness EVERYONE doesn't want to move to one area! -different places for different people. I've heard good & bad things about South Florida just like I have about everywhere else. I live in Detroit Metro Area Michigan & although I dislike it to the umph degree there are many people here that LOVE it & would never consider leaving.
One person's heaven is another's hell. If someone is bashing some place as if everyone should agree, their not open-minded enough to pay any attention to anyway.
I agree with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or