Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Out of interest, are there any black security guys at the Epicenter?
Yes... and he wouldn't let me in because I had on tennis shoes but let 6 white kids with shorts AND tennis shoes right after that.

Epicenter is borderline racist... I've witnessed them reject well dressed black guys while letting white men with cargo shorts and tennis shoes plenty of times.

However, a black guy with a date gets in without a problem. I can understand not wanting a bunch of guys in a club but it should go both ways. Groups of white guys with torn clothes shouldn't get in while well dressed guys get turned away.

It makes for an unpleasant evening when you have friends from out of town and they get to witness that side of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
He, he, ha, ha,. Tober where do you buy a paint brush that big? I have a 25 year old son that makes 6 figures in the digital music industry in NYC that goes to his office with his hat on backwards. Applied to NYU as his only choice for college. Accepted and went on from there to do what he does wearing his hat on backwards and his brain facing forward.

Ok, it's NYC but like OP said in one of his posts that was attacked "how will CLT ever become a class A city" with the types of attitudes that seem to prevail in this thread? Impossible.

I don't fault you for your statement, but think about the wide stroke you applied here and consider for a moment that the world is just not the Epicenter and perhaps there are a lot of non "idiots" that put their hats on backwards.
Your son is in the music industry so his attire is acceptable...

how much he makes has little to do with proper attire.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
He doesn't have a valid point, IMO. From the story I have heard, he was on private property and was asked to turn his hat around. He refused. If he thought it was so unfair why did he not simply just leave.

Perhaps the dress code wasn't being enforced uniformly, but that doesn't really matter. # 1, life is not fair and # 2, you are still on private property. If he was so concerned with justice and a boycott he should have just left immediately.

Just my two cents.
that's bull and you know it...

if the dress code isn't enforced uniformly it DOES matter.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Agree. If the dress code is not enforced across the board, consistently, then it becomes meaningless - except as a tool for discrimination.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:

Not to me it doesn't. I am white (or caucasian if you prefer) and have been barred from entering plenty of places because I didn't meet the dress code. I didn't go around looking to see if others were violating it. I just went elsewhere.

I've also been at places where I have been asked to tuck my shirt in or to curb my boisterousness. Again, I didn't go around pointing out that others may have been louder or didn't have their shirt tucked in. I knew I had three options: 1. Comply, 2. Leave of my volition, 3. Get booted (this was the usual outcome). To me, saying "but you didn't tell the others the same thing" is something you would say to your mother when you are a child.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
I work at a club and I tell kids to pull up their pants. I haven't had to kick any out, yet. At some shows we'd lose all of our male customers.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 AM

359 posts, read 591,948 times
Quote:
Yes... and he wouldn't let me in because I had on tennis shoes but let 6 white kids with shorts AND tennis shoes right after that.

Epicenter is borderline racist... I've witnessed them reject well dressed black guys while letting white men with cargo shorts and tennis shoes plenty of times.

However, a black guy with a date gets in without a problem. I can understand not wanting a bunch of guys in a club but it should go both ways. Groups of white guys with torn clothes shouldn't get in while well dressed guys get turned away.

It makes for an unpleasant evening when you have friends from out of town and they get to witness that side of Charlotte.
If this is true do something about it. Document/video tape the encounter.

There are more than enough parties interested in civil rights to take your complaint higher.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
If this is true do something about it. Document/video tape the encounter.

There are more than enough parties interested in civil rights to take your complaint higher.
True . . . but most folks are not interested in making a federal case out of a dress code, lol. Most are just gonna move on to the next venue (wh/ means a loss of revenue to said establishment).

We have become too litigious as a society . . . and too quick to file a complaint. I think some folks are complaint opportunists, lol.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Your son is in the music industry so his attire is acceptable...

how much he makes has little to do with proper attire.
Right and
wrong. My post was in response to a friend of mine that said "all ppl. that wear hats backwards are idiots". Hence my response and substantiation of his education and financial package.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True . . . but most folks are not interested in making a federal case out of a dress code, lol. Most are just gonna move on to the next venue (wh/ means a loss of revenue to said establishment).

We have become too litigious as a society . . . and too quick to file a complaint. I think some folks are complaint opportunists, lol.
Agreed. At one time civil rights meant the right to not be someone else's property. Now people use the term to suggest they should be allowed to wear their hat any way they want.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte