Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Again, baseless and false statements. Nobody is afraid of uptown, if so, they're afraid of typical urban environments; please avoid events in downtown Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, New York, New Orleans, Memphis, Indianaplis, etc. ....
Well, this is simply your opinion and you are entitled to it, yet it does not represent anything factual unless you can provide some backup information where they have scientifically surveryed people on the matter. As to what I have posted I offered up my opinion, not represented as a fact, that I found it hard to believe that such a decline would be due to just the weather. There was no lying to this. However if you want to explain further, I am willing to listen.

As for comparisons to other places, I can pick the most dangerous city in America then make the same comparison to say Bagdad and claim there is nothing to worry about. In other words it's a fallacy and mostly irrelevant to this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Well, this is simply your opinion and you are entitled to it, yet it does not represent anything factual unless you can provide some backup information where they have scientifically surveryed people on the matter. As to what I have posted I offered up my opinion, not represented as a fact, that I found it hard to believe that such a decline would be due to just the weather. There was no lying to this. However if you want to explain further, I am willing to listen.

As for comparisons to other places, I can pick the most dangerous city in America then make the same comparison to say Bagdad and claim there is nothing to worry about. In other words it's a fallacy and mostly irrelevant to this topic.
No problem, but the probability that a "shoot out" versus weather conditions caused a 5-7% drop in attendance and 1 vendor stating they had 30-40% decline in business compared to last year is at best insufficient data to make any rational conclusion. There are number of other variables that might have caused that 1 vendor to yield poor sales results (change in location, available product, one large lump sale that didn't occur this year, lackluster marketing this year, promotional gimmick that was offered this year, etc,). How does one know that other vendors had equal, better or worse sales to those of last year?

In my business, I can't rely on opinion, but more so on data, which can be manipulated if not carefully examined.

The data presented earlier is from FBI.gov (information is compiled and evaluated by econometricians/statisticians, reputable 3rd party consultants); where you can compare crime related information based on similar size cities, similar demographics and similar geographics.

Not sure why you would compare Baghdad to any city in America, totally different cultures, governments and all together too dissimilar from any city in the US (grasping for straws?).

Based on my many travels and places I have lived, Indianapolis is good a city to Charlotte with in terms of size and demographics. Again, I'm not stating OPINION but factually compiled data from a reputable source. Maybe your souce(s) will state otherwise, please feel free to share.

Lastly, no one is claiming that nothing is wrong or there isn't crime in Charlotte, quite simply, it's on par and in some cases less than very similar sized cities. It's really time to let it go, Charlotte has crime and gangs, Indianapolis has crime and gangs, Cincinnatti has crime and gangs; it's a big country, much larger than uptown.

Think I'll venture into uptown (hell's kitchen) this evening....have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte