U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,686,919 times
Reputation: 955

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
I am pretty sure that you could not find one (1) posting where the writer says that "There are no issues in Charlotte." There are some of us that tend to be more positive than negative, but it would be stupid to say that there are no issues. Therefore, nobody has.

Contradicting or clarifying matters for habitual complainers is not saying there are no issues. However, our issues are no worse or different than other cities.
My thoughts exactly! I am very aware that Charlotte has crime, but to always harp on everything negative isn't productive to me! I hope and pray that Charlotte's leadership, from the Mayor to the Police Chief come up with solutions to make the community a lot safer and continue to make Charlotte a nice community to live in, of course it doesn't matter to some of y'all, b/c what Mayor Foxx or Chief Rodney Monroe come up with, those complainers will still say they should've done this, that or the other! I mean, y'all should be running things if you think you can do better than the ones who are in charge! Let's get one thing straight, as Charlotte continues to grow, things like this will happen from time to time, b/c guess what, before long, Charlotte will probably go the way of Boston, Philly, D.C., and that city to the south of Charlotte on 85 which I won't mention (Atlanta)! Yeah, crime in Charlotte is bad, however, go spend some extended time in a place like St. Louis or go to some of the roughest parts of Chicago and Miami, and you will know that Charlotte isn't nearly as bad as those places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Armed robbery counts as violent crime though.

Charlotte has a high property crime rating too. I couldn't find recent stats for property crime, but this article says it's dropping:

N.C. crime rate hits a 25-year low | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/15/1563197/nc-crime-rate-hits-a-25-year-low.html - broken link)

Though in 2009 the property crime rating was 49.55 per 1000, which is over twice as high as New York City.
I didn't make myself clear, evidently.

Just because I have my handbag ripped off my arm or my carjacked (no gun visible in commission of said crimes) . . . I have still been violated and a crime has been committed. I guess I am supposed to feel grateful or more safe or less violated b/c I didn't get shot during commission of said crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
My thoughts exactly! I am very aware that Charlotte has crime, but to always harp on everything negative isn't productive to me! I hope and pray that Charlotte's leadership, from the Mayor to the Police Chief come up with solutions to make the community a lot safer and continue to make Charlotte a nice community to live in, of course it doesn't matter to some of y'all, b/c what Mayor Foxx or Chief Rodney Monroe come up with, those complainers will still say they should've done this, that or the other! I mean, y'all should be running things if you think you can do better than the ones who are in charge! Let's get one thing straight, as Charlotte continues to grow, things like this will happen from time to time, b/c guess what, before long, Charlotte will probably go the way of Boston, Philly, D.C., and that city to the south of Charlotte on 85 which I won't mention (Atlanta)! Yeah, crime in Charlotte is bad, however, go spend some extended time in a place like St. Louis or go to some of the roughest parts of Chicago and Miami, and you will know that Charlotte isn't nearly as bad as those places!
The BAD PARTS of Charlotte are just as bad as East St. Louis, for ex. If you go into the BAD PARTS of any city, bad things may happen, lol.

The problem with Charlotte crime is . . . BAD THINGS happen in GOOD PARTS of town. That is the issue. That is why folks are upset about crime here. The thugs do not stay in a THUGS ONLY zone. IF they did, then all the rest of us would have to do is just avoid those parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
 
2,870 posts, read 1,658,068 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I didn't make myself clear, evidently.

Just because I have my handbag ripped off my arm or my carjacked (no gun visible in commission of said crimes) . . . I have still been violated and a crime has been committed. I guess I am supposed to feel grateful or more safe or less violated b/c I didn't get shot during commission of said crimes.
Who's saying that property crime is okay? Not me. So I don't know why you feel the need to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. But keep beating that strawman if it makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM
 
308 posts, read 529,732 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The BAD PARTS of Charlotte are just as bad as East St. Louis, for ex. If you go into the BAD PARTS of any city, bad things may happen, lol.

The problem with Charlotte crime is . . . BAD THINGS happen in GOOD PARTS of town. That is the issue. That is why folks are upset about crime here. The thugs do not stay in a THUGS ONLY zone. IF they did, then all the rest of us would have to do is just avoid those parts of town.
That is true Anni. To be honest, if thugs want to kill themselves in their own neighbourhoods I say go at it. But, keep out of mine. And, the problem is that I see more and more precarious individuals in my neighbourhood daily. And, it is total BS when one says that you can't judge a person by the way he/she dresses. I can judge with 99.0 percent accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Who's saying that property crime is okay? Not me. So I don't know why you feel the need to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. But keep beating that strawman if it makes you feel better.
Dang. Touchy, much?

Pointing out that violent crime isn't the only crime that exists in Charlotte - and that crime indexes show Charlotte property crimes as higher than in other major cities - isn't creating a strawman argument.

It's all good, Sup. I think we pretty much agree that all crime sux.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
That is true Anni. To be honest, if thugs want to kill themselves in their own neighbourhoods I say go at it. But, keep out of mine. And, the problem is that I see more and more precarious individuals in my neighbourhood daily. And, it is total BS when one says that you can't judge a person by the way he/she dresses. I can judge with 99.0 percent accuracy.
Well, there may be times that one's gang affiliation shows up in clothing . . . but I try to remember that the 9/11 hijackers used the stereotype of prep style when deciding how to "blend in." So clothing can mask someone's intentions, too, lol.

But yeah, I try to be a good citizen wherever I am, but especially in my own hood. What others do in theirs - I have no control over. Just don't want anyone committing crime in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,986,181 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The BAD PARTS of Charlotte are just as bad as East St. Louis, for ex. If you go into the BAD PARTS of any city, bad things may happen, lol.

The problem with Charlotte crime is . . . BAD THINGS happen in GOOD PARTS of town. That is the issue. That is why folks are upset about crime here. The thugs do not stay in a THUGS ONLY zone. IF they did, then all the rest of us would have to do is just avoid those parts of town.
Anni surely you know that crime happens in good parts of all cities, not just Charlotte. It would be naive to think there is any part of a city you could go and be totally free of any threat of crime. It doesn't matter if you're in New York or Atlanta or Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,034,397 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Anni surely you know that crime happens in good parts of all cities, not just Charlotte. It would be naive to think there is any part of a city you could go and be totally free of any threat of crime. It doesn't matter if you're in New York or Atlanta or Charlotte.
Yes, bad things happen everywhere.

But in most cities, if you avoid known crime-saturated areas, you are probably not gonna encounter much crime. Charlotte thugs are more equal opportunity . . . they fan out into other areas.

How do we know this? Just look at the rap sheets of the criminals (repeat offenders) in this city and check out where they commit crimes. They don't necessarily stay close to home, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,986,181 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, bad things happen everywhere.

But in most cities, if you avoid known crime-saturated areas, you are probably not gonna encounter much crime. Charlotte thugs are more equal opportunity . . . they fan out into other areas.

How do we know this? Just look at the rap sheets of the criminals (repeat offenders) in this city and check out where they commit crimes. They don't necessarily stay close to home, lol.
I disagree totally with the idea that Charlotte's nicer areas are any more overrun with criminals than any other city. I've lived in Dallas and Atlanta and traveled to virtually every other city in the country. Charlotte's nice areas are no worse than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top