U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I live in Broward County and I am not interested in locating to Charlotte because I enjoy south Flor
You are wearing rose colored glasses down there 3 10.34%
You must be extremely wealthy and materialistic 3 10.34%
You must be really sensitive to weather that is not anything less than tropical 2 6.90%
You like rude people, constant dead traffic,people that don't speak English, and crowds. 7 24.14%
Nothing, it's almost accpetable down here, especially if you bought before the bubble 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,747,875 times

Advertisements

According to these forums, I am supposed to think that South Florida is hell, and if I don't think so, then I am either wearing rose colored glasses, or very very rich. I am supposed to assume that moving to a place with a lower cost of living is mutually exclusive to higher quality of life, nicer people, better schools, and cleaner air. However, based on my experiences on traveling throughout the country and into Charlotte, I actually like it when I get home in Broward County, Florida. Now, do NOT get me wrong, Charlotte is a VERY nice city with a cool downtown, aforementioned friendly people, and a booming economy. So,if I am doing well for myself in Florida, what's wrong with me for not wanting to do better somewhere else? I mean, a few years back, I HAD the choice of locating in virtually any major city, Charlotte was an option, and I picked Fort Lauderdale area. What's wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,755,540 times
Hmm, could it be your happy where you are right now? Also it could be you don't seem to let the motives of others determine your actions?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm, could it be your happy where you are right now? Also it could be you don't seem to let the motives of others determine your actions?
Very realistic answer. I was really wondering if it was just me after reading some of these forums...I typically like what I see down here, but was wondering if I'm not supposed to. Don't get me wrong, Charlotte is a great city with an inventive economy (Which is something we unfortunately lack down here), but I was just curious to see if Charlotte is mutually exclusive with "Quality of life".

Old 08-05-2007, 09:13 AM

392 posts, read 296,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
According to these forums, I am supposed to think that South Florida is hell, and if I don't think so, then I am either wearing rose colored glasses, or very very rich. I am supposed to assume that moving to a place with a lower cost of living is mutually exclusive to higher quality of life, nicer people, better schools, and cleaner air. However, based on my experiences on traveling throughout the country and into Charlotte, I actually like it when I get home in Broward County, Florida. Now, do NOT get me wrong, Charlotte is a VERY nice city with a cool downtown, aforementioned friendly people, and a booming economy. So,if I am doing well for myself in Florida, what's wrong with me for not wanting to do better somewhere else? I mean, a few years back, I HAD the choice of locating in virtually any major city, Charlotte was an option, and I picked Fort Lauderdale area. What's wrong?
There is an aire of suspicion that one in present company is sans children.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
There is an aire of suspicion that one in present company is sans children.
Who said that? Maybe I want my children to be raised in a colorblind lifestyle, which is something that I can do easily down here and can't just anywhere in the country. Maybe I would want to raise my children, not the city we live in. The poverty rate for Whites vs. other ethnic groups in Broward County is stunning equal and low. Now, I DON'T have children, but I did go through the high school system down here. It was considered a "good" district in the area, and personally, it was safe,not overly materialistic, the staff was caring and put a push on collegiate academics,and, well, it was as decent as anywhere. Also, realize we purchased before the bubble.Even if I had no children, isn't Atlanta or ANY other American city supposed to be far superior to where I am? Just my perspective.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 AM

392 posts, read 296,369 times
Quote:
Who said that? Maybe I want my children to be raised in a colorblind lifestyle, which is something that I can do easily down here and can't virtually anywhere else in the country. The poverty rate for Whites vs. other ethnic groups in Broward County is stunning equal; low. Also, realize we purchased before the bubble.
Did the hit dog howl? The best bet for a colorblind lifestyle is raising children 3rd culture (google it). Broward might come close, and I enjoy Broward too.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Did the hit dog howl? The best bet for a colorblind lifestyle is raising children 3rd culture (google it). Broward might come close, and I enjoy Broward too.
I updated my post above. Very interesting about the 3rd culture.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:52 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,193,720 times
Quote:
Ft. Lauderdale:
My husband and I recently moved to the Triad area from Ft. Lauderdale. We didn't come because "everyone else is." It was simply a lifestyle choice. You are not crazy for wanting to stay where you are and the people that want to move are not crazy. That is as long as they do it for the right reasons and think it through.

And a consolation for me is that my son and daughter-in-law still live there so I will be visiting frequently. It is still a great place-my home for 37 years.

So don't believe everything you read. You're sane. At least as far as moving goes.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 AM

39 posts, read 139,401 times
Thank goodness EVERYONE doesn't want to move to one area! -different places for different people. I've heard good & bad things about South Florida just like I have about everywhere else. I live in Detroit Metro Area Michigan & although I dislike it to the umph degree there are many people here that LOVE it & would never consider leaving.
One person's heaven is another's hell. If someone is bashing some place as if everyone should agree, their not open-minded enough to pay any attention to anyway.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,907 times
So you don't want to move to Charlotte. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or