U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,381 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving to the Charlotte area this summer and we are looking for an area that is a close commute to the airport with great schools, lots of kids/family activities and in the 180-200 price range since we'll be taking a huge paycut for about a year or two. Is this still a price range where we can get it all without sacrificing the level of education for our children? Any suggestions for which areas to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM

174 posts, read 421,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berror View Post
Our family is moving to the Charlotte area this summer and we are looking for an area that is a close commute to the airport with great schools, lots of kids/family activities and in the 180-200 price range since we'll be taking a huge paycut for about a year or two. Is this still a price range where we can get it all without sacrificing the level of education for our children? Any suggestions for which areas to look into?
Being so close to the airport, I think you will find it very difficult to find good schools. You may have to venture about 25-30 minutes away from airport to Ft. Mill, SC where the schools are excellent, and depending where in Ft. Mill you are looking, you will have relatively easy acess to major highway heading to the airport.

That being said, you may have to up your price range depending on the size of home you are looking for. Here are a few homes listed in Ft. Mill area under 195k

The bottom 3 listings are in Tega Cay (Ft. Mill Schools) and will add 5-10 minutes to your airport commute, but it is a beautiful area and worth a look.

150 Whitley Mills Road, Fort Mill SC 29708 (Whitley Mills Subdivision) MLS # 1075361 - Allen Tate Real Estate (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=93&pagealias=ListingDet ailsMap&ListingID=1982080 - broken link)

7680 Black Hawk Ln, Tega Cay SC 29708 (Lakeshore Subdivision) MLS # 998598 - Allen Tate Real Estate (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=93&pagealias=ListingDet ailsMap&ListingID=1935329 - broken link)

12122 Songbird Ct., Tega Cay SC 29708 (Heron Harbor Subdivision) MLS # 1073495 - Allen Tate Real Estate (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=93&pagealias=ListingDet ailsMap&ListingID=1923200 - broken link)

7716 Black Hawk Ln, Tega Cay SC 29708 (Lake Shore Subdivision) MLS # 2013900 - Allen Tate Real Estate (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=93&pagealias=ListingDet ailsMap&ListingID=1980036 - broken link)

Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,787,773 times
Given what you listed as requirements, I recommend Bessemer City, NC.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Given what you listed as requirements, I recommend Bessemer City, NC.
Okay, that's just weird

Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the Carolinas

Given your price point and job location I would encourage to consider living just over the state line in Fort Mill, SC. You can still get a nice home there in that range and you will have excellent schools. It can be much harder to get the best schools in Charlotte under $200,000.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Look in Belmont, Mt Holly, Cramerton for closer commutes. The SE corner of Gastonia, which feeds Forestview HS has good schools. Kings Mountain has a good school system & will probably give you the best bang for your buck on real estate. However to get the Kings Mountain Schools you must be on the Cleveland County side of Kings Mountain.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,787,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, that's just weird
It's family friendly, interested in high quality education for the kids, an easy commute to the airport but also far enough away from the airport, and it's priced well.

We all forget sometimes there is more to the Charlotte metro than subdivisions right off I-485.

The Official Web Site of Bessemer City, North Carolina

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,381 times
Thanks everyone, we are looking in the Fort Mill area but I heard and read some parts are pretty bad. Which areas should I stay away from? Also, I found some great homes in Belmont for $200 in new communities, how is the crime in that area?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,570,265 times
If you live on the west side of I-77 near Gold Hill road your commute will be much better to the airport, and there is very little crime there. I am in Waterstone and travel to the airport regularly. I usually take 160 all the way to 485, and can be there in just over 20 mins.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone, we are looking in the Fort Mill area but I heard and read some parts are pretty bad. Which areas should I stay away from? Also, I found some great homes in Belmont for $200 in new communities, how is the crime in that area?
Crime in Fort Mill?

Sure, I guess there must be some, but nothing major and nothing I'd be really concerned about. It's a nice bedroom community in general and I can think of no "bad parts" at all. Anybody else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte