Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

I lived in Southport, NC while I was looking for jobs in Charlotte and still had a hard time convincing people I was serious about moving. I actually had a few jobs tell me they didn't want me to travel 4 hours for the interview because I may not get the job.

That was odd but I think employers in Charlotte in general want to be sure you are serious about moving here. It's a chicken/egg thing because people don't want to move without jobs but employers also don't want to hire someone who says they are coming but backs out once they get a better offer in their current state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I got a job in Charlotte while still living in NYC. I put down on my cover letter that I was closing on my home in the summer..that way they knew I was serious..and really needed the job. Luckily, it only took me 1 month to find a job. On the other hand, my brother who also tried to move down here from NYC, did not have the same luck. It all depends on what industry you're looking to work in. I agree with others that the job market is really bad out here. My husband has been looking for a new job for a few months already and nothing yet. It's going to take some time, but I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM

286 posts, read 688,821 times
Before we moved down last summer I was applying to a gazillion jobs as well with no luck. I obtained a residence before my actual move in hopes that would help and show that I'm seriously relocating to the area which was on my resume. Still nothing. I too was over quailified for 99% of the jobs I applied for. It's not an easy task. Like others said, even when you already live here jobs are hard to find. You take what you can get.

With that said, after my actual move, I got more replies and a few interviews. I also changed my cell number to a NC number. That helped as well. I find a lot of employers are relunctant to call long distance.

My resume was posted online through all the well-known job sites. To my surprise a recruiter found me (my resume online) and I landed a job within my field through her agency. I was trully blessed.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesimpson74 View Post
So I have been applying for A LOT of jobs in the Charlotte area with no hits at all. Most of the places won't even talk to me without a North Carolina driver's license. I am more than qualified for 90% of the jobs that I am applying for. Some of which are hard jobs to find people experienced in, but I still have no luck at all!!

Is there a reason they don't like hiring people from out of state in that area? Any tips on how I could maybe get a step further with some of these companies?

By the way I am a diesel truck/equipment/aerial equipment mechanic. I just don't get it. I applied for a few jobs in Texas and have a lot more interest coming back at me but I would much rather move to the east coast than to Texas!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
That's why I quit my job and moved with nothing lined up...received 3 job offers in 1.5 months. I took a small paycut but so what...I'm happy.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM

308 posts, read 617,430 times
A trucking professional without a local state drivers license seems like a no brainer when it comes to figuring out why a job can't be obtained. I believe that the only real thing that will hurt a person in these parts as far as getting a job is mentioning previous union membership. That seems to be taboo. Local employers are afraid that union involvement equates to low production and overpay

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 58,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
A trucking professional without a local state drivers license seems like a no brainer when it comes to figuring out why a job can't be obtained. I believe that the only real thing that will hurt a person in these parts as far as getting a job is mentioning previous union membership. That seems to be taboo. Local employers are afraid that union involvement equates to low production and overpay
I can drive a truck in any state and transfer my license over easy enough. I work on the trucks, I only drive them for test driving, plus the majority of diesel mechanics don't even have a CDL. As for the union thing, I have never been in one so that shouldn't be an issue. I wish it wasn't so hard and risky to just quit my job and move there and hope and pray that I find a job soon!! Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate your input.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
I agree with Ani. They don't care where the person lives as long as they can show up to work. Workers have become nothing more than commodities and like a bushel of corn, they will go with the cheapest they can get. The problem is far too few jobs for the desperate masses moving here.

They are just making the desperate masses larger. My recommendation is don't come here. There is nothing.

( Rumors today that the Banksters have decided to shed some of their employees. Lots of them. This won't be good for CLT employment either. )

Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I got a job in Charlotte while still living in NYC. I put down on my cover letter that I was closing on my home in the summer..that way they knew I was serious..and really needed the job. Luckily, it only took me 1 month to find a job. On the other hand, my brother who also tried to move down here from NYC, did not have the same luck. It all depends on what industry you're looking to work in. I agree with others that the job market is really bad out here. My husband has been looking for a new job for a few months already and nothing yet. It's going to take some time, but I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck!
Hi Samana! May I ask wht industry you are in? I'm a New Yorker myself job hunting and looking to relocate.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesimpson74 View Post
So I have been applying for A LOT of jobs in the Charlotte area with no hits at all. Most of the places won't even talk to me without a North Carolina driver's license. I am more than qualified for 90% of the jobs that I am applying for. Some of which are hard jobs to find people experienced in, but I still have no luck at all!!

Is there a reason they don't like hiring people from out of state in that area? Any tips on how I could maybe get a step further with some of these companies?

By the way I am a diesel truck/equipment/aerial equipment mechanic. I just don't get it. I applied for a few jobs in Texas and have a lot more interest coming back at me but I would much rather move to the east coast than to Texas!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This is the case anywhere and everywhere, even before the recession. Most places only hire local candidates unless its for a high level management position. If you are set on moving out of state, you pretty much have to save up and move without a job or transfer with your existing company.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Just a few years ago, recruiters from NC school systems were traveling to some northern states to recruit teachers due to a teacher shortage in NC; many teachers relocated to NC from NY, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio....now many are getting pink slips.

I realize you want to work on trucks rather than teach, but the job situation for most professions is tough right now. If you have a job, be thankful for it regardless of what state you are in. If you are financially and emotionally able to be a risk taker, pack up, move, and try to find a job. Wise to have a plan B, C ....Otherwise, stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte