U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 22,782 times

Advertisements

When i visited the charlotte area- i really didnt see any big grocery stores- coming from upstate ny i am addicted to wegmans- where does everyone do their shopping??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM

153 posts, read 424,372 times
Harris Teeter is the biggest, we also have Lowes Food, Food Lion and Bi-Lo

Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 PM

822 posts, read 2,544,419 times
There was another thread about this awhile back. I've never been to a Wegman's. My wife and I shop Food Lion and Harris Teeter mostly, BI-LO if they have a good special on something....we bought shrimp there recently.

I remember how strange those names seemed 4 years ago after moving here.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM

872 posts, read 3,272,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Berry View Post
Harris Teeter is the biggest, we also have Lowes Food, Food Lion and Bi-Lo
And Bloom.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 AM

532 posts, read 1,569,900 times
You won't find anything remotely like a Wegman's down here.
The closest I've found (and it's really not even close) would be the Harris Teeter Morrocroft in the Southpark area.
Sorry.

(my mom is just outside of Baltimore and drives 2 hours each way for her Wegman's fix. Yeah, there's a new one around the corner from her in Hunt Valley, but she says it's not a "real" Wegmans and still drives out of state to her favorite.)

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 AM

93 posts, read 361,865 times
Harris Teeter is good if you want really good gourmet stuff. Excellent meat department.

Lowe's Foods is good for their seafood. (Stuffed flounder, shrimp, tuna, crabmeat), AWESOME wine selection, they sell Seattle's Best Coffee, AND, not to mention, Boar's Head Deli Foods. Excellent Meat department. No Boar's Head at Harris Teeter, though.

Walmart for overall savings on everything.

Bi-Lo and the Food Beast (er, Food Lion) is good as well, maybe a little more pricey than Walmart, but really nice savings on stuff.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 AM

59 posts, read 439,132 times
Default Respose to Grocery Store

Hi, I am a NYer also who is looking to relocate South. I don't even think that there are 7 elevens out in Charlotte. My aunt moved there and I have been visisitnf frequently. I think that they have little Quickie Marts and Supermarkets but no in between like our Bodegas. Charlottte is HOt and I like it although they have alot of hard core ghettos scattered. It's still not as bad as some places I have seen. I am trying to Choose between Ahoksie and Charlotte. the deciding factor is who is paying more, Verizon or Bell South!! Good Luck

Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM

153 posts, read 424,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideAnnie View Post
You won't find anything remotely like a Wegman's down here.
The closest I've found (and it's really not even close) would be the Harris Teeter Morrocroft in the Southpark area.
Sorry.

(my mom is just outside of Baltimore and drives 2 hours each way for her Wegman's fix. Yeah, there's a new one around the corner from her in Hunt Valley, but she says it's not a "real" Wegmans and still drives out of state to her favorite.)
Affectionatly referred to by some as the "Taj maTeeter"

Old 08-06-2007, 02:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,619,652 times
We used to call the one in Greensboro the "Taj ma Teeter" - it's actually the biggest in the world.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:19 PM

348 posts, read 319,116 times
I do miss Wegman's steak! My god it was expensive, but it was faaabulous!

You're going to be hardpressed to find any quality meat in our supermarkets, the bread sections are also weak (and no decent traditional bakeries in the vicinity) and the deserts are also mediocre.

BUT, we've got a trader joe's coming any day now--which will be a plus!

Thankfully, mostly none of us is down here for the supermarkets right?! If you feel you can't survive without your beloved Wegman's and all it has to offer, you may not enjoy other things about our beloved Charlotte. There's lots of older threads here on supermarkets, and butchers and bakeries and such. Give a read! You'll learn a heap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte