Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Why do they have graduation for 4th grade? Is it really that special that it needs a graduation ceremony? Maybe I am just a grumpy old man.
I agree with your sentiments totally.

As a baby boomer, I have had occasion to work with some of the products of the "all the public recognition & congradulations that we can cram into the day" system. It's sad. Many were just fine, but a frightening number felt a need to share their disappointment, frustration, & demoralization that they were not congratulated & awarded for doing mundane tasks at work.

If the parents want to celebrate every fart that Junior lets, that's fine & their business, but the current system is not teaching the kids self-motivation. It's not preparing them for the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
It is preparing them for out-of-this-world psychiatrist bills. "I was told I did something wrong. I have to call my therapist."

Old 06-10-2011, 12:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
4th grade graduation is pathetic.

In fact, even high school graduation is pretty meaningless, because if you stop there, you are very likely to be a total loser for the rest of your life.

50 years ago a high school education might have meant something. Today it is nothing more than the end of the year before college. That is all it is.

Maybe PhD's deserve some recognition, but certainly not 4th graders and probably not high schoolers.

lln

Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
The true reward for getting an education should be a good job and knowing you made the right decisions and you can live comfortably. You don't need a party every time a child wipes his butt.

Haven't you seen Billy Madison??

"Billy passed the first gradee, ohh what a glorious dayyyyyyy."

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one out there who thinks what a terrible idea these are. In the unfortunate event that I have children who are subjected to this, I will tell them that I will be there for their high school/college graduation, otherwise, I have to work.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
IMO, this sort of thing results in doing nothing but re-enforcing the sense of entitlement that is so prevalent among people these days.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
4th graders are 7 or 8 years old... Let them have a little party celebrating academic achievements... These 4th graders are them same people who get a kick out of looking for eggs on easter and believe Santa Clause...

For my Nephew, I sure would hold him a cool little football party or something.Or at least take him to a Panthers or Checkers Game. It's a nice way to get little kids to think about college at an early age and let them set a goal of going to college. College gets more and more important each and every year that passes and anything that gets kids minds that college and graduating is a good thing is great for kids.

It's just teaching kids that graduation is a good thing. Kinda like when you tell a kid "Good job, Dude" when they use the bathroom by themselves and such. Maybe I'm just too cool of an Uncle and want my Nephews to have an awesome childhood. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I had sons of my own.

(And my nephews - for the record - are really tough fellas and far from being "little junior who gets rewarded when he farts" with good manners because their mom, grandmother and myself wears the belt out on them constantly.)

Old 06-10-2011, 07:37 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
The only graduation there should be is the graduation when you get your diploma. Anything else is just rewarding people for minor accomplishments. When i have kids there will be hell to pay for any schools that try to pull this crap.
Careful what you promise. The one promise I can make is, when you have kids you'll break plenty of those promises! !
Word sandwiches suck !

Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
Careful what you promise. The one promise I can make is, when you have kids you'll break plenty of those promises! !
Word sandwiches suck !
One of my best friends and I were always making comments about what behaviors we wouldn't allow in our kids when we had them. Now he has two daughters and it's as if those conversations never happened. Anytime I'm around, which is increasingly seldom, he says things like "it's just easier to let them have this little xyz thing or attitude". I used to respond by saying "Step up! Be a parent!" but that's done nothing but alienate me from him. So now I see him very little.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Still...30 years ago, our school district had a formal graduation ceremony at the end of 6th grade (elementary), 9th grade (it was Junior High then), and high school.

Since they've changed the format to Middle School, the grades have shifted for graduations.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
One of my best friends and I were always making comments about what behaviors we wouldn't allow in our kids when we had them. Now he has two daughters and it's as if those conversations never happened. Anytime I'm around, which is increasingly seldom, he says things like "it's just easier to let them have this little xyz thing or attitude". I used to respond by saying "Step up! Be a parent!" but that's done nothing but alienate me from him. So now I see him very little.

Lol, I know it's easy to say that now. I promise I'll work hard to stand by my words! My sister in law takes the "it's just easier' route, and my wife and I agree that if parenting was so easy, then we wouldn't have so many horrible parents in this world. We do get to practice on her niece and nephew when they visit, and I think we do an OK job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte