Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
It's time to split the system into 3-5 autonomous units.
CMS is one of the largest systems in the country.
Toss in busing ~100,000 miles EACH day and you have an uncontrollable mess.

Maybe they need to look at the larger ones and see how they do it. I worked in Fairfax County which is larger (12)and it was not at the time so messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,668,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
The last time I looked it was not even in the top 12. Maybe they need to look at the larger ones and see how they do it. I worked in Fairfax County which is larger and it was not at the time so messy.

Charlotte Mecklenburg is the 18th largest in the country. Many of those in the top 20 are in even worse financial straits - it's a problem all over the country.

Largest 100 School Districts

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,007 times
Yeah, I worked in the 2nd largest school district for 17 years.....I am a bit worried about my retirement account.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte Mecklenburg is the 18th largest in the country. Many of those in the top 20 are in even worse financial straits - it's a problem all over the country.

Largest 100 School Districts

Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,439,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Peter Gorman is well respected in his field - well respected.

He did a great job in very difficult circumstances during his 5 year tenure.

Charlotte was lucky to have him and I hope the search committee looking to replace him can find someone as qualified.
Agree 100%.

And I would also hope the search committee would try to find someone as committed and qualified, but here is the thing . . .

Anyone with any sense will RUN. So the search committee can ASK all day . . . doesn't mean anyone is gonna respond. To most administrators, especially after seeing how Gorman has been treated, it would be preferable to make less $$$ and work in a more sane district.

So folks can try to recruit "the best" all day . . . CMS' reputation is gonna be the problem.

I agree w/ others who say it is time to look at breaking the district up. Actually, it is PAST time.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,285,958 times
Heh. If they pay the replacement as much as Gorman got paid, I predict the doors will be knocked down by people looking to apply. Reputation doesn't put food on anyone's table and I suspect, like Gorman, they are not that interested in it anyway. If it did, then Gorman would not be leaving with the reputation that CMS has earned while he was running it.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,439,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Heh. If they pay the replacement as much as Gorman got paid, I predict the doors will be knocked down by people looking to apply. Reputation doesn't put food on anyone's table and I suspect, like Gorman, they are not that interested in it anyway. If it did, then Gorman would not be leaving with the reputation that CMS has earned while he was running it.
His salary was not out of line at all with his peers' - and anyone lining up will have to have a track record or their resume will be like everyone else's is these days - ending up in a big pile marked "not a match."

Frankly, if I had a Ph.D. in Education and years of experience and service at the administrative level, I wouldn't take on CMS for $500K a year plus bennies. And I would recommend to anyone else that they don't, either, until the system is broken up into smaller units.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,331 times
The low performing schools shouldn't have the good principals in order to turn their test scores around.

You shouldn't teach to the test, come up with different methods in order to make sure kids are up to speed with this new fangled "global economy" they'll be running headfirst into once they graduate.

Even if you have an entire week off to find SOME WAY to celebrate Martin Luther King, you cannot have a make up date on that day or else you're branded a racist.

In CMS, the under performing teacher's position is held in far higher regard than the school superintendent. The same teachers that folks took time off to show support when it came to budget cuts during a time of financial crisis, whether they meant to do so or not. To the guy who instituted enough change to help bring a school system's worth of test scores up, I doubt you'll see one picket sign.

It seems to me that if you walk into a massive clusterf**k, you're going to have to be innovative even if it means ruffling a few feathers. Old school, one room classroom methodology ain't doing the trick in 2011.

But hey, when the child fails, the media, the NAACP, or any group who makes their names by pointing fingers, will NEVER point one at the uninvolved parents. They might be more untouchable than the teachers. It's NEVER them. It's always someone else.

The next guy who takes that job is flat out crazy.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 AM

308 posts, read 617,331 times
It is this simple. Until you change the horrible parents that have allowed the CMS to get into such a poor state, you can't expect miracles with a new superintendant or huge allocations of money. It is the sorry parents that cause failures, not the schools.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 AM

689 posts, read 1,655,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
it is this simple. Until you change the horrible parents that have allowed the cms to get into such a poor state, you can't expect miracles with a new superintendant or huge allocations of money. It is the sorry parents that cause failures, not the schools.
amen!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,309,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
But hey, when the child fails, the media, the NAACP, or any group who makes their names by pointing fingers, will NEVER point one at the uninvolved parents.

The next guy who takes that job is flat out crazy.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
It is this simple. Until you change the horrible parents that have allowed the CMS to get into such a poor state, you can't expect miracles with a new superintendant or huge allocations of money. It is the sorry parents that cause failures, not the schools.
We agree on this, but how do we fix it?

I was reading last week, and wish I could find the article, on how many children in CMS are technically 'homeless'.
They move from relative to relative and no one is technically involved in their complete wellbeing.
This is heartbreaking to me.

These are more than likely some of the same underage youth wandering around Speed Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte