Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM

23 posts, read 58,819 times

Advertisements

So I have been applying for A LOT of jobs in the Charlotte area with no hits at all. Most of the places won't even talk to me without a North Carolina driver's license. I am more than qualified for 90% of the jobs that I am applying for. Some of which are hard jobs to find people experienced in, but I still have no luck at all!!

Is there a reason they don't like hiring people from out of state in that area? Any tips on how I could maybe get a step further with some of these companies?

By the way I am a diesel truck/equipment/aerial equipment mechanic. I just don't get it. I applied for a few jobs in Texas and have a lot more interest coming back at me but I would much rather move to the east coast than to Texas!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM

60 posts, read 120,270 times
not sure if this will help your situation but I do know when you move there you need to take a test before getting your NC driver's license. I think it's just the written part, I've been driving 30 yrs and am sweating it believe it or not..if your able to get to NC and have a place to stay - get the NC D/L I guess...I realize that may not be possible...I hope it is and wish you luck...

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesimpson74 View Post
So I have been applying for A LOT of jobs in the Charlotte area with no hits at all. Most of the places won't even talk to me without a North Carolina driver's license. I am more than qualified for 90% of the jobs that I am applying for. Some of which are hard jobs to find people experienced in, but I still have no luck at all!!

Is there a reason they don't like hiring people from out of state in that area? Any tips on how I could maybe get a step further with some of these companies?

By the way I am a diesel truck/equipment/aerial equipment mechanic. I just don't get it. I applied for a few jobs in Texas and have a lot more interest coming back at me but I would much rather move to the east coast than to Texas!

Maybe it's because the unemployment rate is so high, locally. Jobs that might go begging in better economic times might be easily filled by unemployed locals.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natesimpson74 View Post

I know this must be very frustrating to you, but you have to understand...NC is one of the top 5 states people are moving to. There are MANY qualified and OVERLY qualified people in the work force already here ready to start work tomorrow. Employers simply do not have to deal with anyone coming from out of state if they don't want to. Sorry

Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I was about to say...NC is a hard place to find a job even if you are HERE!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 PM

23 posts, read 58,819 times
I guess without actually being there I don't see a whole lot about the jobs, but it just seems there are so many diesel mechanic jobs that have been listed for months at a time before they hire anyone. To me that says they are having trouble finding someone. Of course it could just be that there are enough people applying that they are just trying to find exactly what they want through the masses. I don't know, but yes it gets very frustrating!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
Many companies resume build. The jobs that are posted for months may have been filled, not budgeted or don't exist.

And on the other hand, locals are having a hard time finding work. Take a position where you can get one.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:09 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Why don';t you do your trade near an oil refining terminal? Those areas seem to be holding well in this depression....

Texas will be good !

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
Being from out of state has nothing to do with it. Take this from a local that has a wife who has had trouble finding steady work for 3 years now. One of the problems is that everyone from around the country is flocking here as if CLT was the promised land where the streets are paved with gold. There are already way too many qualified people here and not enough work to go around. You situation is a tough but very common one and I'm sorry you are having trouble finding work here. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I don't think it has a darned thing to do with hiring locals only! People want the most qualified person - but they also want to know if they hire someone and train that person, he/she is gonna be there for a while.

A lot of people are checking for jobs in several states, while their families may be living somewhere else (especially if spouse has a job he/she needs to keep) and the job seeker may actually be hoping to find any type of work for a matter of months to keep some money coming in - til they can land a job back where their families are continuing to live. I have known of serveral of these situations personally.

It has nothing to do with discriminating against a potential employee b/c he/she is not local. Employers don't want to hire someone, train them, then have them leave in 5 months when they find a job "back home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte