Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM

3,864 posts, read 4,263,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Statistics DO indicate otherwise. You all keep talking about VIOLENT CRIME as if that is all the crime to be concerned about.

And I don't know what your scenario proves or doesn't prove in re: to Charlotte - and especially in re: to areas of Charlotte that have, in the past, rarely had crime occur. May I add . . . homes have always been broken into, probably since man rolled a stone up in front of a cave and called it "home" . . . but perps of the past waited til no one was home. Now, they brazenly charge in fully aware the homeowner is there. At least they do here - in Charlotte, NC.

So it isn't just a matter of x houses get broken into . . . or x cars get stolen . . it is the "i don't give a damn" attitude these thugs have - in yer face hostiiity, weapon or not.

At least the old school thugs tried to avoid people while committing their dirty deeds.

Anyone who says a female is paranoid for being concerned about her personal safety in this city - even when at home in her "safe" neighborhood - is in denial.

??? and not gonna let ya off the hook that easy, WHAT STATS? It's no worse in Charlotte than Atlanta, etc....get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Birmingham's crime rate is pretty confined to a small inner city area - as I suspect much of the other mid-size cities with high crime rates are. There are always the "bad" parts of town that you have to avoid in any city mid-size or large.
No way, Charlotte is the crime capital of the south! It's worse the pre-Katrina New Orleans.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
LOL
You guys are right, Charlotte is a town and Atanta is a big town.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 AM

235 posts, read 306,370 times
Default Some current data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
According to the FBI's 2009 report, Charlotte has a violent crime rate of 7.23 per 1000 people, which makes Charlotte not the most dangerous city, but definitely not the safest.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The FBI just released its 2010 Uniform Crime Report and Charlotte's violent crime dropped 13% from January to December of 2010... property crimes also dropped. Not one category of crime recorded went up during this time.

FBI — Table 4 Montana - Ohio

Nationwide, total violent crime has been dropping since 2006

FBI — Crime in the U.S. 2008

Wonder why? do some research, start with looking at gun sales since 2006.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
The FBI just released its 2010 Uniform Crime Report and Charlotte's violent crime dropped 13% from January to December of 2010... property crimes also dropped. Not one category of crime recorded went up during this time.

FBI — Table 4 Montana - Ohio

Nationwide, total violent crime has been dropping since 2006

FBI — Crime in the U.S. 2008

Wonder why? do some research, start with looking at gun sales since 2006.
Are you sure these stats are correct (after all, information was obtained from Wikipedia)? People living in Charlotte should stay away from Indianapolis, Albuquerque, Buffalo, Wichita, Greensboro, etc., according to this report, crime is worse in those places than in Charlotte!

Crime is no joke, my intentions are not to make light of it, but the exaggerations made on this board regarding crime in Charlotte are absurd. One or a couple incidents and all of a sudden Charlotte is becoming the OK Corral. Get out of your shell and take a look around, it's not exclusive
to Charlotte.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:02 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,497,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Are you sure these stats are correct (after all, information was obtained from Wikipedia)? People living in Charlotte should stay away from Indianapolis, Albuquerque, Buffalo, Wichita, Greensboro, etc., according to this report, crime is worse in those places than in Charlotte!

Crime is no joke, my intentions are not to make light of it, but the exaggerations made on this board regarding crime in Charlotte are absurd. One or a couple incidents and all of a sudden Charlotte is becoming the OK Corral. Get out of your shell and take a look around, it's not exclusive
to Charlotte.

One or a couple??? I am assuming that you don't live here, but I would encourage you to read the local news via one or more of the local tv stations. Every morning we wake up to a stabbing, murder, home invasion or someone laying dead in the street. This is NOT a competition about which city has more crime as though that is something to be proud of. What it is about is the fact that we have problems around here, big problems and many are in denial. The crime is out of control, we do have gang issues and we have a police chief who has no credibility and sugarcoats everything and a mayor who wants to keep everything on the dl because of the convention coming next year. All to the detriment of this community and its citizens.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,282,371 times
Quote:
Are you sure these stats are correct (after all, information was obtained from Wikipedia)
Looks like FBI.gov to me.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
One or a couple??? I am assuming that you don't live here, but I would encourage you to read the local news via one or more of the local tv stations. Every morning we wake up to a stabbing, murder, home invasion or someone laying dead in the street. This is NOT a competition about which city has more crime as though that is something to be proud of. What it is about is the fact that we have problems around here, big problems and many are in denial. The crime is out of control, we do have gang issues and we have a police chief who has no credibility and sugarcoats everything and a mayor who wants to keep everything on the dl because of the convention coming next year. All to the detriment of this community and its citizens.
Well, maybe you should relocated to a percieved less "crime" ridden city, you might be in for a big surprise. Sure there's crime here, but crime is everywhere. I do read the paper and watch the news, Charlotte is lightweight in terms of crime (it's a problem in a lot places, not just here); your conspiracy theory (JFK) tidbit is shameful and infers limited worldly exposure.

Let's not use stats and empirical data to make rational comparisons. Based on your perception, you probably think the world is flat; after all it does seem flat.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM

235 posts, read 306,370 times
Quote:

to Charlotte.
Did you check the links I provided? No Wickipedia here... Only stats from the FBI.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,497,026 times
Quote:
Well, maybe you should relocated to a percieved less "crime" ridden city, you might be in for a big surprise. Sure there's crime here, but crime is everywhere. I do read the paper and watch the news, Charlotte is lightweight in terms of crime (it's a problem in a lot places, not just here); your conspiracy theory (JFK) tidbit is shameful and infers limited worldly exposure.

Let's not use stats and empirical data to make rational comparisons. Based on your perception, you probably think the world is flat; after all it does seem flat.

None of this drivel makes a lick of sense........conspiracy theory? Geesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte