Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,553 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm in agreement with CharlotteGal and MikeyKid, b/c from what I've ever read on a lot of posts is people being realisitc about things going on in Charlotte, noone has ever tried to paint Charlotte as this picture perfect city where there are no problems whatsover, most people tell it like it is! Personally, for those of you who like to complain about every little thing, from crime to what Charlotte lacks compared to whatever place you came from before moving to Charlotte, if Charlotte is that bad of a city, then why in the hell are y'all still living there? I know Charlotte isn't perfect, but there must be some good things about it as well, or you wouldn't have moved there in the first place! That's my rant for the day, I'm out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
To me, this seems as tho it could be one of those situations b/n 2 folks who already knew each other, rather than a random robbery.

I am saying that as a reporter, taking into account the statement a person left in comment about the incident, and assuming he was giving an eye witness account of what he observed.

I think it is quite possible that the victim was targeted b/c the gunman believed the victim "owed him" and he had decided to make the victim pay - while also sending him a message . . . seems like Old West vigilante type of behavior, to me.

Now, maybe my imagination has put the writer's spin on it, lol . . . but . . . this type of crime doesn't worry me to the degree that a true random shooting would.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Everyone knows what Chromekitty means. Splitting hairs over the English is simply being disingenuous at best. As I pointed out in another topic there is a large cadre of people who want to make out that Charlotte has no real issues and instead want to pretend the city is full of rainbows with pots of gold on every street accented by pretty unicorns running around all over the place. (with smiling bubble heads dancing everywhere)

I'm sure some of these people must be posting on City-Data.

I don't think it's disingenuous at all to remind people to use their words carefully on an online forum - all we have to go by are the actual words on the page. One cannot assume that "everyone knows what I mean". Hyperbole and exaggeration only serve to confuse the issue, and degrade the quality of discussion. If I'm responding to "those who want to say there are no issues", that conversation will be very different from one with people who are carefully teasing out the reality of the situation.

I believe folks on this forum can do better than Observer-comment-level distortion, in other words.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 PM

103 posts, read 144,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
I think it's all a frame of reference issue. With so many transplants from Rust Belt/larger in general cities where crime seems much worse, Charlotte may not seem so bad. If you aren't used to urban environments or grew up in Charlotte when it was smaller and didn't have as many "big city" problems then this may seem far far worse.

While I wish neither city had crime, moving from Cleveland to Charlotte is night and day. Cleveland is always in the top 10 of crime stats yet somehow I always felt safe and unthreated. Charlotte is no where near their level of crime yet has a ~250,000 more people, therefore I may be someone who is running through Uptown searching for my pot of gold.
I am with this guy. I am originally from CT and Hartford and/or New Haven have a murder or shooting practically everyday. The crime here seems kind of like a joke to me. It is all relative I suppose.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I don't think it's disingenuous at all to remind people to use their words carefully on an online forum - ....
Well then just do it then instead of beating around the bush. Let them know that you are telling them what is proper to say and what isn't. I'm thinking this won't get you that far in life, but hey, they couldn't pay me enough for that job. instead, I believe in keeping my side of the street clean and leaving everyone else to their theirs. It's not my place to lecture others on what to say nor will I accept it from self-appointed censors or whatever they call themselves.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM

308 posts, read 617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Well see how it plays out as to what the "truth" is but none the less, those who want to say there are no issues in Charlotte......that is oh so incorrect.
I am pretty sure that you could not find one (1) posting where the writer says that "There are no issues in Charlotte." There are some of us that tend to be more positive than negative, but it would be stupid to say that there are no issues. Therefore, nobody has.

Contradicting or clarifying matters for habitual complainers is not saying there are no issues. However, our issues are no worse or different than other cities.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
According to the FBI's 2009 report, Charlotte has a violent crime rate of 7.23 per 1000 people, which makes Charlotte not the most dangerous city, but definitely not the safest.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
According to the FBI's 2009 report, Charlotte has a violent crime rate of 7.23 per 1000 people, which makes Charlotte not the most dangerous city, but definitely not the safest.

But as I have stated many times in the past . . . violent crime is not the only crime that is of concern in this (or any other) city.

Just cause a thug didn't shoot me when he robbed me doesn't make that crime more "acceptable."

Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 PM

189 posts, read 333,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post

Moving from 7th to 39th in violent crimes feels like a good move for me. Or from 1st to 32nd in Robbery crimes.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But as I have stated many times in the past . . . violent crime is not the only crime that is of concern in this (or any other) city.

Just cause a thug didn't shoot me when he robbed me doesn't make that crime more "acceptable."
Armed robbery counts as violent crime though.

Charlotte has a high property crime rating too. I couldn't find recent stats for property crime, but this article says it's dropping:

N.C. crime rate hits a 25-year low | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/15/1563197/nc-crime-rate-hits-a-25-year-low.html - broken link)

Though in 2009 the property crime rating was 49.55 per 1000, which is over twice as high as New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte