Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 56,140 times

Advertisements

Are there any shooting ranges in/around Charlotte for beginners? I am not a gun owner but would like to go to a shooting range as I could potentially be a gun owner in the future. It is my understanding that a lot of these ranges are very unfriendly towards beginners and possibly even prohibit them from coming in the door. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
I would recommend Firepower in Matthews. They have great patience with newbies.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I would recommend Firepower in Matthews. They have great patience with newbies.

I second this recommendation

Old 05-31-2011, 03:47 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I second this recommendation
When I have time, this is where I go also. 'Course, I live five minutes from it. They're as good as any other range I've been to for my limited needs. Tell them you're a newbie, and pay attention to what they say. This isn't about learning to throw a baseball, this is potentially life and death stuff.

As far as not accepting newbies, I've never heard that for any range. Here's your first three steps of gun use.

1. ALWAYS handle a gun as if it's loaded. NEVER point it at another person unless your intent is to shoot them.

2. How do you know if a gun is loaded? IT'S ALWAYS LOADED!!!!

3. Refer to step #1.

Do this and no one gets hurt.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM

373 posts, read 778,268 times
Check this link out: http://www.handgunforum.net/north-carolina/15306-nc-shooting-ranges.html

I would suggest Shooters Express
www.shootersexpress.com/indoorrange.htm (http://www.shootersexpress.com/indoorrange.htm - broken link)
2 Caldwell Drive
Belmont, NC 28120 (Gaston County)
Mon-Sat 10-9, Sun 1-6
1-800-358-GUNS
Right off I-85 Exit 27

They have very friendly staff and will be glad to give you some pointers on shooting and gun safety.
They have a lot of guns to rent in every caliber.
They have 10 shooting bays and 5 rifle bays.
Good place to go for a new shooter.

Good luck, stay safe.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,516 times
As a newbie 10 years ago, my wife went to Firepower in Matthews, just off Monroe Road. They are very helpful and have lots of handguns to rent so people can get the feel for a new purchase before they put down their money. They have a good range that was upgraded and expanded a couple of years ago. Prices for firearms are competitive compared to other gun stores in the Charlotte area. If a woman is making a purchase or wants more information, I would recommend talk with Ann, since a woman might feel more comfortable with another woman, especially if they don't know much about guns. I have also heard good things about Shooters Edge in Belmont, but since Firepower is 5 minutes from our home, that's where we shop and shoot and they are good people.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,549 times
Firepower has a "Basic Handgun Training Coarse". This course is designed to introduce those interested in taking up shooting for the first time. Stop by Firepower or call and ask them about it. I highly recommend some sought of training for new shooters.

Good Luck.

***Keep your booger hooker off the trigger, until you're ready to fire.***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte