U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times

Advertisements

Why have you waited so long to seek advice/help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,799 times
I'm a bit of a procrastinator :/ and I was going to talk to an actual police officer about the matter that I know but could not get in touch with him.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM

103 posts, read 123,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Since you obviously know me and ride with me in my car on a regular basis, you should know that I follow the law and have NEVER been pulled over or had a ticket.

But good grief, it's awesome to know I'm on the road with so many people who fully condone reckless and stupid behavior.
I don't condone reckless and stupid behavior. Secondly, the fact that you have never been pulled over has nothing to do with whether you have violated a motor vehicle law or not. You were chastising this kid for breaking the law in a way that implied that you had not so much as rolled through a stop sign once in your life.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,561 times
[quote=pjg516;19520481]Can I get a continuance and ask for my options and speak to the people "in charge" (ie. DA /ADA / Judge etc.) and then get a lawyer before my next court date or is that not usually a possibility or availability?

No, the judge is not going to grant a continuance for you to get a lawyer- thats why there is such a long period of time between when you got the ticket and your court date. As the others have suggested, I would ask for PJC- however, 29 over is considered reckless driving, so Im not sure that will even be an option. The only other possibility is to contact a lawyer tonight or tomorrow morning, and have them request a continuance. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM

It has been about a month whereas I had two - three months before my court date for a previous citation (non-vehicle related) and I have not had any money but I start a job next week. Also I do not know all of my options. Would those not be reason enough?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Folks, he knows he screwed up. He asked for help. Prayer for Judgment is probably the best advice anyone can give at this point.

It would be a good idea to get there early and see if you can talk to a DA, ADA (whatever) and seek any advice. Maybe folks will be in a helpful mood. If you have a job, or must commute to college, you could mention that in hopes that it will indicate that having no transportation would be a hardship. I believe calling it a "hardship" is a legal term.

I am sure this is "lesson learned." No use to be unkind to someone who came seeking advice.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Ok where would I ask to go to see a DA or ADA and that is a good point on the "hardship" I believe I have heard that before also. And thank you for understanding.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You're so sweet. I think Connecticut misses you.
Ha! Not bloody likely!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg516 View Post
Ok where would I ask to go to see a DA or ADA and that is a good point on the "hardship" I believe I have heard that before also. And thank you for understanding.
I don't know anything about the layout of the building where you will be going for your hearing. But i would start asking questions at the door, lol, and keep asking questions til you find someone who can either direct you to the right office or person.

Yes, I do understand. My hubby, who is called Grandma by the entire family while he is driving, got a ticket for speeding last year.

He has never gotten a speeding ticket in all of his nearly 50 years of diriving, as he drives too slowly, and on top of it, drives in the left hand lane at the speed limit (or a few miles under the limit!!!) and doesn't seem to understand why others get upset with him.

He was returning home after a long trip and for some reason, on a stretch of highway where the speed changes, he not only didn't slow down, he was going uncharacteristically faster than usual while in the higher speedzone. So he got clocked for 16 miles over the speed limit.

He was stunned. The whole family was stunned! He is the person we would all vote Most Likely to Cause an Accident by Driving Below the Speed Limit.

All he could say in his defense was that he was tired, he was moving with traffic, he was just thinking about getting home and to bed, and he just didn't realize he was speeding.

SO it happens. Even to folks who have never had a speeding ticket in their entire lives.

Good luck on getting someone to work with you on this situation.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg516 View Post
You could always accuse the cop of being dyslexic and claim that you were really only going 47.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte