U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times

Advertisements

CMPD is not arresting people for having their hats on backwards, they arrested him for trespassing. Some people fail to see or just refuse to acknowledge this distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
CMPD is not arresting people for having their hats on backwards, they arrested him for trespassing. Some people fail to see or just refuse to acknowledge this distinction.
The charges are irrelevant to the issue. It's the fact the CMPD got involved in a private matter that raises the issues I brought up. The police will now have to prove to the court, if it makes it that far, they were justified in making the arrest. BTW, the Epicenter has not taken a public position whether they say it is trespassing or not. They have refused comment on the matter. It's probably not surprising given the photos I posted above.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,077,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
The charges are irrelevant to the issue. It's the fact the CMPD got involved in a private matter that raises the issues I brought up. The police will now have to prove to the court, if it makes it that far, they were justified in making the arrest. BTW, the Epicenter has not taken a public position on this. They have refused comment on the matter.
I respectfully disagree. It is in The Epicentre's best interest not to comment. Any comment would just add fuel to the fire and no matter what they said, someone would disagree and take offense to it.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Wow, any sanity that was brought into the discussion just got thrown out with that ridiculous rant about ranting....

You are telling people to quit their job after getting fired...

I don't know how good the business is at Mez because I couldn't get in... but I showed them, I chose not to go in and went somewhere else. It was MY decision
Could you explain that one? I didn't see that in the post that you responded to. I understood what he was saying. If you don't like how a business is run, don't patronize them. What could be more clear than that?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,675,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Allow me to fan the flames a bit more and yell RACIST! (the center not you)

You are correct about refusing to leave. CMPD wasn't even running security. The cops were called after the guy refused to do what regular security told him. And it's just for the Pavilion area (I think).

Man Arrested At EpiCentre After Violating Dress Code - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

But it's probably discrimination because the guy was black and the sign was written against his "type", and he didn't feel he had to obey security when they were enforcing said posted rules.

You are correct, the thread title is misleading. He was not arrested for the way he was wearing his hat.

I'm not sure if I picked up on possible e-sarcasm here or not. But I DO AGREE WITH YOU! I went to a bar last week, and they wouldn't let me in because I wasn't wearing dress shoes. I looked at them like they had two heads. Are they crazy? Then I concluded they were probably racist against white people.

I should have just barged in anyway and demanded its my right to not wear dress shoes, throw a fit, and then cry about it. Instead I just took my money elsewhere.

Some people in society are too soft. You can't please everyone, you can't always get your way. Lets grow up and move on.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:27 PM

1,493 posts, read 2,675,090 times
Quote:

I completely get the argument of what you do on private property is your concern, and this clearly was private property. However the point of the OP was that it is no longer a private issue once the CMPD was called in. At the moment they restrained Mr. Agnew it became a very public issue and thus, Mr. Agnew is afforded his full Constitutional rights (both State & Federal) in the matter. When the police arrested him, it is now the government making the charge and not the Epicenter. Their decision in the matter will now be decided in the court because as I said earlier, all government actions that affect people's rights are decided by the court.

BTW, the entire point of the Civil Rights efforts that were taken against private business in the South in the 1960s wasn't against the businesses that were discriminating. It was against the municipal authorities that enforced the private discrimination. As I said, once the government gets involved, it's no longer private. Modern Americans for the most part, simply don't understand their rights and willingly give them up to the police and other government officials.

This was the whole point of the OP even though so many here have failed to understand these distinctions. Such trivial nonsense by the police force is a huge waste of limited resources and does nothing for anyone.

I wish I had more time to re-read this, but you're saying this happened on private property. The police were then called in, and therefore it is no longer a private issue? It is now public/govt, and the incident that took place on private property should be treated differently?

What if several people were at a party in my house, started acting up, and I told them to leave. THey wouldn't leave, so I called the police. Is it suddenly a different scenario? The only other option is to take it into my own hands, and then who knows what will happen. If the property owners can't control the situation for whatever reason, or deem it safer to have police intervene, they should rightfully call the police. Sometimes people still will not leave and its easier to arrest them, let them calm down, and move on from there.

Serious question, not sure if I understood you correctly, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
What if several people were at a party in my house, started acting up, and I told them to leave. THey wouldn't leave, so I called the police. Is it suddenly a different scenario? The only other option is to take it into my own hands, and then who knows what will happen. If the property owners can't control the situation for whatever reason, or deem it safer to have police intervene, they should rightfully call the police. Sometimes people still will not leave and its easier to arrest them, let them calm down, and move on from there....
People have defined special rights relative to their own homes that don't apply anywhere else. So I am not sure this would be an analogy to a business where the party had already been allowed in and had already spent money. However forgetting that, you as the owner of the property have the right to order any guest to leave for any reason you like. However when you call the police in, they have to carefully weigh out the situation because every domestic situation is different. It's not unreasonable for the police in this situation to ask the guests to leave. The police should not instead enter the house and simply arrest everyone for trespassing without hearing all sides. Suppose the owner of the house some sort of legal arrangement, such as room rentals where these people are not simply guests? This is why the police should not be so quick to take sides.

If they did, and then it comes out later that your story isn't the same as that which you told your guests, then you and the police are liable for the arrest. The epicenter has postings on websites, as I pointed about above where they claim there is no dress code at Alive after Five. They also have photos, as I posted above, on their sponsor website showing people wearing backwards hats. In those circumstances, it's not clear the police should have been so quick to arrest Mr. Agnew. They could have asked him to leave, but it sounds as if they didn't give him the chance. (though admittedly,no one is willing to tell this side of the story)

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,753,253 times
Hmm, he may have a better case of unlawful arrest vs proving he was discriminated against....

Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm, he may have a better case of unlawful arrest vs proving he was discriminated against....
At the moment he doesn't have to prove anything. The burden of proof will be on the DA's office.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:32 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,281,574 times
Quote:
At the moment he doesn't have to prove anything. The burden of proof will be on the DA's office.
It should be obvious that Miker is referring to whatever frivolous lawsuit the "victim" may choose to attempt, not his defense against any charges the DA may file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte