U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,786,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post

And Peter Gorman worked hard during his tenure here and had incredible mountains to climb. No, he wasn't loved all of the time, but who is?
Nah. Gorman was quite happy to come here during the economic bubble which meant the county was quite happy to constantly expand his resources each year. He never had to deal with the racial issues to the level that his predecessors did. He surrounded himself by an over paid bureaucratic administration that he grew significantly while he was in power. New layers of complexity as a buffer to keep real progress from being accomplished. Look at how the non-teaching staff, especially those making $100K/year was expanded. Compared to CMS's history since 1965, Gorman had a pretty easy time of it.

Yet during all this the school system didn't get better and they continued to lose middle class students. This in a county that grew significantly during the 2000s. Before people disagree with me on this, simply look at the constant recommendations given out on this forum for people to move to Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, York only because the schools are much better. That is the number one reason for giving to newcomers to stay out of Mecklenburg county.

Long timers in this county will remember that his predecessors were written up in national magazines for how well CMS was run and how it was an example for the USA to follow. They will remember a superintendents that engaged local industry and company CEOS to be involved in the schools to the point of donating land, equipment and talent to the education process. Gorman in comparison insulated himself from almost everyone. The school system under Gorman became so dysfunctional, there have been several efforts by the localities outside of Charlotte to pull out of the system all together.

If Gorman is doing such a good job, then why is it the few charter schools allowed in this county have waiting lists that far far beyond their capacities. Gorman is at the top of this list. (BTW, his administration lobbied against raising the charter school cap.)

As long as the county gave him more and more each year it was easy to deal with by shuffling the deck chairs in order to move problems around. Now when it has become hard, because he has to oversea a system that has to cut back, when hard decisions have to be made, he bails without warning for greener pasture. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, and Gorman hasn't done anything for anyone except himself in his tenure here.

Gorman is a metaphor for the failures of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,753 times
I am assuming by long timers you are talking about someone prior to John Murphy?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times
Some of you will like this....

Job qualifications: Sanity is optional | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/14/2378890/when-sanity-is-optional.html - broken link)

Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 AM

Thpugh Gorman will be on the taxpayer's payroll, collecting his highest paid government salary in NC until August 15, he decided not to attend or participate in any graduation ceremonies this year. I suppose he has better things to do now. Even more sickening is that several board members apologized and made excuses for him not being there.

I suppose "for the children" has no meaning beyond an excuse to raise taxes.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Is there an early short list of possible replacements for Gordon?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Thpugh Gorman will be on the taxpayer's payroll, collecting his highest paid government salary in NC until August 15, he decided not to attend or participate in any graduation ceremonies this year. I suppose he has better things to do now. Even more sickening is that several board members apologized and made excuses for him not being there.

But he is doing a superb job.

He isn't going to show up at any public activities because he is a whimp and doesn't have the guts to be called out on what he has NOT done for this system and how is has done nothing but drain it.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post

Because of the news of the day, his presence probably would have been more of a distraction. But hey...if he had shown up someone would have complained anyway. "How dare he be here!"

Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Because of the news of the day, his presence probably would have been more of a distraction. ....
Yes, this is the official line of some of the board of education. (the ones from districts) I'm now sure how the Superintendent of Education would be a "distraction" at at the graduation of his own school system. I would say that his not being there, has caused a distraction.

I think they ought to give the students and the public more credit than that. Then again, these career polticians have nothing but contempt for the people they are suppose to represent as demonstrated by that sort of answer.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
I am so surprised at these responses. The problems with CMS were here long b/f Gorman arrived.

As far as under-performing teachers - let's face it - they are everywhere, not just here in CMS. However, in saying that, let me add that underperforming employees are in EVERY SECTOR of our economy. The difference is . . . underperforming employees in most sectors can (and eventually, will) be fired since they don't have tenure - and assuming they are not members of a Union.

I also do not mean to insult the MAJORITY of teachers, who are dedicated to excellence - in both their own performance and in that of their students, as well.

Everyone needs to get real about CMS . . .the system needs to be broken up into several districts, each with their own governance (i.e., school board and superintendant).

And parents need to get real about what services any school should be providing. If a community does not have the tax basis to pay for all the bells and whistles, then that is the way it is. A child's ability to learn is not dependent on anything more than his/her desire to learn, ability to read/comprehend . . . and guidance from teachers towards finding the right resources and with assessment of skills development.

Parents and their children need to start thinking of education as a personal responsibility. Education is an individual pursuit, regardless of how the material is presented (in a classroom, over the internet, home schooling, etc). It has nothing to do with extracurricular activities, new school buildings, etc.

Perhaps it is time to consider what innovations can be introduced that allow for cost-effective learning opportunities, incorporating the net, community resources, volunteerism, individualized tutoring, and less emphasis on bureaucracy and brick and mortar education.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Interesting info in this article.....WTG gorman.

Gorman grant paid for PR campaign for CMS budget | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/15/2379133/gorman-grant-paid-for-budget-pr.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or