U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 AM

841 posts, read 2,142,495 times

Advertisements

OMG...I found 1 cockroach in my garbage can this weekend!! Once I saw that I went on a super, scrubbing, disinfecting cleaning spree! I haven't seen anymore since my cleaning spree, but I have a HUGE, SERIOUS issue with roaches!! I took a flashlight and checked every single dark spot, corners, behind fridge, stove, inside/outside cabinets...everywhere...and did not see anymore. I am hoping it was just 1...but just in case, I would like to do something about it.

So my question is...is there a difference between contracting an exterminator and buying that stuff at Lowe's that gets sprayed around the house? I've never seen a bug in my house besides that stupid roach...so should I still spray the bug poison around? Living in NYC...exterminators usually brought more bugs than getting rid of them...so I am very nervous to use an exterminator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,169,176 times
There is a user on the forum here called buguy. He is an exterminator and is very honest and will tell you how to proceed. I will send him a note to see if he can comment on this.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,734,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
He is an exterminator and is very honest and will tell you how to proceed.
This is like asking the barber if you need a haircut. Can you guess the answer?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,169,176 times
LOL

The reason why I suggested she ask him is that he actually told me I did NOT need an exterminator as frequently as I had been using one so that is why I think he is honest.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,604,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
LOL

The reason why I suggested she ask him is that he actually told me I did NOT need an exterminator as frequently as I had been using one so that is why I think he is honest.

He has also done something similar with us. He's a good guy and very honest and is not in the business of having customers spend money unnecessarily.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,333,399 times
Where there is one roach, there are many. Think about that.

hee hee

I believe that no matter what you do, you will find the occasional bug in your home. I've had every native bug in my home you can think of. My home is almost 30 years old, and is a never ending process of finding and filling holes, so unfortunately bugs usually have a way in. Two years ago I started using the Ortho Max Home Defense, and after a few months, I see almost no bugs inside. I apply it twice as heavy and twice as often as suggested, so basically I spend less than $14 and two hours a year on bug control. Now I pour it into a garden sprayer rather than use the spray bottle it comes in. This saves some time and gives a more even application. It also lets me spray the roof outside of the upstairs windows to keep ants off the bird feeders!

bugguy does give some good info on this forum, and I'm interested to see his comments.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,877,935 times
I actually use both, I use the Ortho and once a year or every 2 years depending on when I remember I have bugguy come out and spray and check everything as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the comments!...I still feel itchy..and I keep seeing that roach over and over in my head!! Hopefully Bugguy will comment on this...I might send him a PM also.

I do agree with where there's 1 roach..there's many..that's why I took the flashlight and checked everywhere! But I don't want to take any chances...if there's more hiding somewhere, I want to take care of it now before it becomes a problem. I have too many horrible experiences with roaches in NY!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM

716 posts, read 1,359,870 times
Samana check your house for cockroaches sometime during the night. I remember when I first moved here I got a corporate apartment for a month and I did a quick check for insects when I first stepped in and didn't see anything but the nighttime was a completely different story. The place was filled with them Palmetto cockroaches during the night I remember grabbing a flashlight at 2am and they were literally everywhere I had them in the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, under my bed, etc.... These things were HUGE too.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Samana check your house for cockroaches sometime during the night. I remember when I first moved here I got a corporate apartment for a month and I did a quick check for insects when I first stepped in and didn't see anything but the nighttime was a completely different story. The place was filled with them Palmetto cockroaches during the night I remember grabbing a flashlight at 2am and they were literally everywhere I had them in the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, under my bed, etc.... These things were HUGE too.
It's funny because I've thought about doing this...but too afraid to find something I don't want to find! I have insectphobia...but maybe I might get the husband to take a look tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte