Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Whats the probelm just don't go there with a backwards hat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm not slamming anyone but I do think the title is misleading. Can you link us to the original article at the Observer? I can't find anything that says CMPD is arresting people for how they are wearing hats.

And I think the person's root problem goes way back further than this incident.

Here is a link to the article:

Arrest over hat leads to EpiCentre boycott | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-11-2011, 04:48 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
They ought to have a mechanical "kicker" with a size 14 brogan and give 'um a session with that for walking in with a hat on backwards. Two sessions if your trousers are pulled down.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
The OP must have been trying to bait people into a debate since the thread title is a flat-out misrepresentation of the truth.

Sir, try thinking for a moment before giving the police a free pass and making accusations of baiting topics. There was no misrepresentation, but I did mistakenly assume that people understand what Constitution rights they have. Yes, I did mess up there.

For you all who criticized my post this let's set straight what was NOT said:
  • Nobody said that private property owners do not have the right to toss anyone off their property for not dressing correctly.
  • Nobody said there can't be dress codes on private property.
  • Nobody said the police can't be called if someone refuses to leave private property.
However:
  • What was said were the police were called.
  • The police then proceeded to tell the guy to turn his hat around. When he refused, he was then arrested.
  • The police should not be there as enforcers for a dress code.
  • The police role is just this. Tell the person to leave the property if the owner says he is trespassing and warn him he will be arrested if he doesn't. This didn't happen.
  • It was never mentioned the police gave him the option to leave the property before being charged with trespassing.
  • Instead, of enforcing the law, they enforced the owner's house rules.
Now we have a jail and a court house tied up with this nonsense. I guess there is no hope for America when people fail to understand where the limits of Police power should lie. They enforce public law, not private rules.

BTW, this is the sort of thing that one expects to see in a hick one horse town and not in a city that likes to bill itself as "world class" and finally ready for something aside from white bread.

Last edited by yantosh22; 06-11-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank you

I personally don't view management of the Epicentre as racist however. They are trying to maintain an atmosphere which will garner them the most paying customers - something any business is smart to do.
Yes I'm sure that's true, because the dress code would seem to be aimed at men. Nothing about young women dressing in an almost indecent fashion with yards of cleavage on display and almost showing their undergarments. Of course that's not half a offensive as wearing a cap backwards and probably attracts customers.

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 06-11-2011 at 07:17 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Not sure on that one. Have you read the dress code?
I can't find it on their website, which BTW is one of those extremely annoying sites where music starts playing when you go to their homepage.

I'm guessing the dress code is intended to uphold the image the Epicentre is trying to project.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
When I first read that story, I got the impression that he believes he was targeted because he's black. He made a statement:

Quote:
"I told them I was dressed just like everybody else for the weather," he said.
and I thought that the original story mentioned that he wasn't the only one there wearing his hat like that, yet he was the only one asked to remove his.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Or are you saying property owners should lose the right to decide what goes on on their own property??
They already have in some respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Can a business ban yarmulkes or crucifixes?
Many nightclubs in many cities routinely enforce certain dress codes and it is not uncommon to go to clubs in many cities and be refused entry for not meeting their dress code. Or even just because the doorman doesn't like the way one looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
BTW, this is the sort of thing that one expects to see in a hick one horse town and not in a city that likes to bill itself as "world class" and finally ready for something aside from white bread.
Really? Go to a nightclub in, say, NYC or Vegas, and refuse to comply with a request from a club bouncer / security guard and see what happens. Chances are they would physically grab you and toss you out the front (or back) door - and probably leave you with a few painful reminders of the evening as well. I've seen it happen in clubs in both cities.

The article is a little vague on the details - maybe the guy was drunk or belligerent. Maybe their policy is to have police remove people from the club instead of having the bouncer physically throw them out (which could then lead to a lawsuit).

Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I can't find it on their website, which BTW is one of those extremely annoying sites where music starts playing when you go to their homepage.

I'm guessing the dress code is intended to uphold the image the Epicentre is trying to project.
No- I couldn't find it on their website (why wouldn't it be there?) but had read it in the Observer article

The following is not permitted: Profanity on clothing, sleeveless shirts on men, bandanas, hats not worn forward, excessively torn clothing, undershirts, work boots, excessively baggy or sagging clothing, shirts of an inappropriate length, sweatsuits or athletic attire," the signs read.
The signs also say that dress codes of venues inside the EpiCentre may vary, and management reserves the right to refuse admission to or remove from the premises anyone whose "conduct is deemed to be disorderly or who fails to comply with the terms of entry."

[LEFT]Read more: Arrest over hat leads to EpiCentre boycott | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper[/LEFT]

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 06-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM

359 posts, read 591,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Sir, try thinking for a moment before giving the police a free pass and making accusations of baiting topics. There was no misrepresentation, but I did mistakenly assume that people understand what Constitution rights they have. Yes, I did mess up there.

For you all who criticized my post this let's set straight what was NOT said:
  • Nobody said that private property owners do not have the right to toss anyone off their property for not dressing correctly.
  • Nobody said there can't be dress codes on private property.
  • Nobody said the police can't be called if someone refuses to leave private property.
However:
  • What was said were the police were called.
  • The police then proceeded to tell the guy to turn his hat around. When he refused, he was then arrested.
  • The police should not be there as enforcers for a dress code.
  • The police role is just this. Tell the person to leave the property if the owner says he is trespassing and warn him he will be arrested if he doesn't. This didn't happen.
  • It was never mentioned the police gave him the option to leave the property before being charged with trespassing.
  • Instead, of enforcing the law, they enforced the owner's house rules.
Now we have a jail and a court house tied up with this nonsense. I guess there is no hope for America when people fail to understand where the limits of Police power should lie. They enforce public law, not private rules.

Were you there or are you simply reading the CO article and the journal of the guy arrested?

I see the agnew subject was arrested for second degree trespass, which means the only way in which the elements of the crime could be satisfied is if he refused to leave when asked. Any Magistrate would immediately NPC (no probable cause) an arrest if the elements were not met.

Bottom line: he was asked to leave by either a Pavilioin security officer and/or the police and refused.

Real line: He'll cry racism/discrimination while leaving out important details of the encounter

Yanatosh: If it went down the way the subject said, then yes there's a legitimate reason to get upset and cry discrimination/violation/etc. But that didn't happen

Last edited by NDAlum; 06-11-2011 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte