Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times

Advertisements

I heard that a 7th grade boy from Carmel Middle School committed suicide last week. The person who told me volunteers at the school and told me his mother died of cancer and he was depressed. Now I'm hearing he was bullied for a long time. Why would the media not pick up on that? Does anyone know anything or have any links to stories? This makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Hopefully this is not true. A quick search yielded no results. With that said, msm is not honest. It gets them no ratings and it may just open some eyes to the real troubles that are out there.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,070 times
This is true. A friend of mine who teaches at CMS said that her husband was this boy's tutor for two years, and they were pretty close. How sad.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
With that said, msm is not honest. It gets them no ratings and it may just open some eyes to the real troubles that are out there.
WTH does this even mean? Why the shot at the media? It could simply be that the school is not publicizing it or no one at the school is talking.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I heard that a 7th grade boy from Carmel Middle School committed suicide last week. The person who told me volunteers at the school and told me his mother died of cancer and he was depressed. Now I'm hearing he was bullied for a long time. Why would the media not pick up on that? Does anyone know anything or have any links to stories? This makes me sick.
The boy was a minor. If this happened at home, the family would have the right to tell the media to take a flying leap. If the family threatened to sue if it went public, no one would touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
If this is true it is awful but I am not sure it should be covered by the media.

I think bullying could be easily stopped by teachers if they were given the authority to do so. When my son was in elementary school I stopped a boy from kicking the kid in front of him as he was walking down the hall. The bully was kicking the kid (hard) with every step he took. I firmly grabbed his backpack, which stopped him in his tracks. Then, with the meanest sneer you ever saw I explained to that kid that if he did that again he would be very sorry.

I think teachers are well aware that bullying goes on and they know who is bullied. They should be allowed and required to stop it and a principal that doesn't suspend or expel a bully should be held accountable. Parents of the bully should also be held accountable. Bullying has been going on for too long - it has to stop.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Makes sense SB.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Makes sense SB.
It's a sad scenario, chuckles. If it happened at school or a library, etc., it would be public property. The media would be all over it, but could not legally use the child's name without permission.

The reason that Zara Baker's name went public is that she was reported missing.

As long as this happened in the child's home & it checked out as a legitimate suicide, it's a private matter. Now, if the father chose to sue the school, it would become public. It's a very fine line.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
If this is true it is awful but I am not sure it should be covered by the media.

I think bullying could be easily stopped by teachers if they were given the authority to do so. When my son was in elementary school I stopped a boy from kicking the kid in front of him as he was walking down the hall. The bully was kicking the kid (hard) with every step he took. I firmly grabbed his backpack, which stopped him in his tracks. Then, with the meanest sneer you ever saw I explained to that kid that if he did that again he would be very sorry.

I think teachers are well aware that bullying goes on and they know who is bullied. They should be allowed and required to stop it and a principal that doesn't suspend or expel a bully should be held accountable. Parents of the bully should also be held accountable. Bullying has been going on for too long - it has to stop.
I agree, but sometimes teachers aren't the answer.
30+ years ago when I was in elementary school, two classmates bullied me physically. Nothing major, just pushing me around, poking me, basic kid stuff. One of them, a much bigger kid than me, started smacking me in the head. Still, although it wasn't anything more than scary for a little kid like I was back then, my mom called the school and the two kids were taken to the principals office. That just made it worse for me, after a couple weeks. Finally, I'd had enough, and punched one of them in the ear so hard he had to go to the doctor. I was taken to the principals office, where I sat for a couple hours. Never even talked to the principal. I was never touched by any kid in that school again. It wasn't until years later that I realized the principal had given me a cover story. He'd probably told the parents of the kid I hit that I'd spent hours in his office (true), and would be reprimanded accordingly (I never was, and I suspect it's because the principal knew the big kid deserved what he got).

I'm not saying violence is the answer. I'm saying it's an answer. Back then kids weren't shooting up schools or killing themselves over being bullied. Stuff like that was often handled as my situation was, or "down by the lake at 3 o'clock". People handled their own business, and kids were tougher.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm not saying violence is the answer. I'm saying it's an answer. Back then kids weren't shooting up schools or killing themselves over being bullied. Stuff like that was often handled as my situation was, or "down by the lake at 3 o'clock". People handled their own business, and kids were tougher.
All someone people understand is a kick to the head.

Anytime the teacher used to say "violence never solved anything", I used to point out that a lot of people saved after WWII would disagree with that sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte