U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times

Advertisements

I have a 15 year old son who is still a very unadventurous eater. Whenever we go out to eat he usually gets some kind of pasta with chicken. No vegetables, no "unusual" seasonings. His typical order would be something like chicken fettuccine alfredo. He doesn't like vegetables, pork or seafood. I really want him to experience some new things but know he won't be open to anything that is too stark of a contrast to his usuals. I, also, was a very picky eater up until I was about 30 years old!! So, I know where he's coming from. I have just started exploring new things, from a culinary perspective, in the past few years. I have tried to translate the excitement I experience discovering new things to him but he is very set in his ways and afraid of new things in this regard. I know this is quite a tall order but I am trying to find places I can take him where there will be things he would eat but that might be a little different than what he is used to. Something exciting and new but not threatening or scary for him. I'm looking for something other than just a typical steak, chicken or burger but, at the same time, similar.
Anybody??????????

Oh, and preferably in or around uptown Charlotte.

Last edited by jayndoe7; 06-03-2011 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: added location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,450,620 times
Big Ben's British pub?
I suggest that because British food is traditionally more meat 'n' potato based (which to some people equates to bland) but there might be an opportunity to get him something different - like shepherd's pie - without going over-board.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,734,448 times
I suggest Fran's Filling Station in Dilworth. They have comfort food we are all familiar with but often with a little twist. Also they were recently voted best fries in Charlotte.
Fran's Filling Station

Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,734,448 times
By the way, my kids are the same way. I have found it has helped over the years to encourage a taste of my plate when we go out (I try to get more exotic things). Often they do not like it, even then I tell them I'm very happy they tried it!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,119,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
By the way, my kids are the same way. I have found it has helped over the years to encourage a taste of my plate when we go out (I try to get more exotic things). Often they do not like it, even then I tell them I'm very happy they tried it!
Ooo, I like that idea! I think that translates perfectly with what, I'm assuming, goes on at home w/picky eaters as well. Restaurants are hard for picky eaters, and I imagine a trip out to eat can be a source of stress for picky kids (and their parents). This sounds like a great way to expose them to new foods while still allowing them their comfort. Filing this away for later!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

398 posts, read 752,673 times
What kind of food does your son get at home? Does that influence why he's so picky?

I grew up in an environment where my parents would cook a number of different cuisines through the week and I grew accustomed to liking a select few and loathing the rest. I hated some vegetable dishes when I was growing up, but once I moved away from home those were some of the dishes I missed the most. Weird maybe.

I would suggest taking him to some place like Ryan's in Concord, which is a buffet - let him just go nuts and eat whatever he wants. Like another poster suggested, get him to taste some stuff out of your plate - stuff that he won't normally plate himself. That should eventually do the trick.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,416,836 times
Olive Garden

Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,167,350 times
seems like parents are too busy to cook and have dinner prepared for a family sit down. Eat it, or you go hungry - Mom use to say. Maybe it's time to encourage them to select a new food item from a magazine, or cook book. Ask them to help you make it. This may spark an interest to taste what you created. Start with small items then progress. If you make it to breaded califlower or orange glazed shrimp, you hit a home run.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,119,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
seems like parents are too busy to cook and have dinner prepared for a family sit down. Eat it, or you go hungry - Mom use to say. Maybe it's time to encourage them to select a new food item from a magazine, or cook book. Ask them to help you make it. This may spark an interest to taste what you created. Start with small items then progress. If you make it to breaded califlower or orange glazed shrimp, you hit a home run.
I think that's what a lot of parents of picky eaters do. I was an extremely picky eater, to the point that if forced to eat I would throw up, and I went hungry a lot. But my mom kept trying. She made all kinds of different meals and exposed me to every different food you could think of. Now I'm not picky at all, in fact I cook from scratch and try different stuff all the time. Proof that it works!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM

181 posts, read 300,902 times
Maybe try a cafeteria like K&W. I was picky as a kid and could always find something there. Waiting in that line you got to see all the food before you make your tray! Your son might try something because it looks good, rather than trying to imagine it from a menu. I think K&W would be better food than ryan's, and there aren't as many obese people gorging themselves from a buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte