U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,056,379 times

Advertisements

I have a screened in porch that is connected to my house, and you can enter it from either the outside or a door from the inside of the house.

I would like to have someone wire the porch with outdoor speakers and hook up the equipment inside (receiver etc...)

I have hardy plank on the on the exterior of the home so it'll be hard to hide the wiring and drill holes myself so I'm looking for a professional that can do this for me. I'm sure it can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on who to use for this? I found someone online but they can't grasp what I am trying to do.

I have a budget that I'm working with, so people like ZOBO I'm trying to stay away from.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I have a screened in porch that is connected to my house, and you can enter it from either the outside or a door from the inside of the house.

I would like to have someone wire the porch with outdoor speakers and hook up the equipment inside (receiver etc...)

I have hardy plank on the on the exterior of the home so it'll be hard to hide the wiring and drill holes myself so I'm looking for a professional that can do this for me. I'm sure it can be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on who to use for this? I found someone online but they can't grasp what I am trying to do.

I have a budget that I'm working with, so people like ZOBO I'm trying to stay away from.

Thanks
When I was still in the A/V business (2008), ZOBO was well known for being cheap. Cheap, not just inexpensive. If your budget doesn't include someone like them, you may need to hit craigslist or similar and find a handyman to do the job.

I can give you some basic pointers here if you like. I also do in-home consulting on an hourly basis.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
I thought there is a way to do remote speakers now - like a network - that requires no wiring. ????

Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM

28,389 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
The ideal approach is to run the wiring through the wall and DOWN to the basement or crawl space
and from there distribute it to wherever you might want to have speakers...
where the wire is then run UP through the wall. (just like electricians do <-- *hint*)

The controls (on/off, volume) and mounts and termination blocks etc used and seen within the living space
are what separate a better job from the bad ones... plus the speakers themselves.

None of it is complicated but it is dirty and sweaty and depending on the level of access to the area below the living room... then the "ideal" will probably have to be adjusted some. Adjusted some = that will cost more.

Whichever level of ideal you have...
it won't cost a lot more to have more rooms and maybe even the whole house wired for sound vs just the porch.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 06-08-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM

642 posts, read 986,480 times
By far the cheapest way to do this is to run wires from the amplifier output to the speaker location. You will need one pair of wires per speaker. However this is often a really difficult job to do if you wish to do a neat job with no wires on view.

There are a few other ways to do this however.

1). Use wireless speakers. The requirement here is that you have a power socket near where you want the speakers. Here's an ebay link that lists some examples wireless speakers | eBay

2) Use regular speakers with a power adapter that uses regular speakers and a mains powered box at the amp end and another at the speaker end. I know these exist but I searched on ebay and could not find you an example.

Personally I'd go with the wireless route.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM

Wireless speakers are an option, but they are the lowest of the low end for sound quality, and in the real world the wireless aspect seldom works as well as advertised. And as has been stated they need to have electrical outlets nearby. There are no flush mount wireless speakers, so going wireless rules that option out if it was a consideration.

Wiring routing depends on many things, and there is no cookie cutter answer for the best way to do it. In a ranch style home (one floor) going up to the attic can be as advantageous as going down into the crawl, if there is one. The components (receiver, CD, etc.) can be put in a lot of places besides the main living area. Closets, kitchen cabinets, in/on china hutches and other furniture, etc.

Some other things to consider-Will there be more than one pair of speakers connected to your receiver? Is it capable of doing that by itself, or will you need to add an outboard speaker selector? For instance, you can't use the "b" speakers of a surround sound receiver to run another room sensibly. Only multi-zone capable surround receivers can do this correctly, or a plain old stereo receiver. How will you control the volume of the various pairs of speakers independently? Will you want the volume control for the porch speakers near the porch, or are you willing to go where the stereo is to change that volume? What music sources will you want to be able to play on the various speakers?

Lots of little things to consider to end up with a good result.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 06-08-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

123 posts, read 245,663 times
I had this done to our last home on our screened in porch. I bought Infinity speakers for it. I used an AV guy and he also did the surround in our living room and hooked it all up. The total job was around $500 without speaker cost. I believe he charged us around $75 per speaker and spent nearly all day with two guys. There are some people around here that will definitely do it. Another option is to call the 3rd party cable installers and those guys will do it on the side. Look up Infinite Designs of Charlotte. I have not used them but was considering it. Good luck! I would not go wireless either due to poor sound and quality.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,921,306 times
I agree wholeheartedly with vma. You get what you pay for and Zobo is the best in the business, IMHO. We've used them twice and I'd use them again.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with vma. You get what you pay for and Zobo is the best in the business, IMHO. We've used them twice and I'd use them again.
That's not exactly what I said. I'm glad you are happy with their work. But they are best known for being cheap. I wasn't really endorsing them, but making the point that if OP thought ZOBO was expensive, he is not going to find an actual brick and mortar company to perform his installation. ZOBO is definitely one of if not the cheapest B&M, and as you said, you get what you pay for. OTOH, the work involved here is fairly simple for someone who is experienced.

The other "problem" OP has is that his is a very small job, and many installers will want a premium to do it, rather than taking on a larger, more lucrative job. But it is what it is.

One final point along these lines. Anyone with a drill and some wire could put this together. As A/V projects go, it's simple, But there is a wide range of quality work that can be had. Not everyone will go to the time and trouble to make sure every possible bit of wire is hidden, or that the system is properly set up for whatever OP has, or that speaker placement is optimized. Many people will run wires, bolt up speakers, and don't really care about the long term use of the system, because they won't be around to deal with it. Or they've never learned why putting speakers in different places can affect sound quality. Just an FYI.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,716 times
Vmaxnc has excellent information.

We are experienced with this sort of set up (husband also consults for hourly rate) and the tools to do it, but there are so many factors on how the job needs to get done for the home. You can hire someone off Craigslist, but be weary and get references should you go that route. Anyone who has the level of skill needed to perform a good job should have an existing list of references that will vouch for their work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte