U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,253,264 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted copper gutters and am sooooooo glad I didn't spend the money for them . . .

WCNC.com | Charlotte Videos, Breaking News | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, North Carolina
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM

4,581 posts, read 6,107,709 times
If it isn't nailed down or painted on, it can get gone. And being nailed down is no gurantee.

Copper theft is, and has been, a huge problem. Copper at high prices and people out of work, or using it as an excuse ot be a criminal, have created quite the beast. Good luck slowing the thefts down.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If it isn't nailed down or painted on, it can get gone. And being nailed down is no gurantee.

Copper theft is, and has been, a huge problem. Copper at high prices and people out of work, or using it as an excuse ot be a criminal, have created quite the beast. Good luck slowing the thefts down.
Seems to me this should be easy enuff to track down . . . the thugs doing this have to sell the products and are likely gonna be heading to scrapyards within 60 miles or so.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM

359 posts, read 486,459 times
Prove it was your copper?

Case
set
match

No warrants
No chance

You can only track down unique items or those with serial #'s

By the way it isn't thugs doing this. It's the homeless and poor.

Just drive along N. Tryon St. around the 2400 block and take a look at Global Recycling. Make sure to go during business hours. It is crazy

Must vulnerable places? vacant homes and apartment complexes with vacant units. AC & plumbing are hit hard

Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Prove it was your copper?

Case
set
match

No warrants
No chance

You can only track down unique items or those with serial #'s

By the way it isn't thugs doing this. It's the homeless and poor.

Just drive along N. Tryon St. around the 2400 block and take a look at Global Recycling. Make sure to go during business hours. It is crazy

Must vulnerable places? vacant homes and apartment complexes with vacant units. AC & plumbing are hit hard
LOL. Okay, I realize now that what I said sounded as tho I meant someone could be caught red-handed and indicted on the spot.

That is not what I meant.

Scrapyards keep records. Seems like LE could keep an eye on who is doing an exceptional volume selling copper - and work backwards. If insurance companies are losing a lot of money to these miscreants, seems they would do their own investigating.

This could at least give LE some leads as to possible thieves.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM

We know who they are, well...most, but honestly it doesn't even matter unless you can get some evidence which amounts to a home run to our DA's.

That's why it is of paramount importance that citizens call police for suspicious activity!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
We know who they are, well...most, but honestly it doesn't even matter unless you can get some evidence which amounts to a home run to our DA's.

That's why it is of paramount importance that citizens call police for suspicious activity!
Agree - which is why I posted the story. I hope folks in that particular area will be observant - and I hope others will be aware that just b/c it is that area being hit now - it could be a different area tomorrow.

I remember over 20 years ago . . . there was a case I was aware of that involved crewmembers of a subcontractor who had worked on houses in a particular area. They were coming back and ripping off the sites where they had worked! Hard to believe (and stupid) but true.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:51 PM

If only a world without fraud and deception were a reality...

Might as well not even dream about the impossible!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
If only a world without fraud and deception were a reality...

Might as well not even dream about the impossible!
If it were to happen . . .

1. white collar crime would be nearly non-existent as most of it involves fraud

2. news outlets would have little to report

3. no salacious stories such as what we are seeing with John Edwards today

4. Defense attorneys would have less work

5. DAs would have a manageable caseload, lol

6. IRS investigative staff would be reduced by a stunning percentage!

7. Forensic accountants? what's that?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM

403 posts, read 745,246 times
Several years ago the building in front of our business had been on the market for quite awhile (S. Blvd.), and one day while we were quite busy...one of two guys who were in a souped up black pickup truck...came in and asked...who he could call to look at the building. Something didn't seem right when we were talking to him....the guy looked like he was on steroids...in his "trying to be hip" sunglasses (probably didn't want us to see the bloodshot whites of his eyes)....and was trying to sound like he was interested in the building. Sure he was......because the next night the AC copper had been stripped from the two units that were there....I guess easy pickings for these maggots of society. I wish that we had followed our suspicions, and at least taken down the license plate number. Maybe it would have helped to stop some of this kind of theft...as I feel that if they haven't been caught by now...they probably are the ring leaders of several groups!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte