U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:48 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,691,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Okay, again, Charlotte isn't a TOWN it's a city. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine when I hear that! :-)

Charlotte and Raleigh are both filled with transplants so both will not be a problem. In fact both places you'll have a better chance of meeting a transplant than a born and bred southerner. They both will have tons of options for sports, many neighborhoods to choose from, and kids activities will be plentiful in both areas. Both are great places to live (or so I hear...although I personally I think Raleigh is overrated).

Charlotte is a bigger city with a bigger city feel (uptown). Although Charlotte's uptown skyscrapper feel is small it's a lot better than Raleigh's which is pretty much non-existent.

Some will sell you on Raleigh because it is "known" for the better school system but I wouldn't let that be my deciding factor because overall Raleigh may have MORE schools that have a better reputation but Charlotte does have some really great schools that are ranked among the highest in the state (Marvin & Cutherbertson, Ardrey Kell, Providence, Myers Park, ect) so if you just look in areas that are zoned for those schools you will be more than fine!

Raleigh has more of a college town vibe. There are more colleges and universities there so you will see more college aged kids downtown and I hear the nightlife is pretty cool. Charlotte's uptown area at night is pretty cool too though; Epicenter is great and uptown still has a lot of growing to do! Charlotte has more "areas" and a much bigger feel than Raleigh with more to offer. Charlotte is known for being more "family oriented" but Raleigh has Cary and other nice areas that are just as family oriented as Charlotte. And vice versa, Charlotte does have some great areas with a family oriented vibe and yet if you head uptown you won't get that "family" feel.

Both have great potential of future growth. With Charlotte winning the democratic convention it will bring a lot to this city and will always be bigger (and better in my opinion) But I am biased!

I love that Charlotte is close to the mountains and close to the beach. (About 3 hours from each) Raleigh is closer to a beach but since I prefer Charleston's beach anyway it doesn't matter much to me since Charleston is further away from Raleigh than Charlotte so Raleigh doesn't win my vote on the proximity of being closer to a beach anyway. Charlotte's location is just awesome in my opinion because it's centrally located. I love Charlotte's diversity in areas where you can be in NODA for the artsy feel, uptown to get the city feel, Ballantyne to be in the family oriented "Wisteria Lane" feel, Myers Park for the ritzy feel, South Park for the posh feel, and Dilworth for the older and yet beautiful feel, and so on and so forth. I just love LOVE love the diversity of the areas and I absolutely love the fact that I live in a city that still is growing! It's exciting when you hear of a new company moving here or future plans of developmental changes, ect.

I also feel that Charlotte's scenery, meticulousness, and overall beauty is second to none. I have been here a little over 2 years now and still amazed when I drive the streets. (I'm talking about south Charlotte area) I do realize more people appreciate it than others and I just love scenery and outdoors so I probably hype it up more than I even realize. Raleigh's also very pretty but personally I think Charlotte kicks its butt in this category; hands down!

Overall Charlotte is known to be more conservative and Raleigh to be more liberal. But I have to say that I find that I find more and more people with liberal points of view here, but being a growing city that tends to even out when more and more people move here.

From the information you provided of your needs list you will be more than happy with both areas.
I agree- we looked at both cities and Charlotte had a better choice of things to do and areas to live in that were in our price range and offered what we wanted ie combination of good schools/reasonable taxes, acceptable commute to uptown, great choice of shopping/dining, outdoor/indoor/cultural activities, public parks etc etc.
For us though the main deciding factors were the lakes, as we'd always lived very near either the coast or a river, and access to the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,623 times
Quote:
Okay, again, Charlotte isn't a TOWN it's a city. Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine when I hear that! :-)

Charlotte and Raleigh are both filled with transplants so both will not be a problem. In fact both places you'll have a better chance of meeting a transplant than a born and bred southerner. They both will have tons of options for sports, many neighborhoods to choose from, and kids activities will be plentiful in both areas. Both are great places to live (or so I hear...although I personally I think Raleigh is overrated).

Charlotte is a bigger city with a bigger city feel (uptown). Although Charlotte's uptown skyscrapper feel is small it's a lot better than Raleigh's which is pretty much non-existent.

Some will sell you on Raleigh because it is "known" for the better school system but I wouldn't let that be my deciding factor because overall Raleigh may have MORE schools that have a better reputation but Charlotte does have some really great schools that are ranked among the highest in the state (Marvin & Cutherbertson, Ardrey Kell, Providence, Myers Park, ect) so if you just look in areas that are zoned for those schools you will be more than fine!

Raleigh has more of a college town vibe. There are more colleges and universities there so you will see more college aged kids downtown and I hear the nightlife is pretty cool. Charlotte's uptown area at night is pretty cool too though; Epicenter is great and uptown still has a lot of growing to do! Charlotte has more "areas" and a much bigger feel than Raleigh with more to offer. Charlotte is known for being more "family oriented" but Raleigh has Cary and other nice areas that are just as family oriented as Charlotte. And vice versa, Charlotte does have some great areas with a family oriented vibe and yet if you head uptown you won't get that "family" feel.

Both have great potential of future growth. With Charlotte winning the democratic convention it will bring a lot to this city and will always be bigger (and better in my opinion) But I am biased!

I love that Charlotte is close to the mountains and close to the beach. (About 3 hours from each) Raleigh is closer to a beach but since I prefer Charleston's beach anyway it doesn't matter much to me since Charleston is further away from Raleigh than Charlotte so Raleigh doesn't win my vote on the proximity of being closer to a beach anyway. Charlotte's location is just awesome in my opinion because it's centrally located. I love Charlotte's diversity in areas where you can be in NODA for the artsy feel, uptown to get the city feel, Ballantyne to be in the family oriented "Wisteria Lane" feel, Myers Park for the ritzy feel, South Park for the posh feel, and Dilworth for the older and yet beautiful feel, and so on and so forth. I just love LOVE love the diversity of the areas and I absolutely love the fact that I live in a city that still is growing! It's exciting when you hear of a new company moving here or future plans of developmental changes, ect.

I also feel that Charlotte's scenery, meticulousness, and overall beauty is second to none. I have been here a little over 2 years now and still amazed when I drive the streets. (I'm talking about south Charlotte area) I do realize more people appreciate it than others and I just love scenery and outdoors so I probably hype it up more than I even realize. Raleigh's also very pretty but personally I think Charlotte kicks its butt in this category; hands down!

Overall Charlotte is known to be more conservative and Raleigh to be more liberal. But I have to say that I find that I find more and more people with liberal points of view here, but being a growing city that tends to even out when more and more people move here.

From the information you provided of your needs list you will be more than happy with both areas.
AmandaEve, your post alone sold me on Charlotte, and I didn't need any convincing anyway! I just landed a job an hour away in Lexington (my hometown), I think I will stay there for a good while, and hopefully in another year, I will save up to buy me a place to stay in Charlotte on weekends, while I stay with my parents during the week!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM

123 posts, read 245,876 times
I have lived in both areas (presently Charlotte since January). I would agree that both areas are very desirable for folks seeking a nice place to live with children. There are great schools in both areas if you seek them out, there are great resaurants, and parks etc. There are also tons of things to do. Both have a different feel to them for sure. I would not agree though that Raleigh is more liberal. I would say it is just the opposite. I also would say that there is a night life now finally in Raleigh since many stores and restaurants have opened up recently. It is definitely though more like a big town vs. Charlotte which has a true city feel! Either way, NC rocks! Good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM

554 posts, read 1,313,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
AmandaEve, your post alone sold me on Charlotte, and I didn't need any convincing anyway! I just landed a job an hour away in Lexington (my hometown), I think I will stay there for a good while, and hopefully in another year, I will save up to buy me a place to stay in Charlotte on weekends, while I stay with my parents during the week!
Wow, thanks pwcfromnc, I'm glad to help! I really like to help with my input because I was in many people's shoes not too long ago....I was back and forth between cities )specifically Charlotte and Raleigh) for awhile before choosing Charlotte; and if there's one thing I DONT lack it's research! I like to find out as much as possible before making a decision! And I'm so happy that I made the right one! Charlotte rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck6 View Post
Amanda-I will never refer to charlotte as a town again! LOL. Thanks for the info!

South- I did look into kings mountain but we would like to rent for a year and it doesn't seem to have much in the way of rentals.

I was really just looking to see what people love about their city to gain perspective of what different viewpoints of the areas are. I will look at the other posts re: comparing the two. Thanks!
No problem! Good luck to you! I'm glad you find my sense of humor in it and that you didn't think I was offensive like some others...lol....good luck to you in your decision, I really don't think you'll be disappointed with either decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I would ignore the comment chastizing you for using town. NYers are the only people who I've ever run into who have that hangup.
Chill...i wasn't "chantizing" and clearly the OP didn't think so either. And the "NYer" comment is uncalled for. It doesn't even make sense as to say that NYers have a problem with calling Charlotte a "town" and not a "city". Why don't you just leave the DIRECT conversation between me and the OP to ourselves and you just give your opinion!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 PM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Chill...i wasn't "chantizing" and clearly the OP didn't think so either. And the "NYer" comment is uncalled for. It doesn't even make sense as to say that NYers have a problem with calling Charlotte a "town" and not a "city". Why don't you just leave the DIRECT conversation between me and the OP to ourselves and you just give your opinion!
Thanks, I did give my opinion, on this thread & her other. If she chooses Charlotte, her husband will be working in Gastonia & she has to decide between North Charlotte & Rutherfordton.

I said that the only people who I have ever experienced who would go to the trouble of telling people not to use town in reference to a city have been NYers, not that all NYers do it. The OP asked about the Charlotte & Raleigh areas. That includes towns. Logistically, if she picks Rutherfordton, Charlotte is out of the mix for living. It would be a place for shopping & entertainment. Have a nice day.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck6 View Post
I've narrowed it down to charlotte and raleigh areas. Tell me why I should moved to your town! Jobs aren't an issue but schools are a huge one! Area needs to be family friendly and accepts transplants! Looking for suburb type neighborhood 4+ brdm home. Sports, and kids activities a must! Why should we pick your city?
Here ya go.....Enjoy!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...-barred-2.html

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM

554 posts, read 1,313,614 times
Quote:
Thanks, I did give my opinion, on this thread & her other. If she chooses Charlotte, her husband will be working in Gastonia & she has to decide between North Charlotte & Rutherfordton.

I said that the only people who I have ever experienced who would go to the trouble of telling people not to use town in reference to a city have been NYers, not that all NYers do it. The OP asked about the Charlotte & Raleigh areas. That includes towns. Logistically, if she picks Rutherfordton, Charlotte is out of the mix for living. It would be a place for shopping & entertainment. Have a nice day.
Ohhh PLEASE! Are you seriously going to pretend that you didn't insinuate that as an insult to NYers? So what then? You just said it because you found it interesting that all the people that would go to the trouble of "town" vs. "city" are from NY?? Give me a break!

And just to CLARIFY...Charlotte is a CITY; there are suburbs that may be in the "area" of Charlotte that may be a town...but Charlotte is a city.

BUT who cares! On to the discussion....

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,418,617 times
Quote:

I would ignore the comment chastizing you for using town. NYers are the only people who I've ever run into who have that hangup.

Yeah - although more specifically I think you're referring to Long Islanders more then NYers in general - where the whole hamlet, town, village, and "the city" thing is a big deal.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:40 AM

21,900 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah - although more specifically I think you're referring to Long Islanders more then NYers in general - where the whole hamlet, town, village, and "the city" thing is a big deal.
+4
Thanks Mikey. I've run into that for decades & never understood it. It made even less sense to me in this thread because the OP was asking about the areas which includes towns. Heck, the only reason that I continually punch city in City of Kings Mountain is because it's usually confused with the unincorporated township. On the other hand, I also call it a town frequently.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,924,108 times
SB_295, for what it's worth, and it's a credit to you, I've never even heard of City of Kings Mountain OR Kings Mountain until I started reading things on this board, and I'd been in Charlotte for about 12 years at that point! I

think I can clarify your confusion, although it won't be of much help to the OP. About 6 decades ago, the areas around the 5 burroughs of NYC were very rural. That includes LI, northern NJ, Westchester County, NY and Fairfield County, CT. Right after WWII and for many decades thereafter, large numbers of families, especially (but not only) Irish, Italian, German and Jewish families, who had been living in Manhattan and the outer borroughs (FYI - Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island) started moving onward and outward and eventually those rural areas became the now densely populated areas of the NYC metro area (the Tri-State). When the children and grandchildren of those people refer to NYC, it is as "the city". or, "The place where Mom and Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa lived before they got out to 5 Towns/Greenwich/Paramus/White Plains, etc.". A very large number of those children and grandchildren started moving even further out about 20 years ago and many have wound up in NC, primarily the Raleigh and Charlotte areas. When I moved down here it took me a long time to remember to say "I used to live in New York City" istead of just saying, "in the city". The bewildered looks I got from anyone who wasn't from there eventually trained me. So it might be jarring from someone who grew up in view of the Manhattan skyline ('the city") to hear Charlotte or Raleigh referred to with the same name. Just a guess.

To the OP, Charlotte and Raleigh have a lot in common, but are distinctly different CITIES. You really need to plan longish visits to both to explore and decide. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or